• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Want more than 30 Amps (pro-power) what happened to 9.6KW?

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Why just a 30 Amp outlet?

I live is SW Florida. Power outages come every few hurricane seasons- and typically last a week or two on our particular grid. Particularly frustrating when you can literally look across the street (newer grid) and they may not lose power at all.

At any rate- is there a way to get more than 30 amps 240v out of a single outlet with pro-power?

We have two ac’s in our home- I can power one of them and essential outlets with fairly large generator. But the second AC requires a 50amp service. I was hopeful there would be a way to have the truck energize that circuit, but on my own am unable to figure out a solution.
Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
No

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
No because 9.6KW is shared by two separate inverters with the bigger one at 7.2KW so 30 amps is the max

OP
OP

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Are there no sync solutions for the two inverters?

Sponsored

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
If you know what you are doing you could explore the option of paralleling the two inverters. This would only work if they work “in step” with one another. You would have to measure if they are in step or not.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you know what you are doing you could explore the option of paralleling the two inverters. This would only work if they work “in step” with one another. You would have to measure if they are in step or not.
No, you can’t. They’re not the same voltage.

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
You could potentially parallel L1 of the front inverter with L1 or L2 of the rear inverter as long as you bond the neutrals. The rear inverter puts out a single split phase (180 degree offset sinus wave), the forward inverter only has L1.

Again, your gonna first need to ensure both inverters are in step with an oscilloscope

L1 to L2 = 230 volts
L1 to N = 120 volts
L2 to N = 120 volts

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You could potentially parallel L1 of the front inverter with L1 or L2 of the rear inverter as long as you bond the neutrals. The rear inverter puts out a single split phase (180 degree offset sinus wave), the forward inverter only has L1.

Again, your gonna first need to ensure both inverters are in step with an oscilloscope

L1 to L2 = 230 volts
L1 to N = 120 volts
L2 to N = 120 volts
I think you should do this and let us know how it works!

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I live is SW Florida. Power outages come every few hurricane seasons- and typically last a week or two on our particular grid. Particularly frustrating when you can literally look across the street (newer grid) and they may not lose power at all.

At any rate- is there a way to get more than 30 amps 240v out of a single outlet with pro-power?

We have two ac’s in our home- I can power one of them and essential outlets with fairly large generator. But the second AC requires a 50amp service. I was hopeful there would be a way to have the truck energize that circuit, but on my own am unable to figure out a solution.
The best thing to do is to supplement/buffer it. Auxiliary battery system, doesn’t have to be big with a dedicated inverter.

The truck would serve to power up the batteries and your house would technically be powered by the bank. This would allow your surge loads and occasional high use while saving you money as you’d still have access to the trucks full bank. Your AC isn’t likely to be pulling a full continuous 50A but is likely surging to it so this would accommodate that.

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
To mitigate the issue of your A/C motors overdrawing during startup (inrush current during magnetic field buildup) you can install soft starters.

https://enphase.com/store/accessories/accessories-storage/soft-starters

Putting these on your A/C motors will also extend the service life overall. Highly recommended for all one and two stage compressors.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military

The simple answer is no.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
everyone is correct: the LIGHTING uses TWO separate INVERTERS...some of the trucks do NOT include the OPTIONAL ProPower(the additional 7.2kw output option), and therefore the additional ProPower 240v 30amp outlet, and it's own inverter, is for this OPTIONAL power output only. The 'standard' truck comes only with 2.4kw output, via 120v 20amp outlets, thru it's own inverter, very much the same as the Ford F150 'Hybrids' have.

as for 'combining' two 20 amp outlets into a 240v power supply, via a 'Y' adapter, it MIGHT be possible: IF the BED's 20amp outlet is on a DIFFERENT phase than the other outlets, it's quite possible - I might give it a try later today. This would be a 240v 20amp power maximum, but if it were in use, it would also derate the amount of the power available to the 240v 30amp twist-lock BED outlet, since some of that power would be coming from the optional ProPower INVERTER.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You can set up the home integration for home power backup. This gets you 9.6kW (240V @ 40A), but requires the extra disconnect and switch hardware that work with the charge station pro. IMO, that’s a lot of extra for a bit of single-plug convenience and 10 extra Amps…. It is capable of a sustained 40A load and uses a dedicated 50A circuit to return power to the panel.
Sponsored