• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Updated Ford Intelligent Backup Power page (no longer) details 320-Amp Home Service o_O

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wow, just started reading this, and it's changed since I started reading the thread. We're in Texas, so, we obviously, are curious about the home charging feature, and are on, hopefully, our last solar inspection to get our 7kw solar system turned up (stay away from NuWatt, at least in Texas, a 4 month odyssey so far.) We're close to possibly getting a 2022, probably right on the cusp.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Ford actually updated the page after I spoke to them last week about the Intelligent Backup Power system. I have a new video on the system with a link in another thread here.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Ford actually updated the page after I spoke to them last week about the Intelligent Backup Power system. I have a new video on the system with a link in another thread here.
You do man!

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
Think we can prod sunrun or Ford more for the cost of goods/installation? Slightly frustrating because for some people it could make the decision on what model they order and feels a bit like it’s being hidden intentionally so that people will go for higher end models before the cost is made public.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Think we can prod sunrun or Ford more for the cost of goods/installation? Slightly frustrating because for some people it could make the decision on what model they order and feels a bit like it’s being hidden intentionally so that people will go for higher end models before the cost is made public.
Yeah, at this point I think they are holding back intentionally. Given the kit will have an 10kW (minimum) inverter ($2k to $3k) an automatic transfer switch ($1k to $2k?) And a standby battery ($?), I wouldn't be surprised to see the installation kit priced between $5) and $7.5k - maybe even $10k. Installation will also be pricy given that 2 separate circuits need to be run to the Charge Station Pro.

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
Yeah, at this point I think they are holding back intentionally. Given the kit will have an 10kW (minimum) inverter ($2k to $3k) an automatic transfer switch ($1k to $2k?) And a standby battery ($?), I wouldn't be surprised to see the installation kit priced between $5) and $7.5k - maybe even $10k. Installation will also be pricy given that 2 separate circuits need to be run to the Charge Station Pro.
My new house has an in-line natural gas generator anyway so backup power doesn’t mean that much to me. Tempted to set up a 48A charger myself and sell the charge station pro (Tom thinks for $2-3K) after I order my lariat ER and call it a day.

Good news is I probably won’t order till wave 6/MY2023 so plenty of time for others to be the Guinea pigs ?

Normanrabbit

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Is any one frustrated like I am that the intelligent backup system will not be able to charge the lightening with the solar panel during the day. It means that the power will just bleed out slower. It’s almost cheaper to get a off grid system

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My new house has an in-line natural gas generator anyway so backup power doesn’t mean that much to me. Tempted to set up a 48A charger myself and sell the charge station pro (Tom thinks for $2-3K) after I order my lariat ER and call it a day.

Good news is I probably won’t order till wave 6/MY2023 so plenty of time for others to be the Guinea pigs ?
I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I have a relatively new natural gas(in-line) whole home generator in working order for the very sporadic power outages I have. (We have underground lines..a few times per year max). I'm debating if the home power thing is worth it..given the cost of putting in a 100A circuit and wiring. I am wondering what the cost difference would be just to get either a 40A EVSE and have a plug installed or hard wire a 48A EVSE. I probably need more than 32A charging speed but since this would be for overnight charging I don't need to charge at 80A.

Last edited:

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I have a relatively new natural gas(in-line) whole home generator in working order for the very sporadic power outages I have. (We have underground lines..a few times per year max). I'm debating if the home power thing is worth it..given the cost of putting in a 100A circuit and wiring. I am wondering what the cost difference would be just to get either a 40A EVSE and have a plug installed or hard wire a 48A EVSE. I probably need more than 32A charging speed but since this would be for overnight charging I don't need to charge at 90A.
Yeah I’m thinking 48A EVSE would cover my charging needs. Mostly drive local anyway. And minimal power outages with a setup already in place. Not worth the trouble for the charge station pro install. Plus, if Tom is right about aftermarket value, could make a pretty good profit by selling that and buying the 48A EVSE. I’m not that up to date on EV battery wear and tear but I would imagine 48A charging would mean slightly less wear and tear on long term battery life vs 80A charging, no?

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Is any one frustrated like I am that the intelligent backup system will not be able to charge the lightening with the solar panel during the day. It means that the power will just bleed out slower. It’s almost cheaper to get a off grid system
I would be but while Tom got some good info I believe it is still incomplete if even fully accurate. Ford is only going so far with this feature and leaving it to others/Sunrun to deal with. In fact, this could probably go in the bait and switch thread. Instead of saying thigs like "If the lights go out at home, rest easy. Your F-150 Lightning automatically begins powering your home when connected to the 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and Home Integration System" and simply said "Use your Lightning as a portable 7.2kW home backup generator or use the Charge Station Pro for access to power directly from the Mega Super Mindblowy battery pack". Instead they've tricked the likes of Motortrend into believing the truck itself is bidirectional. It is not, they just built in provision to tap into the traction battery pack voltage.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Yeah I’m thinking 48A EVSE would cover my charging needs. Mostly drive local anyway. And minimal power outages with a setup already in place. Not worth the trouble for the charge station pro install. Plus, if Tom is right about aftermarket value, could make a pretty good profit by selling that and buying the 48A EVSE. I’m not that up to date on EV battery wear and tear but I would imagine 48A charging would mean slightly less wear and tear on long term battery life vs 80A charging, no?
It might but might be lower on an onboard charger and overall charging efficiency curve as well.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

The only people not getting the 80A Charge Station Pro with their order are purchasing SR trims. Those trims only support up to 48A charging so there will be no market to sell to people wanting to charge faster. SR buyers who want to spring for intelligent home backup already have to buy a bunch of other hardware from Sunrun - Sunrun may even bundle an ER and SR support package for all we know.

However, there could eventually be a good market with ER owners who want an 80A EVSE at home AND at work/shop. Also, fleet operators buy.

Ccarm6

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning
The only people not getting the 80A Charge Station Pro with their order are purchasing SR trims. Those trims only support up to 48A charging so there will be no market to sell to people wanting to charge faster. SR buyers who want to spring for intelligent home backup already have to buy a bunch of other hardware from Sunrun - Sunrun may even bundle an ER and SR support package for all we know.

However, there could eventually be a good market with ER owners who want an 80A EVSE at home AND at work/shop. Also, fleet operators buy.
Yeah I realize it may not come to fruition and I’m certainly not counting on the money from selling it but regardless I’d still rather buy a 48A charger for $600-700 and live with my current generator set up as opposed to spending $1000s to $10000 on the high end if I need to upgrade my service from utility as well in order to install the 80A charger and inverter from sun run. Benefit of backup for me just doesn’t seem worth the trouble and cost. If I have room for 100A breaker on current service (not sure if I do yet as I’m moving to a new house around April and I forgot to take a pic of the breaker panel) then I’ll consider installing the charge station pro and not hooking up backup power/inverter setup if that’s allowed
Sponsored