• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro Audio Upgrade

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I have a Pro on order and I know I’m going to hate the factory system.

Do we expect the speaker system to be the same as the ice truck basic setup? I’m a DIY kinda guy and I’m hoping to peruse the ice forums for upgraded speaker setups to have ready to go when the truck shows up.

Anyone in here do this on a ice f150 and have some suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored

MannyFrescoSC

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I have a Pro on order and I know I’m going to hate the factory system.

Do we expect the speaker system to be the same as the ice truck basic setup? I’m a DIY kinda guy and I’m hoping to peruse the ice forums for upgraded speaker setups to have ready to go when the truck shows up.

Anyone in here do this on a ice f150 and have some suggestions?

Thanks!
It’ll likely still run off the 12v battery in the frunk. I’d imagine it’s a basic sound system install

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would expect the speaker mounting points in the doors/dash to be the same as in the ice xl trucks. I'm sure in the other areas of this forum there is plenty of information about speaker upgrades.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I would expect the speaker mounting points in the doors/dash to be the same as in the ice xl trucks. I'm sure in the other areas of this forum there is plenty of information about speaker upgrades.
No shortage on info for the ICE, I was just wanting to check on whether ford left the speaker setup the same before I dug in.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
No shortage on info for the ICE, I was just wanting to check on whether ford left the speaker setup the same before I dug in.
It's a pretty safe assumption that the setup is the same. Ford kept as much of the vehicle as possible the same as the ICE version to reduce development time and costs.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Just keep your power needs below 50 amps or plan for extra batteries

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Thanks for the replies! I know it’s early but I’m a fan of having toys ready when the vehicle arrives lol.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Just keep your power needs below 50 amps or plan for extra batteries
I wonder if there is a way to access the pro power onboard crap with the amps instead of the small 12v battery so it won’t be as restrictive.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
I also plan on doing an audio upgrade for my XLT.

Pro and XLT have the 6 speaker setup. AT least we start with the 12" Sync 4 head unit.

I've already started to spec out what speakers and amps I'm going to buy.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I also plan on doing an audio upgrade for my XLT.

Pro and XLT have the 6 speaker setup. AT least we start with the 12" Sync 4 head unit.

I've already started to spec out what speakers and amps I'm going to buy.
Feel free to share any thoughts on the process. The last stereo I did was in a 98 mustang GT ?. Was a JL audio fan and Kenwood, I don’t even know what brands are out there now.

Sponsored

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Feel free to share any thoughts on the process. The last stereo I did was in a 98 mustang GT ?. Was a JL audio fan and Kenwood, I don’t even know what brands are out there now.
When in college and a student without much money, I built a couple serious audio systems.

I would usually stick with one or two brands. Sony or Pioneer head units. Then Pioneer amps and component speakers and subs etc...

Then I could afford nice cars with premium sound systems and I didn't have to upgrade the audio systems any more, besides the F-150. My current F-150 I put a Kenwood CarPlay head unit and Kenwood speakers.

For the Lightning I'm fairly certain I'm going with Rockford Fosgate component speakers and maybe their amps.
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.75 or 6.5 components w/ crossover for the front doors
  • Rockford Fosgate Power series 6.5 2-way for the rear doors, I like the tweeter placement/ angled perfectly for the bottom of the rear doors.

I'm digging the AudioControl compact mini amps. I like the integral high-level inputs. It saves me from having to buy a AudioControl LC7i Black 6-Channel Line Output Converter to work with other amps.

Also considering, if I don't go with the AC amp.
I'm going to wait until Lightning arrives before settling on what I'm purchasing. I want to tear apart the frunk to see what's behind the plastic tub.

To see if there is room for a mini amp rack near the 12V battery. Short run for line inputs and speaker outputs. That's why I'm liking the AudioControl mini amps for this truck.

Youtube video of how small and powerful these AudioControl mini amps are.

Instead of going to the traditional spot behind the rear seats.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I was reading a thread on BRONCO6G.com about this plug and play setup. Looks like a good possibility for the Pro. The Kicker Key amp and wiring setup for my Bronco is $380, paired with $300 worth of new speakers it should be pretty good until someone releases a sub box for the factory sub location. I’ve built a few custom fiberglass enclosures in my time, not really interested in doing it again now vs a bolt in installation.

I’ll probably limit my audio budget on the Pro to $1200 or so and see where that gets me.

https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...io-harnesses-kits?_pos=2&_sid=001b5c7d3&_ss=r

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
with the 'frunk', we'll have no issues with ANY sound system we want to employ....roomy, easy, short wiring, easy access - woop!

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
with the 'frunk', we'll have no issues with ANY sound system we want to employ....roomy, easy, short wiring, easy access - woop!
I’m picturing somebody plugging in a home theatre subwoofer and a rack of Emotiva amps:ROFLMAO: There could be a significant ground loop type problem between the 12v and 120v systems.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
probably not an issue, but it DOES remind of a tragic accident about 10 years ago:

my Uncle's cousin wanted to borrow his new Ford F150 to pull his travel trailer to go on a vacation, since his own truck had some issues and would be in the shop.

The cousin hooked up the trailer and wiring to the F150 and pulled it up next to his house, in the right side yard, near the bedroom window.
He then ran an extension cord out the bedroom window and plugged in his trailer, to cool down the fridge overnight before they were to leave.

The next morning, they packed the trailer, and got ready to go. The cousin cranked the truck to get it cool, too.

Unfortunately, when they both went then back into the house to gather other items, the truck started to SMOKE, right from underneath the dash, and they didn't notice it until they were coming back out of the house - then it was too late - the underdash FIRE had reached such temperatures that he could not dare get close enough to turn the truck off.
He then rushed to the back of the truck, fearing that it would also take out his trailer, but could not get the heavy trailer moved.
The truck was now so heavily engulfed, they could get no where NEAR it, OR even near the Trailer, and both of those were parked right NEXT to the HOME! You can guess where this is going...

The tragic day, they lost his cousin's new F150, with it's aluminum wheels in molted liquid puddles, AND his vacation RV trailer, with all of their stuff inside, AND their HOME.

We suppose that it 'might' have been a backfeed of power from the home's 120v power, thru the extension cord, thru the 12v light/brake connections between the trailer and truck, and into the dash FUSE box of the New F150, when he cranked it up. Crazy. Sad. True.
Sponsored