• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New sensation: :NOTHING from the 'gas' pedal : / out of juice!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
well, tonight it happened...

I've wanted to know, for myself, what 'really' happens when you're out of juice, and tonight the exercise was for real.
146 miles from a DC Fast Charger to my son's home... ooops. Forgot there were 'mountains' in between : /

The whole route from the Chargepoint units in Ft Payne, AL(Home of the almighty band: ALABAMA!) to my son's home
in Young Harris, GA, the 'guessometer' showed a low, but positive, 'miles available' versus the required miles to reach.
Until the mountains got in the way.

Well, I'd been wanting to know, anyway, so here's a good test.
Everything was pretty fine, as I drove cautiously most of those 146 miles. The last 10 were different, though.

I could feel the need for more pressure to the pedal to maintain the same speed. Something was happening, a revelation
especially on inclines. 5 miles out and it was REALLY slowing. Pushing the pedal did nothing to change it. It was going to only
go what it wanted to go. After reaching the top of the hill, going down the other side was fairly good, although mainly due
to gravity.
I knew I could 'make it' to my son's home, mile wise, but I was concerned about the last 100 yards to his driveway. His home
sits on the 'top' of a hill. Coming off the main road to his driveway is 100 yards of 25% grade. I knew THIS would be the test.

It was. It failed. The truck, even with a LOT of speed and momentum just did NOT maintain any speed once we pursued the
incline. It was done.

Oh, no. What now. I'm in the street. I'm in the way. I'm on an incline. Can it be any worse. It's 11pm. It's dark. Not good.

Since I had not gotten very far 'up' that last hill, I decided to put it in Neutral, and led it 'slide' back down to the bottom, when
I had come off the main road. I was able to use that momentum to actually turn 'around', heading the other way, and looking
across that main road to a farmer's field. I said to myself that it would be the place to park, and then I could gather my thoughts
and look for a solution.
Interestingly, though, as I allowed the truck to 'roll' in the edge of the field, just off the road, when I stopped and put it into reverse
to better 'configure' where the truck would sit for the night, I realize then that REVERSE had power.

Well, let's give THIS a try, then!
I kept it in reverse, I REVERSED BACK ALL THE WAY UP THE STEEP HILL INTO MY SON'S DRIVEWAY, and plugged in for the night : )

One may never know why 'forward' did not have power, but REVERSE did. Nice to know, when in a pinch.
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
That’s what I love about this forum….learning about people’s solutions to problems….not just bit**ing about problems….

Nice job!!!

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I would bet that this is, at least in part, a software thing. My edumaguess is that Ford put code in to limit the power in forward when the battery gets low, but didn't bother to make the same code apply in reverse.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Awesome discovery, thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I suspect when you got reduced power, the turtle icon was on your dashboard.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
If you guys ever see me driving in reverse through the mountains of Lake Tahoe, you know what happened. 😄

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
@OutofSpecKyle and @tommolog need to add this to their 70 mph road test protocol. After the battery is depleted in forward 'gear' they should switch to reverse to get the true range estimate. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Did you GOM read zero miles before you got to your destination? Wondering if it is like ICE vehicles where you continue on zero for some time. Did you lose accessory power at any time or is that all run on the 12V? Do you think you gained any regen distance on your roll down the hill?

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for sharing this.
Sponsored