• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wave 1 Lightning invitation email thread [Update: Emails AFTER 5PM ET]

TexasGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Here are some things I think I've figured out.

1) Each dealer got one and only one allocation from the first wave.

2) Ford did this to give every dealership a chance to work through the kinks and get experience without a crush of pushy buyers (us! ;)) flooding them with calls and visits.

3) The allocations for the first and subsequent waves are either by a) dealer priority if they indeed did it prior to the December deadline or, b) if not, then by timestamp of reservations assigned to their dealership.

4) This means that if you are # 1 at a dealership (by the priorities mentioned in # 3 above), you would be in the first wave.

5) Subsequent waves will be bigger.

6) Ford will build between 15k -20k in 2022, so if you ordered in the first 48 hours (Ford previously stated they got 20k orders in the first 48 hours), you should get a vehicle this year, assuming you don't defer.

7) Ford has budgeted builds based upon that chart they previously provided the dealers (the most will be Lariat +'s, then Platinums, etc.). The are doing this because it is easiest and most efficient to make a large number with the fewest variations and they are also the most profitable vehicles.

8) They are making some of the Pros and XLTs in the first year, which is a lot better than Tesla has done with new models. Even Chevy and Hummer are exclusively producing the most expensive models first.

8) Given the battery sizes and the comparison to the Rivian's batteries and EPA's #'s, the 230 and 300 estimates are pretty accurate: -0% + 5%. (The Rivian is a few lbs. heavier than the Lightning and a bit smaller and probably more aerodynamic as it was a clean sheet design. It also has 4 motors, so I'm betting that for the most part the these things cancel each other out. I believe their 135KW battery gives them an EPA range of 314 miles and the Lightning's Large battery is 131 KW.)

10) If anyone thinks they will really get that range out of a 'tank' in normal use, they are kidding themselves. (As pilots say, "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.") Seriously, between accessories, weather, traveling faster the the EPA estimates, age on the battery, not charging to 100% or draining to 15%-20% and just the peace of mind, every extra KW is worth it.

11) Ford is actually doing a pretty good job and doing it in a reasonable fashion. Their communication can be improved, as can the process, but compared to they peers (Tesla & Rivian) their way ahead of the curve.

Just my humble opinions. YMMV.

Full disclosure: I drive a model S and have a early deposit on a Rivian and could have ordered the initial limited model, but because I want/need the largest ("Max") battery will have to wait until the "First half of 2023" If they actually meet that promise.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
(As pilots say, "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.")
Or on final approach, if you are a heavy...former Air Traffic Controller here ;)

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

2) Ford did this to give every dealership a chance to work through the kinks and get experience without a crush of pushy buyers (us! ;)) flooding them with calls and visits.

3) The allocations for the first and subsequent waves are either by a) dealer priority if they indeed did it prior to the December deadline or, b) if not, then by timestamp of reservations assigned to their dealership.

4) This means that if you are # 1 at a dealership (by the priorities mentioned in # 3 above), you would be in the first wave.

6) Ford will build between 15k -20k in 2022, so if you ordered in the first 48 hours (Ford previously stated they got 20k orders in the first 48 hours), you should get a vehicle this year, assuming you don't defer.

7) Ford has budgeted builds based upon that chart they previously provided the dealers (the most will be Lariat +'s, then Platinums, etc.). The are doing this because it is easiest and most efficient to make a large number with the fewest variations and they are also the most profitable vehicles.

8) They are making some of the Pros and XLTs in the first year, which is a lot better than Tesla has done with new models. Even Chevy and Hummer are exclusively producing the most expensive models first.

8) Given the battery sizes and the comparison to the Rivian's batteries and EPA's #'s, the 230 and 300 estimates are pretty accurate: -0% + 5%. (The Rivian is a few lbs. heavier than the Lightning and a bit smaller and probably more aerodynamic as it was a clean sheet design. It also has 4 motors, so I'm betting that for the most part the these things cancel each other out. I believe their 135KW battery gives them an EPA range of 314 miles and the Lightning's Large battery is 131 KW.)

10) If anyone thinks they will really get that range out of a 'tank' in normal use, they are kidding themselves. (As pilots say, "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.") Seriously, between accessories, weather, traveling faster the the EPA estimates, age on the battery, not charging to 100% or draining to 15%-20% and just the peace of mind, every extra KW is worth it.

11) Ford is actually doing a pretty good job and doing it in a reasonable fashion. Their communication can be improved, as can the process, but compared to they peers (Tesla & Rivian) their way ahead of the curve.

Full disclosure: I drive a model S and have a early deposit on a Rivian and could have ordered the initial limited model, but because I want/need the largest ("Max") battery will have to wait until the "First half of 2023" If they actually meet that promise.
Thank you, that was a good summary. Should be required reading for some of the Karens with entitlement issues here.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I reserved during the initial video, so very early. I’m using a small dealer, I have no idea how many reservations they have (they had about 80 Broncos) but I would guess I’m first on their list because I was in the first wave.

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Nice summary, thank you.
Aside: how do you folks find time to write these thoughtful and detailed notes? On the can? Waiting for EV to charge?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Admittedly, I have no idea where I stand.

I haven’t received an email from Ford, and my bubble in my Ford Account still says “Reservation Complete.” My dealer has insisted for a week now that I’m in the first wave, and that they put in my order along with one other. I’m told I’ll get a build sheet and pricing for signature (I passed along my Price and Build, specifying what trim I’m looking for, options, etc.).

Yet I have no email from Ford... And my status hasn't changed.

Am I actually good to go? Has my dealer forgot to click a button? I have serious FOMO right now.
Call thenFord 800 number. They can tell you if you are a Wave 1 invitee.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Mustang 50th anniversary
So you guys think ford will get to all of the priority list people at their dealers?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So you guys think ford will get to all of the priority list people at their dealers?
Depends on dealer allocation and how many vehicles are produced for the 22MY.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Gonna go with a no. I’d guess without any references that maybe the top 10-15 at each dealer get taken care of. Some more and some less depending on allocation.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So regarding the how many units can Ford produce this year….

So if you take the average autoworker, they work 8 hours. Each day is divided into 3 shifts, so 24 hours total, 6 days a week. Since they just started, I would say the production would be around 11 cars per hour, and there are usually 8 UAW Holidays per year.

I believe it would be around 40,000ish for the 1/2 year, unless my 12:30am math is wrong.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
So regarding the how many units can Ford produce this year….

So if you take the average autoworker, they work 8 hours. Each day is divided into 3 shifts, so 24 hours total, 6 days a week. Since they just started, I would say the production would be around 11 cars per hour, and there are usually 8 UAW Holidays per year.

I believe it would be around 40,000ish for the 1/2 year, unless my 12:30am math is wrong.
You are making some assumptions:
  • You are assuming they start with 3 shifts instead of ramping up starting with 1 shift and 5 days a week
  • You are assuming that they can find enough workers for all those shifts right away
  • You are assuming that no new parts supply issues crop up
  • You are assuming that one or more of their suppliers don't ship parts that don't meet the specs

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Crew cab FX4 Lariat- Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Call thenFord 800 number. They can tell you if you are a Wave 1 invitee.
Stayed on hold for 53 minutes and got disconnected yesterday . Tried again for 33 minutes and had to give up .

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
You are making some assumptions:
  • You are assuming they start with 3 shifts instead of ramping up starting with 1 shift and 5 days a week
  • You are assuming that they can find enough workers for all those shifts right away
  • You are assuming that no new parts supply issues crop up
  • You are assuming that one or more of their suppliers don't ship parts that don't meet the specs
Yes, I am. However if you think about it, that’s what they are doing now regarding parts and people. In the video in which they were giving a tour of the facility, you see and hear that they were being instructed. That’s why so said 11 cars an hour. I read somewhere that they can do around 14 cars an hour at that plant.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

Nice job summarizing. I made a few of those assumptions in other posts as well except for number 6… I read about 20,000 in 24 hours and 44,000 in 48 hr.
Sponsored