• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Where is the charging station etiquette?

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I know my use case is unique but Interstate 10 that I frequent from CA to AZ has a nearly 220 mile gap from the nearest town in CA to AZ. There’s a couple DCFC chargers in CA before heading into the desert and only 1 EA station in between with only 4 stalls with 1-2 that are almost always down. Resulting in 2 chargers for a heavily traveled route. Holiday travel in my Lightning is unfortunately out as there is a guaranteed line to charge at the Quartzite charger

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? BC2F295E-8311-4D65-BD2D-463F751414CA
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So Tesla SC station. It’s like EA and all others never rented one, tested it out to see why people like Tesla so much. I honestly thought EA would copy that style. Even Ford Pass doesn’t tell you how much longer or to get ready to move your vehicle. Sometimes I’ll get the notification that the Lightning has reached my charge level like 2 hours later smh
Tesla truly has it down when it comes to software and UI. I can only hope the ‘ol Twitter king actually followed thru with allowing non teslas to begin using the Supercharger network!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I guess the only real solution is abundance. The charging networks have to grow out to be sufficient.
This ^^^

Today, there are a-holes that cut the line at the gas station. Costco putting up cones because people are cutting across lanes after they picked one.

The Infrastructure Bill is intended to add 500,000 chargers (not locations) in 5 years. Various estimates exist today, but the number I've seen is 120,000. So going from 120,000 to 500,000 in 5 years. And the 500,000 will all be faster chargers. It's coming, we just have to deal with all this until then.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I know my use case is unique but Interstate 10 that I frequent from CA to AZ has a nearly 220 mile gap from the nearest town in CA to AZ. There’s a couple DCFC chargers in CA before heading into the desert and only 1 EA station in between with only 4 stalls with 1-2 that are almost always down. Resulting in 2 chargers for a heavily traveled route. Holiday travel in my Lightning is unfortunately out as there is a guaranteed line to charge at the Quartzite charger

BC2F295E-8311-4D65-BD2D-463F751414CA.jpeg
Same problem on I-80 west of Salt Lake City across the flats, then again across the Sierras getting into Nevada. Both are about 100 mile stretches, but mountains, blizzards and headwinds, plus wanting to sit on 80+ mph. So a lot of people either limp on fumes because they didn't realize or wait till the last stop before the long leg, resulting in absurd lines which get worse because once a Supercharger site is 50% occupied, it slows down to share power between pedestals (just one of a few "etiquette" matters which Tesla users don't know.)
Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? 1667764980838

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? 1667765040448

If you really want to look at challenging long legs of EV driving, try getting from Montana thru Wyoming to Colorado in a blizzard … every time you get to a Supercharger, anyone else there gets out of the their Tesla comes over (in a howling blizzard) and high-fives you and yells "you made it!" … and we all rejoice in not dying of exposure in our $100K+ lifestyle statement vehicles … : )

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same problem on I-80 west of Salt Lake City across the flats, then again across the Sierras getting into Nevada. Both are about 100 mile stretches, but mountains, blizzards and headwinds, plus wanting to sit on 80+ mph. So a lot of people either limp on fumes because they didn't realize or wait till the last stop before the long leg, resulting in absurd lines which get worse because once a Supercharger site is 50% occupied, it slows down to share power between pedestals (just one of a few "etiquette" matters which Tesla users don't know.)
1667764980838.png

1667765040448.png

If you really want to look at challenging long legs of EV driving, try getting from Montana thru Wyoming to Colorado in a blizzard … every time you get to a Supercharger, anyone else there gets out of the their Tesla comes over (in a howling blizzard) and high-fives you and yells "you made it!" … and we all rejoice in not dying of exposure in our $100K+ lifestyle statement vehicles … : )
Well spoken! Love the high 5s! Looks like Mr. Musk forgot a few spots glad I can commiserate a little with others out there. I agree with others statements. We are spearheading this adventure and there are going to be some issues that come with it. Still. Absolutely love my truck!

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Let me start off with how great of a truck the lightning is! It was easy to swap my Tesla for such a capable EV! That being said, as months go by I am seeing more and more “budget” EVs on the road from the likes of VW, Kia, Hyundai ect which I’m cool with. However with my normal commute to work from AZ into CA every week I’m quickly
Realizing that there is a tidal wave coming and the DCFC network is in no way ready for it. I truly fear any reliable DCFC network will be years behind the explosion of New EVs hitting the roads every day. With all of these new to EV drivers I’m noticing a big problem with the already limited charging stations available to non Teslas. I’ll list what I believe are the biggest offenders of charging etiquette are and chime in if y’all are experiencing these issues in your areas? Trying to aggravate some rough data and spread awareness!

1, fully charged vehicle occupying a charger with no one in the vehicle.
—with most non Tesla DCFC stations only having 4 stalls with at least one broken, I have been running
Into this a LOT more in the last few months

2, Charging to 100% at a busy station with a line of vehicles waiting to charge when it’s very likely not necessary
—please correct me if I’m wrong but most new EVs these days are very capable of 200+ miles and can easily get to their destination or the next area of chargers. It’s takes 2-3 times longer to charge to 100% when it’s almost never necessary espically when there’s a live of vehicles that need to charge too!

3, occupying multiple spots to charge a single vehicle.
—I’ve seen it more than I thought I would

4, trying to cut in line.
—about saw a full on fist fight over this at a station in Quartzite,AZ

5, utilizing a 150-350kw charger when your vehicle can not accept the current.
- I get that there are circumstances where this will
Happen but let’s use our smarts and not take up a 150-350 when the car can only take 50kw 🤦🏻‍♂️

6, (I can’t believe I have to list this one)
UNPLUGGING someone’s vehicle without consent.
—my window are tinted pretty dark, dude must have assumed I was not in the truck so he tried to help himself. WTF?

Sorry for the long post but I would love input from the wider community on this subject!

Thanks all
@AZT9
doesn’t with multi year free charging they are getting with vw & hyndai, and others.
Might stop @ 80 or 90% if paying for it and cheaper at home.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
One key I believe is that there must be a communications standard - vehicle to charger - much more so than there is today.

In Tesla's case since they are a fully contained infrastructure my proposal is that the chargers must be geofenced. When you pull within 150 ft of the charger - you get a notification asking if you want to charge - you tell it yes. If there is a wait, then you are added to the queue. When you are next in line and your charger opens you are notified and only you can charge at that station. It won't activate for anyone that cuts in front of you. Tesla has every piece of the equation needed to do this already in their car, the app and chargers.

You then select what you need to charge to 80 to 100% (it truly is sometimes needed when on a trip.). When your car is done charging you get just a minute or two to charge and then you get hit with some pretty hefty idling fees.

All chargers and autos should be forced to be part of this kind of standard.

No car should ever be left at a station after charging more than a minute or two, we don't do that at gas pumps. Charge and move on. There may be empty stations when you pull in, but may be several pull in just behind you needing a charge.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
They need to stop bundling unlimited free charging plans with new EVs. Too many locals are clogging up vital road tripping infrastructure when they could charge at home or get by without charging.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tha
@AZT9
doesn’t with multi year free charging they are getting with vw & hyndai, and others.
Might stop @ 80 or 90% if paying for it and cheaper at home.
that’s a good point. I had not thought of that. Everyone love free.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They need to stop bundling unlimited free charging plans with new EVs. Too many locals are clogging up vital road tripping infrastructure when they could charge at home or get by without charging.
Absolutely agree

Sponsored

Tim0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150 XLT
Start Idle fees at 90%, and you have to call to have your limit extended.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s where I’m a little confused. I read one article that said Tesla missed the cutoff to apply the the WH put out a press statement that Tesla is readying their superchargers for non teslas. Then silence. So
Who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored