• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Reservation Holders Beware...

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The reservation system was something started by Tesla and used to gain an idea of demand and, in Tesla's case, cash as Tesla initially asked for $1k and got $400M in reservations plus a lot of advertising exposure.

Ford and others do the same to gauge demand and models within demand.
For the company(Ford) its a way to gauge demand and get a no cost loan.

What they supposedly offer in return is a way to "pay" for an upgraded(or static) place in line to order.
Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I’m pushing this to the top. This is the issue that is not only making transfers risky, but that is preventing transfers. Confirmed in writing by at least one reputable dealer.
I don't what your game is but you need to STOP. Transfers are not "risky" or "prevented". The dealers do not control our reservations, period. Get off this forum, call Ford Corporate to move your reservation, and then come back and correct the nonsense you keep posting.

Your claims are BS.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
What they supposedly offer in return is a way to "pay" for an upgraded(or static) place in line to order.
And lots of fun anticipation of fun vehicle....this and other F150EV and MacheE forums as examples.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I don't what your game is but you need to STOP. Transfers are not "risky" or "prevented". The dealers do not control our reservations, period. Get off this forum, call Ford Corporate to move your reservation, and then come back and correct the nonsense you keep posting.

Your claims are BS.
I have provided facts to backup my assertion, you have not. I was ultimately able to transfer to another local dealer but was prevented from getting the best price available through other authorized dealers.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m pushing this to the top. This is the issue that is not only making transfers risky, but that is preventing transfers. Confirmed in writing by at least one reputable dealer.
It is possible that they don't want your reservation because one of their reservation holders might be pushed back depending on when you reserved. But they cant just reject your reservation, that makes no sense. I transferred my reservation to a dealer with 160 reservations. There is no way in hell they are getting 160 Lightning year one. Find a dealer, call Ford and switch, it's not that hard.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

Your claims are BS.
His point is at least partially accurate.

It's nearly impossible to know if moving your reservation will help or hurt how quickly you'll get a Lightning.

In order to know anything when comparing dealers, you'd have to know:

How many reservations each dealer has
Where you would be in line at each dealer
How many allocations each dealer has per year

Without all of that info, it's basically impossible to know if you're helping or hurting your timeline.

You could be 1 of only 20 people at a dealer, but if you're 20th and that dealer is only going to get 10 Lightnings per year, then you're better off being 30th in line at a dealer that will get 50/year, just as an example.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The reservation system was something started by Tesla and used to gain an idea of demand and, in Tesla's case, cash as Tesla initially asked for $1k and got $400M in reservations plus a lot of advertising exposure.

Ford and others do the same to gauge demand and models within demand.
Tesla certainly was not the first. I reserved a 2008 smart fortwo some time in 2007 (possibly 2006). I think I put down $1000, maybe $1500. I'm sure many others has reservation systems for new vehicle releases well before this.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
For the company(Ford) its a way to gauge demand and get a no cost loan.
In addition to going to the dealer, the money doesn't really mean much to Ford as it operates in the billions. They had $127 Billion in revenue in 2020.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
In addition to going to the dealer, the money doesn't really mean much to Ford as it operates in the billions. They had $127 Billion in revenue in 2020.
The $2000 or so most dealers got totally kept the lights on this year?

Clean150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
Ford did not get the reservation deposit on F150L. It went straight to the dealer.
I changed my dealership and Ford refunded my $100 with an email stating the changes did not effect my place in line. There are way more reservations than units available so we will all be waiting and waiting. Find a dealership you can trust and give the rest up to the multiverse. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Tesla certainly was not the first. I reserved a 2008 smart fortwo some time in 2007 (possibly 2006). I think I put down $1000, maybe $1500. I'm sure many others has reservation systems for new vehicle releases well before this.
I guess the question is when did Tesla first start taking reservations. The original roadster was debuted in 2006 with deliveries starting in 2008, so their reservation system started somewhere in that timeframe. As an aside, some of the early Roadster reservation fees were reportedly upwards of $50,000US.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
It is pretty crazy, all of it. It isn't just time stamp. Allotment, trims. Etc.

The time stamp craze just made it so Ford could get the reservation numbers as quick as possible. Allowed for them to say: XX number of reservations in the first day! The first week! Etc.

In the end, most of us don't have the slightest clue what allotment each dealer gets, what their sales volumes are or not, much less what Ford intends to WANT to build plus what parts will be available for said trims, etc.

It's all pretty worthless of you ask me.

The ordering process isn't transparent at all. It's less than transparent. It's confusing. Almost like it's a racket.

Dealers don't know answers either. And when they have an answer, they're most likely BSing. If they aren't, then it sucks that their reputations as dealers as a whole don't afford them a benefit of the doubt.

Time stamp? Nah. Time stamp can't mean diddly aquat if a part isn't available. Nor does it mean diddly squat if they don't even WANT to build your trim yet.

Not to be negative, but just being real. Sorry that real is not positive. Such is life.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I guess the question is when did Tesla first start taking reservations. The original roadster was debuted in 2006 with deliveries starting in 2008, so their reservation system started somewhere in that timeframe. As an aside, some of the early Roadster reservation fees were reportedly upwards of $50,000US.
My basic point is that Tesla isn't the only manufacturer that has done or will do preorders. I'm sure many many exotic cars sell out before production even begins (Ferrari Enzo).
Sponsored