• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

10 Ply Tire effects on miles per kwh

rtshinn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat 132 kwh
I live on a gravel road, and haul about 6000lbs of water every few weeks. I've had a couple of flats. My tire guy says I should replace my tires with 10 plys. I would also like a more aggressive tread.

Has anyone here done this, and what is the effect on mi/kwh or total range?

Robert
Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Used LR E on my ‘99 7.3 SD diesel F250. 24 mpg at 55-56 mph. 75 psi was a hard ride. Good triple axle tow rig at 13K on hitch, but damned those tires would twist on sand, gravel, at intersections. 6 spd stick (and clutch dump was bang). I’d think the higher tire pressure will increase wear due to aggressive throttle wheel spin, particularly on front tires at uh.. launch. As I was working construction.. a lot of dry wall screws & nails :( too!

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
I have 10 ply winter tires (Nokian LT3) and they are freaking unstoppable. I was told E-rated tires are a good idea for heavy trucks with a lot of torque, e.g. the Lightning.
I wish I could tell you what the range impact is, but I bought the truck in winter so I can't compare.

Muerg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
engineering manager
I put 18" 10 ply firestone winterforce on my lightning in the fall. I did some non-scientific comparisons between my regular commutes some short 20 mile one way and some long 70 mile one way. The tire and rim change does not seem to have altered my kWh/Mile. generally in the 2.0 to 2.3 range with factory 20" and these 18" winters. Rims were an ebay purchase from TX. were on an expedition.
Sponsored