• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What percentage should I charge my battery to daily using the Ford Charge Station Pro?

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
For the past three weeks I've been using a 350KWH DC Fast Charger with EA and today my Ford Charge Station Pro was installed . .

So I've been reading a lot here on everyone's different thoughts on charging limits, but the default settings on the Lightning are
90% when using a DC Fast charger
100% using the ford charge station pro .
- Many of you out here don't recommend charging daily to 100% even using a slower charger, and others of you say that the battery buffers are significant enough to not get near the true 100% so 100% is fine.

Who is correct here as I've read so many different opinions?.. Also, you would think Ford would not set the default setting to 100% if it didn't think the EV newbie would just leave the defaults if that truly effected the life of the battery.

So what should I do?
Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
The rule of thumb is keep it between 30% and 80% to keep the battery at better long-term health. Only charge it higher if you know you are going to need the extra miles.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
The rule of thumb is keep it between 30% and 80% to keep the battery at better long-term health. Only charge it higher if you know you are going to need the extra miles.
Not good to go below 30 on the regular? I figured I would probably take mine down to 15-20 before charging (using mostly for commuting, 99% of the time charging at home with FCSP)

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Not good to go below 30 on the regular? I figured I would probably take mine down to 15-20 before charging (using mostly for commuting, 99% of the time charging at home with FCSP)
I wouldn't continuously keep telling it under 20%, but that's just me. There's really no reason to take it under unless your trip leaves you with no choice.

Sponsored

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ‘22 Maverick XL
not sure I’ve seen numbers this conservative. 10% - 90% seem more common. Rate of charge / temp / if the vehicle is sitting for a long time also matter. Plus, most ev’s have buffer built in on both sides…

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Personally, I'd charge back up to 80% every day, no need to skip charging.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
I wouldn't continuously keep telling it under 20%, but that's just me. There's really no reason to take it under unless your trip leaves you with no choice.
I guess I was just thinking about minimizing overall charging cycles. The difference between 15 and 30% minimum is one days worth of commute, which defers the need to charge by 1 day between charges. Although TBH have not yet dug into the wealth of knowledge here re: EV batteries and best practices for longevity

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I guess I was just thinking about minimizing overall charging cycles. The difference between 15 and 30% minimum is one days worth of commute, which defers the need to charge by 1 day between charges. Although TBH have not yet dug into the wealth of knowledge here re: EV batteries and best practices for longevity
You can Google it and find out a lot of the reasoning behind it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I found the last SK battery pack I tested had derated the pack by almost 50% (the part that the BMS allowed you to use was about 50% of the actual capacity of what the number of cells included in the pack could do.)
I thought I read that the first Lightnings were supposed to have LG Chem batteries until SK Battery America production ramped. I was hoping to see some manufacturer's content labels posted for a possible clue.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I thought I read that the first Lightnings were supposed to have LG Chem batteries until SK Battery America production ramped. I was hoping to see some manufacturer's content labels posted for a possible clue.
I very much hope not.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I am going to charge to 100% on L2 every week.
90% for L3 DCFC - very rare.

JRTN34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, 2020 Tesla Model Y

Dirtyrider89

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Technician for cranes
You do you..don't worry about my 12 years of experience testing batteries and cells 😂
So what’s the secret charge percent to last 20 years any links to the forum pages
Sponsored