• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What will be your first F-150 Lightning upgrades?

bfjeld

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram 1500 Sport , 2014 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Power Engineer
Does it have a bit of a rake to it? In my current Ram truck I put 2” lowering springs in rear to level it. Opposite of how the rest of Alberta would level but it’s what I like. I guess it would be a full coil over replacement with IRS?
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I think the most obvious mod is a frunkerator for drinks, game meat, fish and other perishables.
Was thinking the same thing, looked it up, power draw of mini fridge is like 100W, so max 2kWh per day. Not bad, cheaper than buying ice.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I think the most obvious mod is a frunkerator for drinks, game meat, fish and other perishables.
Yea, at the very least it can hold, and power, a small fridge for a week. For now I’ll be happy to put my cooler and cooking gear in there.

Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Same thing I do to every vehicle I buy, tint the windows.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
I think XLT and higher will have privacy tint included.
Yes like my current xlt, it's only on the rear windows. I always add state legal limit to the front driver/passenger sides and a limo (5%) brow across the top of the windshield. Makes a huge difference, especially the brow.

Ford F-150 Lightning What will be your first F-150 Lightning upgrades? 47624895641_681d629a6e_b

Last edited:

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have been eyeballing the lariat trim, but I really just want the nicer stereo.

this would be my first F150. Does anyone see a problem with getting the XLT trim with extended battery and installing an aftermarket stereo/speakers? Do we know how many speaker locations there are in the XLT trim?

BTW - bump for the frunkerator. You better believe it.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I have been eyeballing the lariat trim, but I really just want the nicer stereo.

this would be my first F150. Does anyone see a problem with getting the XLT trim with extended battery and installing an aftermarket stereo/speakers? Do we know how many speaker locations there are in the XLT trim?

BTW - bump for the frunkerator. You better believe it.
I don't really see an aftermarket stereo as being viable. There are a lot of features that will use the infotainment system. The connected navigation will use the range estimate to help you find a route and also charging stations. It is going to use information from the onboard scales and also trailer information that you put in. There will be controls and information for all the 120v outlets and also the pro power onboard. There will also be settings for the drive modes, charging options, and other vehicle settings. It's also possible that you will lose the ability to connect to the vehicle with your cell phone app if you don't have the factory head unit.

Additionally, it would be interesting to see if anyone with a current Ford that has the digital dashboard has tried to change the stereo. It's entirely possible that the digital instrument cluster is dependent upon the stereo/infotainment system to work.

Sponsored

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I don't really see an aftermarket stereo as being viable. There are a lot of features that will use the infotainment system. The connected navigation will use the range estimate to help you find a route and also charging stations. It is going to use information from the onboard scales and also trailer information that you put in. There will be controls and information for all the 120v outlets and also the pro power onboard. There will also be settings for the drive modes, charging options, and other vehicle settings. It's also possible that you will lose the ability to connect to the vehicle with your cell phone app if you don't have the factory head unit.

Additionally, it would be interesting to see if anyone with a current Ford that has the digital dashboard has tried to change the stereo. It's entirely possible that the digital instrument cluster is dependent upon the stereo/infotainment system to work.
Great points. I guess with any EV that has the touchscreen tablet, you are looking at adding things like maybe an amp, subwoofers and replacing speakers. Any issues with those modifications?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Great points. I guess with any EV that has the touchscreen tablet, you are looking at adding things like maybe an amp, subwoofers and replacing speakers. Any issues with those modifications?
It doesn't even have to have the tablet style screen. It's more the software that's in the vehicle.
As far as speakers and stuff. I'd look at what people are doing with the current truck as the interior is the same and you still have 12v electronics in the cab of the truck as well.

hhulseman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Volt
Probably get a SoftTopper for the bed. I need to be able to convert to open bed fast.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
I have an aftermarket module and touch screen navigation stereo in my truck that utilizes all of the factory functions like the steering wheel buttons and things like being able to see individual tire pressures, system voltage touch screen hvac operation etc that was not available thru the factory stereo.

The stereo is Alpine, the module is called Maestro.

I'm sure they will have something for the Ev 150 eventually, give them time to at least put it into production.

Amps/speakers should be no different than what's already on the market.

Last edited:

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
Window tint, all-weather floor mats, and maybe a hard tonneau of some sort. It's just not a "mod me" vehicle. I know Ford will prioritize one to some YouTuber or flashy shop in some ill-conceived marketing plan and it will get 26 inch rims or something, but I'd rather have a nuclear apocalypse.
Sponsored