• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Actual Charging Speeds at Home (What are you getting?)

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I’m wondering what charging speeds everybody is getting at home and what charger you are using. I have a Grizzl-e charger on a 50a circuit that should be pulling 40a. The fastest I’ve seen it charge is 20mph. I was expecting 28mph. I have the standard range battery. I haven’t opened up the charger to verify it’s set to 40 amps but the manufacturer says that’s the setting it ships in. Im just trying to decide if I get a different charger or not. I’ve used the ford mobile charger once at work and it’s so slow I didn’t even really pay attention to the charge rate.

Also, could I be seeing these lower charge rates because I’m starting at 50-65% state of charge and it will only go faster at lower states of charge?
Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I have the emporia charger and see 46a. It’s hardwired on a 60a circuit.

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
@Blochead21 how many miles per hour are you seeing when charging? This seems like the easiest and most practical way to measure. And do you have standard or extended battery?

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I have the standard range battery and looking at my charge logs it looks like roughly 20miles per hour as well.

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Don’t have the lightning yet hopefully by end of January 2023. I have ChargePoint home flex 50AMP and charging at a rate of 9.33Kw / about 32 miles per hour in my Mach e California route 1

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@Blochead21 how many miles per hour are you seeing when charging? This seems like the easiest and most practical way to measure. And do you have standard or extended battery?
Actually, it's not a good way to measure. But the FordPass app has dumbed it down for consumers.

Why is it a bad measure? Well, for you, it's probably fine, because you live in Hawaii (we hate you). But, in a good portion of the country, cold temperatures lower range, as does highway driving. I might get 3.0 miles per kilowatt hour on the highway, and 4.5 locally. My 3.0 on the highway turns into 2.3 in winter.

Therefore, a kilowatt of energy gives different mileage depending on a bunch of things.

Let's skip that and talk your charging. The included Ford Mobile Charger is 30 amps. 30 x 240 => 7.2kWh. Assume 15% loss from wall to vehicle, you're at 6.12. Let's call it 6.1. At 2.3 miles per kilowatt, that's 14 miles of range per hour of charging.

With 40 amps, you can do the math, or just increase by 1.33. So 14 miles of range become 18.67.

Of course if you're getting closer to 3.0 miles per kilowatt in your driving, you'll see more miles. If you're seeing 20, then you're probably getting around 2.5 miles per kilowatt driving, right?

As to slower charging depending on the state of charger of your truck - no, you won't see that until you're close to 100%, if at all, with AC charging.

If your Ford Mobile Charger was slow at work, were you using 110v or 240v?

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
@Blochead21 & @Minh both are interesting data points. Blochead is charging at a faster rate but seeing the same range per hour. Ming’s charger is the same speed as mine and seeing faster rates on the Mach e. So far seems like speeds are slower on the lightning for some reason.

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
@RickLightning thats all makes great sense. I know a lot of things affect range but I was thinking due to consistent driving conditions and temps mine would be fairly simply. I failed to think about the hauling I’ve done periodically effecting those charging numbers. I’m typically seeing 3.0 miles per kw, but that goes down with loads. Unfortunately I can’t see real time charging data with my charger, but it seems like I am likely getting the theoretical top end of 9.6kw. I’ve only had the truck for 500 miles so very little data to go off of thus far.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ming’s charger is the same speed as mine and seeing faster rates on the Mach e. So far seems like speeds are slower on the lightning for some reason.
Yet another reason to just forget about measuring charge rate in “miles per hour.”
Since the Mach-E gets about 3 miles per kWh while the Lightning only gets about 2, the Mach-E will appear to charge 50% faster than the Lightning even though you are pumping in kWh at the same rate.
Do you go to the station and purchase 250 miles of gasoline for your ICE?

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
@Blochead21 & @Minh both are interesting data points. Blochead is charging at a faster rate but seeing the same range per hour. Ming’s charger is the same speed as mine and seeing faster rates on the Mach e. So far seems like speeds are slower on the lightning for some reason.
Actually I don’t think so. Miles per hour is not the best way to measure. Best way to measure is how much kw you’re actually charging. Mach e uses less juice compared to lightning therefore it will get more miles at same charge rate. If you can Check how much kw you’re charging at.

Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Seconding @RickLightning. MPH is the worst way to measure charging speed.

Odds are nothing is wrong with your charger or truck. You’re just using a unit of measurement that is flawed from the start when trying to compare to others.

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Makes sense too of why I saw such slow speeds on the mobile charger at work because I had terrible efficiency that day from running around job sites with materials.

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Basically I either need to let it go or buy a charger that shows real time electricity transfer. Which I really don’t need considering I have solar and battery back up and could never use a full charge in a day, lol.

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Basically I either need to let it go or buy a charger that shows real time electricity transfer. Which I really don’t need considering I have solar and battery back up and could never use a full charge in a day, lol.
Ford needs to display the kW going into the battery. Almost every other EV gives you this info but for some reason Ford thinks our stupid little monkey brains can’t handle it.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Take a look at the emporia. It lets you breakdown the data very well. Take a look at the screenshots below of the same charge cycle. One is in amps the other is in kWh.

Ford F-150 Lightning Actual Charging Speeds at Home (What are you getting?) 063AE3D5-9835-4EC6-B67B-B88478B7767F
Ford F-150 Lightning Actual Charging Speeds at Home (What are you getting?) DF748449-B468-42F6-8D54-023788DA3D47
Sponsored