• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Simple Question: Can I use my current generator (gas/portable) hookup to my box?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
100' might be expensive to run a cord I 'd think. That stuff is like gold.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the 240v output, with is TWO 120v separate 30amp lines, combined to make 240v output possible, doesn't care whether it is a 'balanced' load, or not, since that is what the NEUTRAL is for. You can have 240v at 20amps running an air conditioner unit, 5amp of 120v power for a fan on one 'side', and 10amps of various other items running from the 'other' side... as long as neither side EXCEEDS the 30amp output capacity of the ProPOWER, it's designed to work just like any other 240v generator or incoming Utility power.

If you DO exceed the power output, it simply recognizes that and shuts down the whole output, until you reset it. Just like any breaker in your home's electric panel that trips - you reset it to restore power.

bobrosco

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I noticed my house came with a transfer switch and a plug outdoors for a generator also so Iā€™ll plan on using it too.

Anyone know where you can get a super long cable for it? Any good online vendors?

The outdoor plug is in the backyard and truck will be in the garage or front driveway. I mean I could drive the truck into the backyard but would rather not šŸ˜‚. I think I would need a 100ft cord.

My electrician who installed my EV charger said you can make one but not sure I have the skill set for that as Iā€™m not that handy.
RV suppliers (including Amazon) will have pre-made cables and appropriate adapters.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Hey
Right now, power goes out and I fire up my generator. It's portable so I have a line from the generator to my house. I plug it in and filp the switch on my box that changes my 'in' from the grid to the generator. Can I do the same with my LR Lariat? That is, just run line from the truck and flip the switch on my box? Does anyone know? I imagine I am not the only one with this setup
I have exactly that set up and that is what I am planning to do. We are ahead of the game with that switch that locks out the power pole.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I will wait until I get my Lariat to get excited about the possibility of tapping into the truck battery through the 240volt AC plug in the bed of the truck to power my home instead of using a generator. I have an Eaton back up power receptacle and a UL listed mechanical interlock from Siemens to separate generator power from utility power.
Not being an electrician, I donā€™t know what happens when I have unequal loads on each 120v side of the 240v power source. Does that mess up the Lightning inverter? Others has speculated but donā€™t know until we get these trucks. Second, what happens with the GF circuit when attached to my home system that has a neutral line back to the utility power lines as well as a copper grounding bar and a ground connected to my copper water line. Does the Lightning system shut down when connected to my electrical panel? People on this forum have speculated yes and no.
Losing power in the winter is no problem since the snow muffles the sound of my generator and the neighbors windows are closed. In the summer, itā€™s a different story. I would love for this to work but the cynic in me has doubts.
When will your Lightning arrive? I have similar questions.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'll be testing my 'whole house' power as one of the first things I do when mine arrives home the first time... I imagine we'll run into issues with the truck's bonded Neutral, but we'll see...

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
Did you use a 'generac' type transfer switch?

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Sorry, it doesnā€™t work. Truck circuit trips immediately when connected to breaker panel.
On the Powerboost forum someone said it will work IF you disconnect the ground in the male plug that you plug into the outlet on the truck. Only neutral and the two hots will be connected. This will bypass the truckā€™s GFCI tripping. Easy enough to try out. Caution: truck will not be grounded.

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the Powerboost forum someone said it will work IF you disconnect the ground in the male plug that you plug into the outlet on the truck. Only neutral and the two hots will be connected. This will bypass the truckā€™s GFCI tripping. Easy enough to try out. Caution: truck will not be grounded.
Thank you... And thank you for trying and posting!

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
Thank you... And thank you for trying and posting!
Well I havenā€™t tried it yet! Havenā€™t even been able to order the truck yet (reserved during reveal), but I researched this a few months back because Iā€™d love to use the exact same setup at my house. Seems so much easier if you donā€™t mind flipping the lockout switch the few times a year the power is out for more than a minute.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Well I havenā€™t tried it yet! Havenā€™t even been able to order the truck yet (reserved during reveal), but I researched this a few months back because Iā€™d love to use the exact same setup at my house. Seems so much easier if you donā€™t mind flipping the lockout switch the few times a year the power is out for more than a minute.
Iā€™m sure willing to try with your truck. šŸ˜€

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
...and his house :)

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Letter carrier
...and his house :)
How about one out of two?šŸ˜† Seriously, Iā€™ll šŸ’Æ do that and post results hereā€¦.when everā€¦I getā€¦.my truck. Pretty sure someone will beat me to it , and Iā€™m perfectly happy with that!

OP
OP
julian

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I need to buy th transfer switch off amazon for like 400 bucks. My current setup will trip the system like others say. I have a 9500 generator that I could sell that will cover the switch but I'd like to know if it works before I sell the generator. I hate it because it is so loud but it does run my entire house (except for AC).
Sponsored