• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will EVs eventually worsen aggressive driving?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Just a thought. Unrelated to EVs aggressive driving appears to be getting worse in general these past few years. I have read that the pandemic is or was partially to blame, but regardless of the reason, will the quick acceleration advantage of EVs make this worse as they become more mainstream?
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I don't know what others might consider road rage, but I do think EV's will increase it.
It will be at charging stations. It has already been posted on these forums.
Until charging stations are as numerous as gas pumps there might be a few that think they are in a bigger hurry than you are.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Iā€™ve wondered this as well but to this point I donā€™t notice people in EVs driving especially aggressive. Maybe even less so than other drivers. There are quite a few EVs on the road now so it would be noticeable if they were driving more aggressively.

OP
OP
jimfigler

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know what others might consider road rage, but I do think EV's will increase it.
It will be at charging stations. It has already been posted on these forums.
Until charging stations are as numerous as gas pumps there might be a few that think they are in a bigger hurry than you are.
I have done a few road trips and have not had an issue yet with full charging stations but I can see it becoming an issue.

Sponsored

Weather Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER w/Tow; 2017 BMW X3
perhaps so, but I also wonder about highways. in some instances (at least for a while) you may see a reduction in average speeds as people are conserving batteries.

OP
OP
jimfigler

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™ve wondered this as well but to this point I donā€™t notice people in EVs driving especially aggressive. Maybe even less so than other drivers. There are quite a few EVs on the road now so it would be noticeable if they were driving more aggressively.
I think because we drive EVs we notice them more often on the road but in reality, over 97% of the vehicles on the road are ICE.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just a thought. Unrelated to EVs aggressive driving appears to be getting worse in general these past few years. I have read that the pandemic is or was partially to blame, but regardless of the reason, will the quick acceleration advantage of EVs make this worse as they become more mainstream?
Itā€™s something that fades with time.

My vehicles all now do 0-60 in under 4s. They have for about 6-7 years now. When I test drove my Rivian and my Ford, everyone asked if I wanted to do a launch. I just shrugged. I know they go fast in a straight line. Itā€™s not often I use it, but I do use short bursts for merging.

Where itā€™s safer is top speed. I will admit to a younger me who has seen 167mph (indicated) on the road. Sure Iā€™m older and more sensible now, but none of my EVs will hit that. Most of them seem to level out around 100. Still deadly speeds, but I think I might prefer more lower speed accidents than less higher speed ones.

Of course you can still be aggressive in short bursts or lower speeds. But thatā€™s the potato in the driver seat and not the EV

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I tend to believe that aggressive driving exposes an inner frustration. People without control of their lives can control the vehicle. I donā€™t see those individuals buying EVā€™s YET. They listen to voices that denigrate EVā€™s as being forced on them. Give it time.
I do tend to generalize a bit. šŸ˜€

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My bigger worry is the weight and acceleration of EVs. It will become a huge issue with 7, 8 or 9k pound trucks and SUVs that can get into trouble very quickly.

There was some comfort in the past knowing that a heavy truck would be somewhat slow and manageable for a novice(or limited skill) driver. No more with forthcoming EVs offering sub 5s 0-60 acceleration figures.

There's only so much tires and brakes can mitigate. Physics wins every time....

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
perhaps so, but I also wonder about highways. in some instances (at least for a while) you may see a reduction in average speeds as people are conserving batteries.
Reduction in speed. Where I live I have seen that in itself lead to road rage.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
People will drive worse at first, until they realize they can go almost twice as far if they drive slower. šŸ˜€šŸ˜‚

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I see a lot of Kiaā€™s and Mach-E drivers driving aggressively around my parts. I wouldnā€™t consider myself a slow driver but going up to 30 mph over the speed limit and cutting in/out of lanes when the traffic flow is steady is crazy. Especially when we all catch up to them down the road in stop and go traffic šŸ¤£

Actually my wife and I were talking about this that eventually there will be a 0-60 cap on these EVā€™s. Maybe 5-7 seconds?

Also the brakes in some EVā€™s mainly The non-performance Model 3 suck. The Lightning brakes are good though.
Sponsored