• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will the Lightning support a snow plow?

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
First the snow measurement had to do with how much power it will require to move the snow.

Seconds Lots of articles and videos go over this. It's common knowledge regarding EVs.

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-range/

As you turn up or down the temperature, however, the loss of range is apparent. At -15 C (5 F), EVs drop to 54% of their rated range, meaning a car that is rated for 250 miles (402 km) will only get on average 135 miles (217 km).
First, preconditioning the car will help with that. Second, battery composition and packaging will play another factor of which we don't have complete details. Will have to wait and see...
Sponsored

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
The Tesla system includes a heater for the battery pack to raise the temp of the coolant that circulates thru the pack. Maybe Ford has thought through cold weather driving...
LOL. Ford can't even program the 10 speed auto to shift properly.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I would think that with a high voltage available 200-800 volts that a stronger higher voltage motor can be used that uses less amps. This would allow smaller wires and less draw over all so might not need a buffer for the power being used.
In concept I agree however there is not likely going to be a way to tie into the high voltage side any time soon nor will there be any plows that can accept it. The limiting factor I am concerned with today is the capacity of the DC to DC converter and so far I have not found anything indicating how much amperage it can handle.

Using high voltage accessories in the future both excites and scares the crap out of me! ⚡ :eek:
⚡

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
In concept I agree however there is not likely going to be a way to tie into the high voltage side any time soon nor will there be any plows that can accept it. The limiting factor I am concerned with today is the capacity of the DC to DC converter and so far I have not found anything indicating how much amperage it can handle.

Using high voltage accessories in the future both excites and scares the crap out of me! ⚡ :eek:
⚡
Since the load from raising/lowering the plow wouldn't be continuous, maybe you can run the plow off of a 12V Deep Cycle battery, and just trickle charge the deep cycle battery either from one of the onboard AC power outlets or a series resistor from a 12V Cig lighter plug on the lightning side to said deep cycle battery. The resistor would prevent you from dragging down the Lightning's DC-DC converter and would top off the battery when you aren't using the plow.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Another related question I have is... how will the Frunk affect crash ratings. With some frame changes and obvious removal of the engine, crumple zones could be affected, etc. Will be interesting to see how that all plays out, also regarding your plow question.
Not having to deal with a giant hunk of metal actually allows them to engineer a much better crumple zone. Go look at the crash tests for Tesla, they get very high scores. Hopefully Ford has improved the body structure accordingly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS
Seems like the consensus is you can if you want to hang a plow on the Lightning as long as the mounting is the same as the ICE F150…anyone who has a Lightning know if this I going to work.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
First the snow measurement had to do with how much power it will require to move the snow.

Seconds Lots of articles and videos go over this. It's common knowledge regarding EVs.

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-range/

As you turn up or down the temperature, however, the loss of range is apparent. At -15 C (5 F), EVs drop to 54% of their rated range, meaning a car that is rated for 250 miles (402 km) will only get on average 135 miles (217 km).
That's absurd. There is a significant range drop, but not nearly that much. I took delivery of my second Tesla, a P85D, on the west coast in December 2014 and drove across the U.S. in the northern states. The temps ranged from 20 degrees to negative 17 degrees all the way, and we stayed in hotels six nights, all below zero, with the car parked outside. The rated range for a MS P85D at that time was 256 miles. The low temps in South Dakota, Wisconsin, Maine, etc., during that drive dropped our range to a worse case 190 miles, so about 26% range loss, and that was the worst possible case you could image - we stopped for extended stays in places like places like Aspen Colorado in January.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Pure gold!!!! 220 amps should be enough so now I just hope they put the same size in the Lightning.

It was interesting to read that the GT has the larger DC to DC converter than the regular Mach E. I wonder how long before the after market stereo installers discover this... the hard way.
The Ford police build out doc says a 250A DC-DC, but only 55A is available for aftermarket accessories.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
The place for the 12 volt battery is massive and begs For a big battery. And yes you want to use a deep cycle battery. The Lightning is designed for towing a lot. What’s a little snow?

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Seems like the consensus is you can if you want to hang a plow on the Lightning as long as the mounting is the same as the ICE F150…anyone who has a Lightning know if this I going to work.
I suspect that's a big ask that the mounting is the same.

Honestly, maybe some people here will disagree with this, but anyone at this point wanting to put a plow on their Lightning should have bought a different truck. Even if you CAN do it, it's probably not the best idea.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
The Lightning has the best 4 wheel drive system of any F150. It is perfect for plowing.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
If you want to lose access to the frunk, destroy your $80k vehicle, and kill your range, have at it.
Sponsored