• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Window washer fluid should take a full gallon when it warns of low fluid.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Window washer fluid low warning light came on a week or so ago. Finally went to refill it.
Could not quite fit a full gallon in the reservoir.

@Ford Motor Company please take note of this PET PEEVE for all future vehicles.

Washer fluid reservoir capacity should be 1.5 gallons with low warning at 0.25 gallons so you can ALWAYS fit a full gallon jug in there when it says its low. Reduces me having to keep track of 10oz of window washer fluid in a mostly empty bottle somewhere in my garage AND will reduce spillage.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Here's a thought. On a monthly basis, check your tire pressure (with a gauge), and top off your washer fluid. That way you never run the risk of running out.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Here's a thought. On a monthly basis, check your tire pressure (with a gauge), and top off your washer fluid. That way you never run the risk of running out.
Sometimes go through more than a gallon a month here in MN salt spray season. Especially since I never visit the gas station where I would previously wash the windows while pumping gas.
Meanwhile, have to store partially used jugs of window washer fluid. Annoying.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Definitely annoying. My wife's vehicle never seems to take a full gallon either. My solution is to fill one vehicle and put the remainder in the other one.

My last two trucks had oil filters DIRECTLY OVER a frame cross-member. I know that someone considered this during the design process because there was a trough under the filter for diverting oil. It mostly diverted the oil to different parts of the garage floor. 🤬

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I take the remainder and throw it on the back window, problem solved.

We go through so much here in 2 vehicles that I consider buying a drum.

I will accept the smaller washer tank in sake of the mega frunk.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Its the dumbest thing because after decades of making cars with window washer reservoirs, car companies still cannot get it right! No argument that "there is not room for another 10 oz" under the hood is EVER going to fly on an American-made vehicle. I bet there is still multiple cubic feet of unused volume under that hood before you would need to intrude on the Funk space.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Its the dumbest thing because after decades of making cars with window washer reservoirs, car companies still cannot get it right! No argument that "there is not room for another 10 oz" under the hood is EVER going to fly on an American-made vehicle. I bet there is still multiple cubic feet of unused volume under that hood before you would need to intrude on the Funk space.
"on an American-made vehicle"? Why? What does where the vehicle is made have to do with the size of the reservoir?

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Or just wait until the washer fluid stops coming out —then the whole gallon fits. I only seem to be able to use the fluid about 3-4 times before the low warning and the next use pretty much empties the tank. When I get the low warning I find a gas station and wash the window as I enter the parking lot—tank empty; problem solved.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
"on an American-made vehicle"? Why? What does where the vehicle is made have to do with the size of the reservoir?
Our old Saab 9-3 would take the whole gallon when the low level light came on. It was one of the best built, well designed cars that I’ve ever owned.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Auto manufacturers and washer fluid manufacturers belong to the same club that weiner makers and hot dog bun bakeries belong to. :confused:

Or, perhaps a vehicle is cut from the same cloth as are people who fill a glass with juice or milk, and put the jug/bottle back in the fridge with half a glass or less in it. 😡

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Window washer fluid low warning light came on a week or so ago. Finally went to refill it.
Could not quite fit a full gallon in the reservoir.

@Ford Motor Company please take note of this PET PEEVE for all future vehicles.

Washer fluid reservoir capacity should be 1.5 gallons with low warning at 0.25 gallons so you can ALWAYS fit a full gallon jug in there when it says its low. Reduces me having to keep track of 10oz of window washer fluid in a mostly empty bottle somewhere in my garage AND will reduce spillage.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
A generalization pointing out how much American-made trucks and vehicles have hoods that are big empty boxes of air. They are big for the sake of being big and thus have plenty of room to make the reservoir the right size. No excuse that they could not make it fit.
Sponsored