• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Windshield replaced?

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Has anyone had to have the windshield of their Lightning replaced? Mine cracked from a rock and keeps growing. Wondering if I should pay the Ford price for the windshield or go to a discount auto glass place to get it done.
Sponsored

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
Your insurance won't cover it? I have State Farm and they offer 3 "incidents" every 3 years for stuff like this with no impact on premiums.

Ironically my partner just had his Explorer windshield replaced for the same thing yesterday free from State Farm. Having said that, a coworker also had his windshield replaced under Georgia Farm Bureau on Monday and it cost him $700 for an aftermarket part for his Tecoma. The OEM was $1200 for that truck.

My only concern would be the material I guess. I noticed that the Lightnings have "Sound Shield" printed on the windshield, so it probably helps with wind noise in the cabin (?).

OP
OP

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Your insurance won't cover it? I have State Farm and they offer 3 "incidents" every 3 years for stuff like this with no impact on premiums.

Ironically my partner just had his Explorer windshield replaced for the same thing yesterday free from State Farm. Having said that, a coworker also had his windshield replaced under Georgia Farm Bureau on Monday and it cost him $700 for an aftermarket part for his Tecoma. The OEM was $1200 for that truck.

My only concern would be the material I guess. I noticed that the Lightnings have "Sound Shield" printed on the windshield, so it probably helps with wind noise in the cabin (?).
State Farm will cover it, but they use LYNX, so it would not be an OEM windshield. You hit my concern, if they use a lower quality windshield, I might lose things like sound shield. Also concerned with all of the cameras and sensors working properly and Ford not wanting to fix it if they do not do the windshield.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

BEVolution

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y adding Lightning
Typically insurance companies will pay to have cameras calibrated with replacement for safety and most shops will require for their own liability.

Ask State Farm if they will 100% reimburse you if you choose your own, possibly approved shop or dealer and submit your receipt.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The SoundScreen windshield has its benefits and problems.

One of the benefits is the laminated glass reduces noise. One of the problems is the laminated glass chips and cracks easier.

A lot of guys in the ICE forum report less chipping with a solid windshield and the noise difference isn't that noticeable. But not having an engine might make it more noticeable on the Lightning.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Is there something special with the F-150 SoundScreen material?

Edit: Google was a better place for that question...

https://www.carlex.com/automotive-replacement-glass/sound-screen/

With such a quiet ride, the reduction in Wind Noise is enough for me to get OEM.
Thanks for posting that link. I have had folks argue or just not believe me about the noise. I got a rock off a dump truck that put a two foot crack down low. As time went by the crack grew until it got to both sides. Then the noise was almost unbearable. I had new windscreen put in that day. Not from ford but ford OEM.
Edit to add this was in a reg cab.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
State Farm will cover it, but they use LYNX, so it would not be an OEM windshield. You hit my concern, if they use a lower quality windshield, I might lose things like sound shield. Also concerned with all of the cameras and sensors working properly and Ford not wanting to fix it if they do not do the windshield.
Anyone who installs a new windshield needs to calibrate the cameras. Your insurance company needs to pay for that also. Lynx handles the claims, that doesn't tell you who makes the windshield...

hikinbengal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Outback, Jeep TJ, Audi A3
Occupation
Engineering Progam Manager
I had a crack and needed the windshield replaced. My insurance works with Safelite and I could request to get an aftermarket or OEM windshield. OEM took about a week longer to get in stock.

I had an issue with the installation by Safelight, story short, they didn't put the sealant on correctly which led to damage to the electrical components behind the review mirror.

It was repaired by a Ford dealership, including the second new windshield. I recommend both OEM glass and getting Ford to do the installation.

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I have water leaking in from my factory windshield right now. I'm about the find how what this whole process is like at Ford. No idea if they'll replace it or just remove and re-install. Never had one leak before.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I always carry a Permatex Windshield Repair kit with me. They work great. Over the years, I have done a roadside repair on three separate occasions using one of these kits. The results are professional and you stop a small chip from being a big problem.

Cost $12-14. Auto parts stores carry them. You can even find them at Walmart. Buy one for each car and keep it in the glovebox. It's remarkable how well they work. The kit includes everything you need -- no other tools required.
https://www.permatex.com/products/s...r/repair-kits/permatex-windshield-repair-kit/

Here's a how-to video...

oldwizard99

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning ordered
The SoundScreen windshield has its benefits and problems.

One of the benefits is the laminated glass reduces noise. One of the problems is the laminated glass chips and cracks easier.

A lot of guys in the ICE forum report less chipping with a solid windshield and the noise difference isn't that noticeable. But not having an engine might make it more noticeable on the Lightning.
all windshields are laminated, they seem to be much thinner now

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
all windshields are laminated, they seem to be much thinner now
Then there is something with the SoundScreen that makes them more susceptible to chips and cracks.
Sponsored