• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Finished installing my charger & generator manual transfer switch [to provide emergency power to my house using 240v 30a plug in the truck bed]

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I've been trying to run down a way to do this without installing a transfer switch that is part of a critical loads panel. One electrician I spoke to suggested that this would be possible by using the interlock + generator inlet combination plus a 3-pole (L1, L2, N) safety switch before my panel (neutral ground bond is at the meter for me). Anybody have an opinion on whether that would work?
That is an option. It has some other prerequisites, such as keeping your grounds and neutrals separated inside your home panel with no bonding between them in the panel, too.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So do ALL manual transfer switches transfer the neutral?…how do I know whether the transfer switch I have transfers the neutral?

Here is my transfer switch and a picture of how it’s installed with my grid tied PV array. I do not currently have battery backup. The PV solar is a 9.9 Kw system with micro inverters. The wire in the conduit running to the left of the combiner box runs to a plug outside.
I’m pretty sure the Pro Tran transfer switches do not switch the neutral. Reliance sell an “X series” that does have a neutral pole.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
So do ALL manual transfer switches transfer the neutral?…how do I know whether the transfer switch I have transfers the neutral?
No, in fact most of them don't. If you look inside the transfer switch and you see that the neutrals are all tied together without any switching (for example, the incoming grid neutral, incoming generator neutral, and outgoing load neutral are all connected to a single metal strip together), then you don't have switched neutrals.

Many times the documentation will say that the transfer switch is designed for "separately derived systems", which means it can isolate the neutral.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I've been trying to run down a way to do this without installing a transfer switch that is part of a critical loads panel. One electrician I spoke to suggested that this would be possible by using the interlock + generator inlet combination plus a 3-pole (L1, L2, N) safety switch before my panel (neutral ground bond is at the meter for me). Anybody have an opinion on whether that would work?
Should be fine. You should always avoid having the safety switch on and truck plugged in at the same time, regardless of which is supplying power.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I had my electrician add the 30 amp generator input to my panel with a simple mechanical interlock today. I found out quickly that the fault issue is real. Looking for a decent solution to solve it. I’m about $1800 into the 60 amp circuit for the EVSE, 30 amp generator input, and new 20 amp circuit for my basement fridge and freezer. He discussed finding a transfer switch for the mains that would switch the neutral. I’d rather avoid adding a transfer switch with a set number of circuits, but that is a likely possibility.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have been thinking about a simpler solution but would question code ramifications. The truck 220v 4 wire female receptacle would be connected to the temporary power male receptacle (Eaton make the one I use for my portable generator). Instead of having the ground wire from the Eaton box go to the panel grounding system, attach it to another independent ground rod. This way the two 220v lines and the neutral line are connect straight through but the truck or generator is grounded but not connected to panel neutral.
Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored