• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Poor treadwear - General Grabber All Season

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Hey guys... anyone else experiencing poor tread life for all season tires. My truck came with general Grabbers. At 6k miles, i've lost 30% tread on the fronts and 20% on the rears. I don't see them lasting beyond 20K miles. These tires are rated at 65K miles warranty

I don't drive my truck like a manic and have 1 paddle on at all times. I'm also not sure how tire warranty works. Let me know if you guys are seeing similar results for all season tires
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Considering how much heavier the EV vs ICE - I am not surprised.

Mine haven't worn much even after 8000 miles - around 2mm lost on all 4 tires.

I would expect about 2 years of service then I will get run flats on mine.

OP
OP

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
10/32"

my front wore down to 7/32" and rears are at 8/32"

i just got them rotated this past weekend

OP
OP

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Considering how much heavier the EV vs ICE - I am not surprised.

Mine haven't worn much even after 8000 miles - around 2mm lost on all 4 tires.

I would expect about 2 years of service then I will get run flats on mine.
do you have all season tires as well

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
yup

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hey guys... anyone else experiencing poor tread life for all season tires. My truck came with general Grabbers. At 6k miles, i've lost 30% tread on the fronts and 20% on the rears. I don't see them lasting beyond 20K miles. These tires are rated at 65K miles warranty

I don't drive my truck like a manic and have 1 paddle on at all times. I'm also not sure how tire warranty works. Let me know if you guys are seeing similar results for all season tires
You're likely looking at the retail version of the tire when you see the 65K tread warranty. If you look online you will see they have different part numbers but are the same tire.

The OEM tire typically has a softer rubber which means faster wear.

My 2021 F-150 PB had roughly 16K miles and the tires were at 4/32.

Ford has a mileage matrix for how much they will cover when it comes to pre mature wear. The $ amount they will provide is based off how many miles are on the vehicle. I had a 2017 Escape that has one tire at 3/32 and they took care of 50% of the cost to replace them. Thing that sucked was you had to use the same tire for the replacements..

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I have had snow tires on for the past 4 months, and they seem to be doing well. Just had them rotated yesterday and they seem to be doing well. The OEM tires were on for about 5 months before I put the snow shoes on.

The truck is all wheel drive, that is always going to wear a tire a bit faster. I had a pair of BFG tires on my '98 GMC and got about 22,000 out of them. I have generally never been impressed with OEM tires. They always seem to be the cheapest things the manufacturer can get.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

The problem you are having is that you are using 1 paddle. That's not a mode that the truck has, so in turn the tires wear more.

Wait, wut? He meant 1 pedal? :p

There is zero difference in efficiency, or tire wear, no matter what mode you use. The truck has blended braking, so when you push on the pedal you in fact are regenerating, until you get to the end of the stop.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’ll have to check mine. I have 11k miles but I haven’t noticed anything visually. Considering it’s a 6800 pound vehicle with 580hp, it’s a tire’s worst nightmare.

Sponsored

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Tire wear is a concern. Watching mine as well. I'd rather stay with all season for better mileage and reduced road noise. There don't seem to be a huge number of tires for the Lariat, larger rim size 275/60R20 rated at 116T (what the door sticker says). Has anyone found a good alternative to the grabbers in the same size rating specs.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I’ve noticed a bit of feathering on the fronts, but other than that no abnormal wear caught my eye. Last time I checked all were over 7mm still with a little over 5,500 mi.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yeah, the General Grabber AS tires seem kinda mediocre to me... I don't see any unusual wear, but I'm only 2100 miles in.

I plan to just use them for now and and see how they look in another 4 or 5 months. If I need to I'll scrap them and put on something good next fall.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
The truck is all wheel drive, that is always going to wear a tire a bit faster.
From some people I trust and my own pea brain logic, I would think the tires would last longer on AWD because of even distribution of power across 4 wheels vs 2 wheels which could minimize tires spinning (if accelerating modestly!). At minimum it would make the need to rotate a little bit less important.

That said… the torque and weight are the enemy of the tires.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
From some people I trust and my own pea brain logic, I would think the tires would last longer on AWD because of even distribution of power across 4 wheels vs 2 wheels which could minimize tires spinning (if accelerating modestly!). At minimum it would make the need to rotate a little bit less important.

That said… the torque and weight are the enemy of the tires.
A quick traipse through Google asking "does all wheel drive wear tires faster" will get you all the answers from any source that you can imagine.

Some say more power goes to the front than the rear, some is about weight, blah, blah, blah. I've always been told they do, and that is my experience as well with prior AWD Subaru and a Sienna van (I called that one the Emasculator.)
Sponsored