• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Last night I got a ticket for parking "Head in to Back-in Only" while charging at a NYC DOT EV designated charging space.

Cars parked on that street are normally required to back in, but the charging cables are super short so the only way for me to charge there is to pull in, which is what other (non-Tesla) EVs that were parked there were doing.

I can only assume two things:

Either the fine folks at the NYC Traffic Police don't understand that most non-Teslas can only be charged from the front.

Or

They saw a full sized truck in the EV space and assumed it was ICE.

If this were the case, they should've ticketed me for illegally using an EV space, so this means they are essentially going to give tickets to anyone with a charger in the front of the vehicle.

Clearly, I'm going to fight this.

Ford F-150 Lightning I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in. 1674731588526
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I would call up the precinct that issued the ticket to see if they would retract it.
The ticket states you were cited under NYC Traffic Rules 4-08 (a) (1), which states:

§ 4-08 Parking, Stopping, Standing.

(a) General provisions.

(1) Compliance with rules. No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle, whether attended or unattended, other than in accordance with authorized signs, pavement markings, or other traffic control devices, unless necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or direction of any law enforcement officer or other person authorized to enforce these rules.

However, Section 4-08 (3) (i) states:

(i) Dedicated use signs. Standing is prohibited when a dedicated use is specified by a sign, including but not limited to the following curb regulations: Commercial Vehicles Only, Truck Loading Only, Taxi Stand, Taxi Relief Stand, Authorized Vehicles Only, NYP License Plates Only, Doctor License Plates Only, For-Hire Vehicles Only, Ambulance Only, Ambulette Only, Medical Facility Only, Bus Layover Only, NYS Road Test Only, Flea Market Loading Only, Farmers Market Only, Waiting Line, Carshare Parking Only, Electric Vehicle Charging Only, or Parking Permitted.

It should not be a problem to get the ticket dismissed.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I would call up the precinct that issued the ticket to see if they would retract it.
The ticket states you were cited under NYC Traffic Rules 4-08 (a) (1), which states:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a ring.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a trend. I'd hate to have to defend myself over and over.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I just called the precinct. Basically they don't handle traffic tickets, so he said to take photos and present my evidence by going to a website on the back of the ticket. I'm not going to bother taking photos, but I'll present my case in writing and see what happens.

What a pain in the neck.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Were you actually charging? Or was charging complete but you were still plugged in? Or, not charging at all?

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Were you actually charging? Or was charging complete but you were still plugged in? Or, not charging at all?
Definitely plugged in and actively charging.

Unless they change the rule or extend the cables, the've basically created a trap for anyone with a charger in the front.

I wasn't the only vehicle parked head-in. When I got back to the truck, I was the only one still plugged in so I don't know if they ticketed the other cars.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

§ 4-08 Parking, Stopping, Standing.

(a) General provisions.

(1) Compliance with rules. No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle, whether attended or unattended, other than in accordance with authorized signs, pavement markings, or other traffic control devices, unless necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or direction of any law enforcement officer or other person authorized to enforce these rules.

However, Section 4-08 (3) (i) states:

(i) Dedicated use signs. Standing is prohibited when a dedicated use is specified by a sign, including but not limited to the following curb regulations: Commercial Vehicles Only, Truck Loading Only, Taxi Stand, Taxi Relief Stand, Authorized Vehicles Only, NYP License Plates Only, Doctor License Plates Only, For-Hire Vehicles Only, Ambulance Only, Ambulette Only, Medical Facility Only, Bus Layover Only, NYS Road Test Only, Flea Market Loading Only, Farmers Market Only, Waiting Line, Carshare Parking Only, Electric Vehicle Charging Only, or Parking Permitted.

Clearly you haven't dealt with NYC Traffic Police. They never met a ticket they didn't like. Its always been and always will be a money grab.

Been there, done that. Even if innocent, by the time you fight the ticket to contest it cost you as much as just paying the damn thing and moving on with life. (unless it is one of those $200+ special tickets).

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Clearly you haven't dealt with NYC Traffic Police. They never met a ticket they didn't like. Its always been and always will be a money grab.

Been there, done that. Even if innocent, by the time you fight the ticket to contest it cost you as much as just paying the damn thing and moving on with life. (unless it is one of those $200+ special tickets).
I'm not going to push beyond the electronic response I made on their website. If they don't dismiss the ticket, I'll just park in regular spaces from this point on and try to warn people who park there to beware of tickets and that's all I can do.

If it's indeed a trap and not simply that he didn't realize an F-150 can be electric, I won't fall for it again.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'm not going to push beyond the electronic response I made on their website. If they don't dismiss the ticket, I'll just park in regular spaces from this point on and try to warn people who park there to beware of tickets and that's all I can do.

If it's indeed a trap and not simply that he didn't realize an F-150 can be electric, I won't fall for it again.
A trap in NYC?!? Say it isn't so....

I learned the hard way that "school" parking restrictions apply on non-school days. (Yes, I checked the school calendar and confirmed it was indeed NOT a school day Saturday).

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I just called the precinct. Basically they don't handle traffic tickets, so he said to take photos and present my evidence by going to a website on the back of the ticket. I'm not going to bother taking photos, but I'll present my case in writing and see what happens.

What a pain in the neck.

I've contested tickets in NYC before, it's easy to upload photos and tickets have been dismissed sometimes within hours. Might save you some back and forth if you get them a photo out of the gate.

Good luck

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

As a resident, perhaps you should push with your local politicians to get the signs changed. The ticket pretty clearly cites you for violating the signage, so if it was changed you'd be fine (i.e. there is no law against parking nose in).

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I've contested tickets in NYC before, it's easy to upload photos and tickets have been dismissed sometimes within hours. Might save you some back and forth if you get them a photo out of the gate.

Good luck
It was dark and raining heavy last night, so I couldn't even read the ticket until I got home, so I didn't take any photos. I wouldn't know what to take photos of anyway. Typically people take photos of broken meters, but this one is pretty basic. I parked and charged the only way possible.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
As a resident, perhaps you should push with your local politicians to get the signs changed. The ticket pretty clearly cites you for violating the signage, so if it was changed you'd be fine (i.e. there is no law against parking nose in).
Already took steps. Instead of a local politician, I sent an email to the local newspaper. They're always looking for stories like this. If anyone can get this changed, it's them. They've got a better Rolodex than me.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Last night I got a ticket for parking "Head in to Back-in Only" while charging at a NYC DOT EV designated charging space.

Cars parked on that street are normally required to back in, but the charging cables are super short so the only way for me to charge there is to pull in, which is what other (non-Tesla) EVs that were parked there were doing.

I can only assume two things:

Either the fine folks at the NYC Traffic Police don't understand that most non-Teslas can only be charged from the front.

Or

They saw a full sized truck in the EV space and assumed it was ICE.

If this were the case, they should've ticketed me for illegally using an EV space, so this means they are essentially going to give tickets to anyone with a charger in the front of the vehicle.

Clearly, I'm going to fight this.

1674731588526.jpeg
Aww man that's such a trumped up charge. Reason number 5,945,788 not to live in New York 😭
Sponsored