• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Level 2 Charging Fault

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning SR XLT 312A
I’ve come across an issue with Level 2 charging within the last 48 hours and I’m getting a charging fault and red ring indicator at the charge port anytime I try and level 2 charge.

I feel like this issue happened after the recent software update I received on Saturday, but can’t say for sure. The software update was PU0306-BCF-DET. I’ve tried multiple different level 1 and level 2 chargers with the same issue, here at home and even the level 2 charger at the local dealership (Clipper Creek) today and the Ford mobile charger.

The truck can DC fast charge fine for now, I tried that last night at a local Electrify America station. I first thought maybe it was a heat issue, it has been warm and muggy here. But overnight it rained and cooled off and still have the same issue.

I’ve called/gone to a few dealers around here but getting abysmal service and expected times they can look at it (3-4 weeks). I’ve even called the Ford customer center and they did what they could but still unable to get a service appt this week. I have a planned roadtrip coming up so it’s a bit annoying as I was planning on L2 charging at my destination.

I feel/hope it’s a quick code that can be cleared or reset but not looking like I’ll have much luck with the local dealers.

Has anyone else ever had this issue and have a solution?
Sponsored

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Sounds like the onboard charger is out to me. Hope someone else has an idea for you.
Sorry

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I thought we covered this in the other thread.

It sounds like either the temperature sensor in the charging port or the onboard charger is bad. Your current plans for charging at your destination will probably not work and you shouldn't count on them.

You need to have your dealer run the codes and diagnose the problem to fix it.

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought we covered this in the other thread.

It sounds like either the temperature sensor in the charging port or the onboard charger is bad. Your current plans for charging at your destination will probably not work and you shouldn't count on them.

You need to have your dealer run the codes and diagnose the problem to fix it.
Thanks - just trying to get an idea if others have had this problem. I’ll have to plan on DCFC for the trip in this case.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks - just trying to get an idea if others have had this problem. I’ll have to plan on DCFC for the trip in this case.
I've seen the red ring fault a lot on the Mach-E forums. A lot of people had the temperature sensor problem and needed a new charging port and harness.

DC charging bypasses the onboard charger, so that is the other possible problem.

You could run it by Autozone or someplace else with a code reader to get the code number. From there you will know exactly what is wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just remembered I had an old scanner from one of my previous cars. I turned the truck on and hooked it up and it’s not showing any codes. I’m not too familiar with these things but I do believe this code reader is pretty old. I’ll give your Auto Zone idea a try.

Ford F-150 Lightning Level 2 Charging Fault IMG_1618

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Yesterday, with the temp around 90 degrees, my truck kept pausing its charging. I had it hooked up to a Ford Charge Station Pro at 80 amp. The first time, the ring on the truck had turned white and the charge station was flashing orange. When I unplugged the truck and plugged it back in the light on the ring and the charge station both turned blue. Periodically thereafter, the Ford Pass App would say that the truck was no longer connected, but when I went outside, the LEDs were blue.

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was able to obtain a BLE OBDII diagnostic tool and used the Car Scanner app to run all DTC while the truck is running and the charging fault error popped up. Not really getting a lot of info from this unless someone knows otherwise (see screenshot). Anything I’m doing wrong while running DTCs? I’m new to this.

Dealer can get me in to have it looked at in a few weeks here. Thankfully DCFC works fine and no other issue with the truck but pretty sure it happened after the 23-PU0306-BCF-DET update loaded last Saturday for me.

Ford F-150 Lightning Level 2 Charging Fault IMG_1653

OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was able to get the vehicle to my dealer for diagnosis, should hear back within the next few days and will post results here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walle1jm

Walle1jm

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Talked to the dealership today and I think they said there was a “B” category code that doesn’t show up on normal code readers such as the one I had? I could have heard them wrong.

Either way, they ordered the onboard charger and believe that’s the culprit and it will be delivered in a few days and they will go from there.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
This is a very interesting thread because I have recently been experiencing a charge fault with the lightning. I have a very similar issue as you, but the issue is that it happens with only one charger.

My office has two lightnings. We have had the same office charger (A reliable Clipper Creek charger) and it has charged both of the lightnings fine. However, recently this charger has been giving my truck a Charge Fault exactly as you describe. It won't charge. Sometimes if I leave it plugged in or remote start the car, the charger will start briefly and then fault. Totally bizarre.

I know the charger works perfectly. It charges my other lightning without any issues. Works perfect.

I have found a really strange workaround at the moment. If I go into the Ford Pass App and delete the location and preferred charge settings for the location, the charger starts working PERFECTLY to charge the truck. It charges exactly like it is supposed to. But, if I unplug to run an errand and come back, charge fault, charge fault, charge fault. But, if I delete the "previous location" again in the Ford Pass app, voila, it starts charging again. I can recreate the problem and solution nearly every time.

I hope your dealership gets it resolved quickly. I haven't taken mine to the dealership yet because the truck charges on other AC charges and it seems like it is something software related with the truck, but hopefully the Ford BEV team can figure it out.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I have been having a similar problem since the most recent update. I have two Gen2 Tesla HPWC either of which will supply 64A.

They are at the same location so the truck does not distinguish between them in its charge settings.

Since the update a week ago, the truck will successfully charge off either of these chargers exactly once. At the next visit after that it will start/stop/start/stop charging in a cycle of about 15 sec (I can hear the contactors in the HPWC cycle) until eventually notifying me in the app that it is unable to charge and to try unplugging/replugging or contact service. Happens regardless of which of the 2 HPWC units and which of my 3 different 80A Tesla->1772 adapters I use. Probably needless to say I can charge my wife's car or any of our neighbors' various cars on either of these chargers with no problem.

Driving away and charging even briefly at another location seems to fix things - for one cycle.

I think one of the recent two supposed "DC charging" updates have broken AC charging somehow, and that there is some complicated interaction with the charge location history.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
Walle1jm