• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is bidirectional home charging available only with the ford charge station pro?

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
I got solar and a home battery prior to getting my lightning. My electric panel has the necessary upgrades to allow my home to be powered from batteries during an outage.

After getting my lightning I was looking into getting a wall charger. The tesla j1772 charger for around $500 (less if buying from Craigslist, offerup) could charge my SR at the highest speeds, being a 48amp charger. I was about to pull the trigger on this wall charger but wasn't sure if it's the best option considering bidirectional charging is a feature advertised with the ford charge station pro for $1300.

Upon doing some research on the lightning, apparently this vehicle and some other EVs are capable of powering your home. I have two main questions:

1. Is the ford pro charging unit the only additional accessory I need to start bidirectional V2H (vehicle to home) charging, given I already have solar with solar battery backup and the upgraded panel? I'm referring to the more expensive unit that comes standard with higher trim lightnings.

2. I've read up on Wallbox Quasar 2 that also advertises bidirectional charging. But it's not released yet? It's also rumored to cost around $4k. This unit seems to be an all-in-one solution to get V2H bidirectional charging without needing the tech in the vehicle itself, meaning theoretically it's compatible with more EVs (more futureproof, maybe better compatibility).

Can anyone with first-hand knowledge chime in? Does anyone have bidirectional charging implemented in your home yet? Anyone know if it's worth waiting for the Wallbox to release?

I've heard some unfavorable things about the ford unit, such as overheating, etc but don't want to upgrade to a wall charger without getting that V2H feature, something the tesla and other basic wall chargers dont offer. My home batteries are only 26kwh, so having another 100kwh from the lightning seems like a no-brainer.

Maybe off topic, but energy prices, especially natural gas have skyrocketed where I live (California) and if I can store more solar energy into the lightning, and use some of that stored energy during peak hours, this would dramatically improve the value proposition of this already phenomenal vehicle.
Sponsored

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachEauto awd ER XLT Lightning ER
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
You have a SR. Bidirectional charging is only available on the ER

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
You have a SR. Bidirectional charging is only available on the ER
Not true. The price is already included with the ER. It’s a one time adder through the FordPass app for $500.

@OP I believe the FCSP is the only currently available option as other suppliers finalize their version. The FCSP requires additional hardware and costs so be sure to include that in your estimate. Having it installed is roughly 10k.

At least two other bidirectional chargers that I am waiting on are from Emporia and Enphase. No clue if they would work with the Lightning or if they will require additional hardware beside the unit itself.

Ford F-150 Lightning Is bidirectional home charging available only with the ford charge station pro? CBFE29A3-D551-4D6C-ACB9-385045ED4746

Ford F-150 Lightning Is bidirectional home charging available only with the ford charge station pro? 615AF28B-81E1-4FFD-AB24-48792CDDC21A

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
OP, look at the video link Grumpy posted, it's got everything you need to understand.

There is a lot more to the equation that just the FCSP, you also need to the HIS and the one time 500$ fee for your SR truck.
Sponsored