• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Questions Do You Have? (I'm attending the Event tomorrow.)

OP
OP
Sun Devil

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
At the Pro event earlier there were 2 Pro models. They had running boards. I am making an assumption that this means after market running boards are possible.

I got to go on the ride along. It was crazy fun.
It was a blast. I was grateful I stayed until the end which was around 6 pm. I was able to get a second ride along. I was able to have the Pro and the XLT experience. I was kind of disappointed they didn't have the Lariat for the ride along, but they did have it there rather than the Platinum as the display vehicle. Very impressive handling and acceleration!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sun Devil

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
Ford F-150 Lightning What Questions Do You Have? (I'm attending the Event tomorrow.) 1630560762415
Did anyone else get this email this month? I'm curious what thoughts people have about what it means that his date and time of his reservation have been verified. Haven't all of our reservation dates and times been verified? Any other super early reservation holders get this email?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
1630560762415.png
Did anyone else get this email this month? I'm curious what thoughts people have about what it means that his date and time of his reservation have been verified. Haven't all of our reservation dates and times been verified? Any other super early reservation holders get this email?
I reserved about 20 mins after reveal as I had to go through the account creation... didn't get any email other than the original one.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
1630560762415.png
I got busy at work and wasn’t able to reserve until a couple of hours after the reveal. Yet I got this email on 8/5 as well.

I don’t think it means ordering is imminent. It just says “this fall.” That could be anywhere between 3 weeks from now and 4 months from now.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Will the Pro Trim have the fold down work surface? He says all models will have the fold down work surface. (As a side note, I asked about the bench seat and he thinks it will be an option in future years.)
That's interesting I thought before it was confirmed the Pro did not have the work surface? Its not that the fold down shifter wasn't there but they were pretty adamant it wouldn't have it.

Sponsored

Ciancagl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Sales
This is a big one for me, will people who already have home charging stations have the option of buying the Lightning without the ford charging station for a discount? I already have a charger in my driveway and one in my garage...
If you buy a higher trim model that comes with the charging station I’ll buy it from you,
I got busy at work and wasn’t able to reserve until a couple of hours after the reveal. Yet I got this email on 8/5 as well.

I don’t think it means ordering is imminent. It just says “this fall.” That could be anywhere between 3 weeks from now and 4 months from now.
I got that email on 8/19. Subject was “You’re one step closer to the future of electric”

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
1630560762415.png
I got this email. I considered it as a generic confirmation email and talking points.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
thank you for taking the time to ask all these questions

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
1630560762415.png
I just got this email today and I reserved only a week ago. I think it's just a generic email.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
  1. More information on the inverter for the intelligent power back up. He says they don't know as they are waiting on SunRun. I asked if any electrician can install it and he says believes it is proprietary to SunRun. But he isn't positive.
  2. Will the 80A EVSE connect with a J1772 connector or CCS connector? HE says both. I don't know enough about the charges yet to challenge him.
  3. Will equipment needed for intelligent home back-up, apart from the 80A EVSE, be proprietary to Ford or Sunrun? He believes SunRun has proprietary equipment. However, he also said SunRun hasn't told them anything yet so he could be wrong.
  4. Can the vehicle be charged while operating in the off grid mode? yes
  5. Can the intelligent home back-up and pro power onboard output operate at the same time for up to the total of 17.6kW indicated on tech spec pages for "onboard charger power output"? He believes yes, but isn't sure.
  6. Will non Ford EVs be able to use the pro charger at the 80A rate some time in the future, or is it proprietary enough to preclude that? Non Ford EVs can use it no problem.
  7. Can they provide any more details about how home power backup will work? (what equipment is needed beside the truck and charge station pro, does it use the inverter on truck, etc). It will not use the inverter on the truck. It requires the SunRun inverter he says.
Thank you for asking these questions!

I'm hoping he is only moderately informed on the intelligent back-up feature, because with how Ford is advertising the feature they had better not be waiting on Sunrun for implementation. J1772 essentially fits into a portion of the CCS inlet - I am guessing he means the charger will have a CCS connector on it and not both, but again not sure how familiar he is with EVs and the new product. For this reason, I am taking his confirmation of being able to be charged off-grid (truck is grid-forming) with a grain of salt. Regarding all EVs being able to use the 80A charger - what he said is probably only true for vehicles equipped with CCS inlets which is most modern EVs (sorry Leaf owners with Chademo).

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I just returned from the Lightning Tour. Here are the questions and the answers I received:
  1. Two charging ports? (Different location on the Pro?) No. Only one charging port and it is the same on all trims. The other is only cosmetic.
  2. Are the rear lights different between the trims? No, the same on all trims. (This is not the tailgate light.)
  3. Does the Pro have running boards as an option? If no, Would aftermarket running board be feasible? He wasn't sure.
  4. What is the target production of lightning in 2022? Confirm 15,000 will be built in 2022. He isn't sure. I asked about the 15,000 amount and he says he hasn't seen that from Ford.
  5. Can you do all the financing and purchasing online? He isn't sure. He believes that is a dealer question.
  6. Why no ER on the Pro trim? Is the "no ER on Pro for consumers" only for 2022 or is this permanent? He says it is very possible that the Pro will have ER in future years, just not on the 2022 due to demand.
  7. Is Fleet and Commercial one and the same for the Pro? (Fleet only) Yes.
  8. Sid Ford mention a Plug In Hybrid F150 (PHEV) like Chevy Volt's and Toyota RAV4 Prime's? This seems like it would be a more logical extension of the Hybrid Power Boost F150, which by the way I have and love? Nothing has been announced.
  9. Will the Pro Trim have the fold down work surface? He says all models will have the fold down work surface. (As a side note, I asked about the bench seat and he thinks it will be an option in future years.)
  10. More information on the inverter for the intelligent power back up. He says they don't know as they are waiting on SunRun. I asked if any electrician can install it and he says believes it is proprietary to SunRun. But he isn't positive.
  11. Will leases be available on the Lightning at launch? He isn't sure but doesn't know why it wouldn't be.
  12. How will the ordering be done for reservation holders? He has no idea. (More about this below.)
  13. Gooseneck hitch? Told no. He claims none of their half-ton F150's have this and the Lightning won't either. I don't know if this is true or not.
  14. 4 bolts holding the battery pack in place? He laughed and said the Town and Country guy really had his own agenda script. What he said was there are 4 bolts on each side.
  15. Can Individually replace specific cells in battery pack? Yes!
  16. Is there a bedliner included with the truck? Is Pro bed come sprayed standard? Or it is bare with a liner as option? He believes it is an option and comes standard on certain trim levels.
  17. What is the clearance from the ground to the lowest point at the rear bumper/hitch on the Pro? 9"
  18. Also will the Ford Options Balloon Payment be available for the lightning like the Mach-E? He doesn't know why not, but he isn't sure.
  19. will people who already have home charging stations have the option of buying the Lightning without the ford charging station for a discount? I already have a charger in my driveway and one in my garage… No. It comes with the charger. He says it will work better with their charger.
  20. Will the 80A EVSE connect with a J1772 connector or CCS connector? HE says both. I don't know enough about the charges yet to challenge him.
  21. Will equipment needed for intelligent home back-up, apart from the 80A EVSE, be proprietary to Ford or Sunrun? He believes SunRun has proprietary equipment. However, he also said SunRun hasn't told them anything yet so he could be wrong.
  22. Can the vehicle be charged while operating in the off grid mode? yes
  23. Can the intelligent home back-up and pro power onboard output operate at the same time for up to the total of 17.6kW indicated on tech spec pages for "onboard charger power output"? He believes yes, but isn't sure.
  24. I would love to know how much 12V power the DC/DC converter can supply to aftermarket accessories (e.g. winch, audio amplifiers, etc) and if there is space for a full size 12v battery anywhere. He pointed out there is already a 12v battery behind the door compartment in the frunk.
  25. What's the cost of the 80A pro charger available for purchase separately with STD battery? He believes $1,500.
  26. Will non Ford EVs be able to use the pro charger at the 80A rate some time in the future, or is it proprietary enough to preclude that? Non Ford EVs can use it no problem.
  27. How to open frunk when 12V battery dies? He says they are looking into that question themselves. He doesn't know yet.
  28. Would there be an issue if I replace 12V battery with Lithium Ion? No issue, but he doesn't know why you would.
  29. Will there be a cloth interior option on the Pro model? He believes there will be but they haven't seen the guide yet. He said whatever options currently exist on the equivalent F150 trim levels will be available on the Lightning.
  30. Will there be a leather option on the XLT? See answer above.
  31. Will there be an option for the 15.5” on the XLT? He doesn't know as they haven't seen the guide yet.
  32. Will there be tether anchors in backseat of Pro model for forward facing car seats (3 at once)? There are only 2. There isn't one in the middle seat.
  33. When Ford provided the number of reservations (currently over 120k), is that just retail or does that include commercial as well? He says Ford has not told them.
  34. Is the battery design / manufacturing from SKI for the lightning sufficiently different from the LG pouch cells to avoid the fire problems the Bolt is having? I worry this guy, although he seemed to be the main guy there (Mo for those of you who attend in the future) may not know what he is talking about. He says they are LG batteries. I said everything I have read is that they are SKI batteries. He was surprised by that.
  35. Can they provide any more details about how home power backup will work? (what equipment is needed beside the truck and charge station pro, does it use the inverter on truck, etc). It will not use the inverter on the truck. It requires the SunRun inverter he says.
  36. When will the build and price tool be released and will that be in advance of orders opening up? He said that a person there received an email and it told him the build and pricing tool would be made available to him soon. He pointed him out to me and I spoke with the guy. He says he is confused by the email. It says his place in line has been reserved. He says he has no idea what that is supposed to mean. It was sent on August 5th. He is interpreting the language, "your place in line has been reserved" means he is part of the 15,000. He says he reserved within 10 minutes of the reveal. The photo of this portion is below. I am not sure what to think. But he is under the impression he will be able to price and build his lightning this month.
    IMG-0174.JPG
Thanks for asking the questions and reporting asnwers. Q/A #17 just looks incorrect. No way the hitch is only 9" off the ground. Nineteen I would believe, 9" not so much. The trunk on my MG midget had more ground clearance that that.?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Thanks a bunch for sharing the info.

I was able to have the Pro and the XLT experience
What is your impression of the difference between them? Do you know if any of them had a smaller battery pack? If yes did you notice any difference? Anything you saw or experience that didn’t like?

Did anyone else get this email this month?
I made the reservation at the end of the reveal and got the email on 8/5. I think it is just a receipt. If it was meaningful as far as priority, they would say you are a part of group A, B, C,….

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Thank you for asking these questions!

I'm hoping he is only moderately informed on the intelligent back-up feature, because with how Ford is advertising the feature they had better not be waiting on Sunrun for implementation. J1772 essentially fits into a portion of the CCS inlet - I am guessing he means the charger will have a CCS connector on it and not both, but again not sure how familiar he is with EVs and the new product. For this reason, I am taking his confirmation of being able to be charged off-grid (truck is grid-forming) with a grain of salt. Regarding all EVs being able to use the 80A charger - what he said is probably only true for vehicles equipped with CCS inlets which is most modern EVs (sorry Leaf owners with Chademo).

I think a lot of these questions are likely too much for the sales reps there :)

There wouldn't be any reason the home charger would have CCS -- it's not used unless it's a DC charge. If you wanted to go over 80AMP then, you'd have to bring in DC somehow as 80AMp is the max rate of a level 2 charge.

Pretty sure the only thing Sunrun is working on would be an inverter/gateway/switch to control when the car could be used to power the house as I'm guessing that the Ford Charger isn't an all-in-one device. Details are too light to really understand what that setup is going to involve.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think a lot of these questions are likely too much for the sales reps there :)

There wouldn't be any reason the home charger would have CCS -- it's not used unless it's a DC charge. If you wanted to go over 80AMP then, you'd have to bring in DC somehow as 80AMp is the max rate of a level 2 charge.

Pretty sure the only thing Sunrun is working on would be an inverter/gateway/switch to control when the car could be used to power the house as I'm guessing that the Ford Charger isn't an all-in-one device. Details are too light to really understand what that setup is going to involve.
We just got a build date for my Wife's Mach-e and it is earlier than we had planned. Need to get an EVSE installed so I reached out to SunRun today just to see if they could provide any info. Per the sales rep I worked with they won't be able to do anything until early 2022.sounds like details are still being worked out.

In the meantime I will just run a 100A circuit so the wiring and breaker are in place

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning preorder
Occupation
Network Security Engineer
What is your impression of the difference between them? Do you know if any of them had a smaller battery pack? If yes did you notice any difference? Anything you saw or experience that didn’t like?
I was also at the event yesterday and they said that even though the interior trims were different, all of the vehicles being driven were of the same battery / motor config (ER).

I was thrilled with everything I saw. The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't test drive it. It performed/handled better on the (simple & flat) test course than I had anticipated, tbh. Felt more like a sports car than a truck.
Sponsored