• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning range extending with active ride height control

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Spotted this Lightning at CES. It has a future concept product installed on it that is stated to extend the range of the Lightning. The model pictured here allows for ~40mm of travel. The system will automatically lower the vehicle depending on speed to improve aerodynamic efficiency. Improvement is not published on the information at the show but was stated at 10%. A set is installed on this test vehicle.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning range extending with active ride height control IMG_4980.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning range extending with active ride height control IMG_4981.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning range extending with active ride height control IMG_4982.JPG
Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Adjustable ride height is the feature I miss the most going from my RAM Limited which had it to the Lightning... RAM's has what I think is about 4" of ride height adjustment, Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, Offroad 1 and Offroad 2. The RAM similarly lowers itself to Aero at highway speed with no input from the driver. I would be very interested in an aftermarket system for our Lightnings, as long as they don't think it's worth $5k+. Interesting that this seems to use a helical geared drive type system to raise and lower, where the RAM is simply airbags. I'll be watching for this to hit the market. Thanks for the share.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I’ve had an air suspension before, and I don’t ever want one again. Unless somehow they last for 200k miles with no maintenance required.
I've had them and I think it depends on the system. The one in my Tesla is nearing 200k with no maintenance outside of standard alignments. Due to design issues it did cause frequent problems for the half shafts though.

That said, it was the older style with simple air springs and didn't really offer much in terms of a suspension. It did allow for slightly better efficiency (nowhere near 10%)

I would love the suspension on the Rivian, 6" total of adjustment was amazing on that truck. The driving characteristic changes, the dampening is simply amazing. I would love to have that suspension system on the Lightning but it hasn't proven to be the most reliable so far with a lot of the earlier models having leaks...

On a different note, 40mm = 1.5". If it truly gets 10% better efficiency/range, Eibach lowering springs would be quite an affordable option to increase range..

Last edited:

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
dam...

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Spotted this Lightning at CES. It has a future concept product installed on it that is stated to extend the range of the Lightning. The model pictured here allows for ~40mm of travel. The system will automatically lower the vehicle depending on speed to improve aerodynamic efficiency. Improvement is not published on the information at the show but was stated at 10%. A set is installed on this test vehicle.
IMG_4980.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG
IMG_4982.JPG
Damn this would change everything for me!

Could this be coming for T3? I looked at their site and they don’t sell to the public.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to see a written, money-back, guarantee on that 10%. It is easy to state an efficiency improvement and not back it up with a written guarantee.

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Damn this would change everything for me!

Could this be coming for T3? I looked at their site and they don’t sell to the public.
They said they want to sell this to Ford to includes on future vehicles.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
This mechanical ride height adjustment would be more attractive to me than air. Would want a bit more than 40mm, though. 100mm (4") of travel would be preferred (esp useful on the back axle also for empty/loaded anti-squat compensation).

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
A mechanical ride height adjustment would be more attractive to me than air. Would want a bit more than 40mm, though. 100mm (4") of travel would be preferred (esp useful on the back axle also for empty/loaded anti-squat compensation).
This is a pure mechanical solution. I agree more travel would be better. I personally want the truck to sit lower all of the time.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
There are good reasons that all vehicles aren't equipped with adjustable suspensions. It's expensive, maintenance intensive, unreliable compared to stock, adds weight and complexity and the efficiency gains aren't worth it.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I've had them and I think it depends on the system. The one in my Tesla is nearing 200k with no maintenance outside of standard alignments. Due to design issues it did cause frequent problems for the half shafts though.

That said, it was the older style with simple air springs and didn't really offer much in terms of a suspension. It did allow for slightly better efficiency (nowhere near 10%)

I would love the suspension on the Rivian, 6" total of adjustment was amazing on that truck. The driving characteristic changes, the dampening is simply amazing. I would love to have that suspension system on the Lightning but it hasn't proven to be the most reliable so far with a lot of the earlier models having leaks...

On a different note, 40mm = 1.5". If it truly gets 10% better efficiency/range, Eibach lowering springs would be quite an affordable option to increase range..
Mine was on a crown Vic, and we wound up just running with a spring swap kit. I’m not a big car person, so when stuff breaks it’s a hassle for me, not a “time to upgrade” thing, which I know a lot of people enjoy, and that’s cool. I see this is a mechanical system I think, which should be more reliable than air, but it’s just one more thing to fix when it breaks, and for me the whole electric idea was the get away from things that break, as misguided as that is.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
There are good reasons that all vehicles aren't equipped with adjustable suspensions. It's expensive, maintenance intensive, unreliable compared to stock, adds weight and complexity and the efficiency gains aren't worth it.
Changing the ride height also changes the vehicle Center of Gravity, which surely negatively impacts Electronic Stability Control.
Sponsored