• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning's range in cold weather... not very good

trenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat-ER Max T; 21 bronco; '08 GT500
I have lariat ER and based on my driving habits, I typically get 280-290 on a full charge, based on the truck but I've never truly tested it since I'm not brave enough to take it below 30 miles. I live in Michigan and the weather got cold this week. Now my range is under 190. Going from an ICE with a 36 gallon tank, getting close to 600 miles per tank to under 190 does not make me want to keep it. I've also had several issues with the technology (like my phone never connects). I have a '21 Bronco and have not had any issues with the tech.

Anyone else having these types of issues?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have lariat ER and based on my driving habits, I typically get 280-290 on a full charge, based on the truck but I've never truly tested it since I'm not brave enough to take it below 30 miles. I live in Michigan and the weather got cold this week. Now my range is under 190. Going from an ICE with a 36 gallon tank, getting close to 600 miles per tank to under 190 does not make me want to keep it. I've also had several issues with the technology (like my phone never connects). I have a '21 Bronco and have not had any issues with the tech.

No real phone issues, but I typically just plug in because wireless Android Auto sucks down the battery.

The range loss is real, but the truck is being conservative with the estimate as well. You can also help it by preconditioning before you leave.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

I also live in SE Michigan. I don't have the problems with the phone connection, but I also came from a 2021 with a 36 gallon tank. While it was nice getting into my 2021 and seeing a big DTE number, I rarely go on far trips. My commute is 100 miles a day. I just plug in every night now that it's cold. It says I have 210 miles at 90%, but I park in a garage.

My opinion, if you can't get over the fact that the range is reduced, and you have a desire to drive long distances on a whim during the winter, an electric vehicle as they are today are not for you. Do yourself a favor and sell it before used car prices crash.

Or, if you don't do a lot of long distance driving, you just have to get over the fact that the range gets lower when it gets cold out. The good thing is, you wake up every day with a "full tank".

I had to go to the gas station today to get gas for the winter. I like a healthy supply for the snow blower and generator in case things get bad. I was reminded of how much I hate going there. The rude people. The smelly fumes. Did I mention the rude people? I hate gas stations. I'll never go back to ICE.

Good luck.

OP
OP

trenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat-ER Max T; 21 bronco; '08 GT500
The 190 is actual mileage. I have only gone 140 miles since having a full battery and it shows that I have less that 50 miles left. If I stay around my house, it's not a deal breaker because of my charger but my family typically prefers to take my truck when we leave town which isn't really an option until the charging network expands greatly.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The 190 is actual mileage. I have only gone 140 miles since having a full battery and it shows that I have less that 50 miles left. If I stay around my house, it's not a deal breaker because of my charger but my family typically prefers to take my truck when we leave town which isn't really an option until the charging network expands greatly.
The charging options in SE Michigan are poor. Hopefully in the next few years that will be fixed. The wife and I last month drove to Baltimore and back. We never felt any range anxiety because the chargers were plentiful. You just had to look for them.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I knew it would be less but not 35-45%.
It can be that much.

It all depends on your use of climate controls, preconditioning, driving style...etc.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I've also had several issues with the technology (like my phone never connects).
I've solved the intermittent problem with sync/android auto connecting to my phone.

Prior to owning the Lightning, my phone never had a problem connecting to my former 2012 F250 blue tooth system & sync-1, even while I had my phones WIFI connected to the home router with auto-reconnect when ever I was in range of the house.

The Sync4 system uses a combination of blue tooth and secondary WIFI network within the truck to establish a wireless android auto connection.

When my phone was connected to the house network, it would ignore the sync4 network attempting to connect AA wirelessly, the bypass to this problem was to use the USB connection then all was well.

My solution, is to disable auto-connect of my phone to the house WIFI, I only manually connect when there is a need, then when done with the house network, I briefly turn phone WIFI off then on to disconnect, then proceed to the truck, on startup of the Lightning the phone ignores the house and automatically connects to the truck, once connected, I set the AA projection SSID to auto-reconnect.

Now I rarely have problems with Sync, AA and my phone, but when it happens I just reboot the sync system (volume down & track forward buttons)

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
All EVs lose range in winter. Put your cell phone outside in the old, and inm30 minutes go see how long the battery lasts.

In very cold weather, like 20 degrees, expect a drop of 40%. That 2.1 miles per kilowatt hour becomes 1.3.

If you spent this kind of money without understanding that, you made a mistake.

I will buy a Rapid Red Lariat ER for sticker minus $10k. Let me know.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X