• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
This is some of the craziest off road speed I’ve seen with the F-150 Lightning. The guy driving it, is a well known YouTuber. He has a video with 30 million views “still got it”. Knows a lot about survival. I felt bad for the Lightning owner and his vehicle, but it’s a company vehicle.I would have had to change my shorts after that ride, if it was my Lightning.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I feel like this guy is probably an expert at some things, way more so than me on survival things, and obviously military things (being a former Ranger, apparently), but I don’t really think he’s an expert on vehicles.

He claims that “any gas vehicle with differentials, axles, and CV joints would fracture” in the test he did, but:

1) The Lightning has CV Joints
2) No chance the Lightning is better/more capable at avoiding damage at high-speed off-roading than a Raptor.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The Lightning has an open front differential and a locking rear differential.
The independent suspension makes it handle different than the typical truck.

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
I feel like this guy is probably an expert at some things, way more so than me on survival things, and obviously military things (being a former Ranger, apparently), but I don’t really think he’s an expert on vehicles.

He claims that “any gas vehicle with differentials, axles, and CV joints would fracture” in the test he did, but:

1) The Lightning has CV Joints
2) No chance the Lightning is better/more capable at avoiding damage at high-speed off-roading than a Raptor.
He may have gone overboard with some of those claims… but the military has some amazing driving schools, and the Spec Ops guys are among the type that gets to attend them.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
He may have gone overboard with some of those claims… but the military has some amazing driving schools, and the Spec Ops guys are among the type that gets to attend them.
I would definitely defer to him on *driving*, but at least a couple of his claims on failure modes are demonstrably false and/or make no sense.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I would definitely defer to him on *driving*, but at least a couple of his claims on failure modes are demonstrably false and/or make no sense.
the most generous interpretation of his statements would be to (1) give him a roughly 10% professional hyperbole buffer (he’s a YouTuber, afterall), then (2) take him to be mentioning the suspension setup as a whole system (eg rather than the singular fact of CV joint vs no CV joint), then (3) realize he’s clearly not overall familiar with BEV differences (eg center of gravity)

at that, there’s some possible credibility to the notion that the Lightning performs and withstands differently from eg the F350 he says he drives personally. The suspension in the lightning I believe reading is materially beefed up from a regular F150, if only from the necessity of the added weight and performance/acceleration requirements.

and he does go on to mostly conclude/focus on the point that this stuff only feels better until the moment of failure - and that you can’t really judge until you have several of those failures under your belt
Sponsored