• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

$1 PER KWH?

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It ought to be printed on a sign, at a DCFC near you:

“IF YOU FOUND THIS DC FASTCHARGER WORKING AND AVAILABLE WHEN YOU NEEDED IT, THAT’S BECAUSE IT’S PRICED HIGH ENOUGH THAT PEOPLE WHO COULD OTHERWISE CHARGE AT HOME OR ELSEWHERE PREFER TO DO SO, AND HIGH ENOUGH TO COVER THE COST OF PROPERLY MAINTAINING IT. THANKS, AND SAFE TRAVELS!”
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

“IF YOU FOUND THIS DC FASTCHARGER WORKING AND AVAILABLE WHEN YOU NEEDED IT, THAT’S BECAUSE IT’S PRICED HIGH ENOUGH THAT PEOPLE WHO COULD OTHERWISE CHARGE AT HOME OR ELSEWHERE PREFER TO DO SO, AND HIGH ENOUGH TO COVER THE COST OF PROPERLY MAINTAINING IT. THANKS, AND SAFE TRAVELS!”
Stop whining, it’s only $131 to fill up from empty. That’s works out to be only about $0.52/mi.

On an ICE F-150, at 17mpg to go 250 miles that would only be….[checks notes]…uh…[ahem]…$8.91/gallon.

OP
OP
Ventorum94

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don’t think it really matters what the cost of DCFC is (even gasoline equivalent of $9/gal) if pricing assures that it’s available and reliable. Economical charging is home/Level 2 charging. DCFC isn’t even as healthy for our vehicles- it should be used when necessary (away from home, to enable long-distance driving, or in need of an emergency quick charge) and not as a primary charging method. As the exception to regular charging, its cost is really secondary to its availability and reliability.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Economical charging is home/Level 2 charging.
Not here in Mass, well at least in my market DCFC had a major price advantage until 8/16/2023 [half price or better] now I'm on par with home charging having a slight 2-3 penny advantage.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Mercedes in DOTHAN AL is $1 per kwh...

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT

That’s what Tesla is going to be charging in the near future….🤣😂

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Best solution to charging is to have Level 2 wherever you park your truck. That means at the ranch, at the kids' house, at your summer home, at all hotels. I put a 14-50 outlet at the house we use offer as a vacation rental, and advertise as such.

Hardest part I guess is implementing it at apartment buildings.

Few people drive more than 6 hours a day. One or two charges max to get where you are going. Very few people drive all night, so wherever you stop, you should be able to start with a full charge.

Trying to fix the charging problem by putting DCFC everywhere is not the right plan, in my opinion.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
That’s what Tesla is going to be charging in the near future….🤣😂
We laugh now, but is there any reason to believe electric on the road will actually be cheaper than gas in the long run?

If there’s money to be made, they'll make it.

IMO, the current cost right now is the cheapest that public DCFC will ever be because it still has gasoline as competition.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
We laugh now, but is there any reason to believe electric on the road will actually be cheaper than gas in the long run?

If there’s money to be made, they'll make it.

IMO, the current cost right now is the cheapest that public DCFC will ever be because it still has gasoline as competition.
Competition. The more competition, the cheaper it'll become. The one major difference is that wholesale electricity pricing is regulated pretty strictly in most states. Once there is a large and diverse set of DCFC providers there will be incentive to keep rates competitive just like what happens with gas prices.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Competition. The more competition, the cheaper it'll become. The one major difference is that wholesale electricity pricing is regulated pretty strictly in most states. Once there is a large and diverse set of DCFC providers there will be incentive to keep rates competitive just like what happens with gas prices.
Possibly. But EvGo expanding out, Tesla launching Magic Dock and NACS partnerships didn’t see EA drop prices, they increased them. So I’m skeptical that competition will drive costs down.

I’m sure there’s a calculation of it costs them $0.xx/kWh. Each station charges at 350kW and dispenses an average charge of xxKWh per session, it costs the station X to build, so they need to charge X to breakeven in X years.

There’s significant subsidizing with gas as well though, and I think that’s what it will take for DCFC too. Maybe one day it’ll replace gas, but I think it’s a replacement. The “cheaper than” is just the drug habit right now to get us to switch.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
*Best solution to charging is to have Level 2 wherever you park your truck... I put a 14-50 outlet at the house we use offer as a vacation rental, and advertise as such.

**Hardest part I guess is implementing it at apartment buildings.

***Trying to fix the charging problem by putting DCFC everywhere is not the right plan, in my opinion.
* TRUE: 240v charging where your EV 'parks' is the only real long-term solution for anyone contemplating owning an EV. Having a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet everywhere possible cannot be understated... yes, I will put more consideration into a rental that already has this. I am looking into a 3-month rental option right now for my wife's INTERNSHIP in the Orlando area, and this is one of my considerations, or asking the owner to allow me to install one myself.

** TRUE: apartment/condo/rental dwellers do not have the 'ease' of installing a 240v outlet, as we homeowner's do... this impacts the ability to drive an EV in those situations. More and more complex owners are being pressured to provide this, but, honestly, unless those charging stations/outlets are 'fee-based', the landlord is going to be hard-pressed to spend the money to provide them - that ain't cheap.

*** MAYBE: DC Fast Charging IS the need for the long-term, and not just for 'travel', but for the shear need of LOCATIONS to be able to get the power. We don't need SPEED, we need LOCATIONS...

chrisvitek1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Sales
I get $0.1035 per Kw at home. Any public charging site is a ripoff. Emergencies only. If I need to travel beyond 250 miles, I use an ICE vehicle.

DennisM1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD; 2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Attorney
* TRUE: 240v charging where your EV 'parks' is the only real long-term solution for anyone contemplating owning an EV. Having a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet everywhere possible cannot be understated... yes, I will put more consideration into a rental that already has this. I am looking into a 3-month rental option right now for my wife's INTERNSHIP in the Orlando area, and this is one of my considerations, or asking the owner to allow me to install one myself.

** TRUE: apartment/condo/rental dwellers do not have the 'ease' of installing a 240v outlet, as we homeowner's do... this impacts the ability to drive an EV in those situations. More and more complex owners are being pressured to provide this, but, honestly, unless those charging stations/outlets are 'fee-based', the landlord is going to be hard-pressed to spend the money to provide them - that ain't cheap.

*** MAYBE: DC Fast Charging IS the need for the long-term, and not just for 'travel', but for the shear need of LOCATIONS to be able to get the power. We don't need SPEED, we need LOCATIONS...
Some state and local governments are requiring new multifamily to be wired for charging. And, in Washington State there are grants and incentives available for installing multi-family charging. Also, Seattle City Light is piloting curbside utility pole chargers at lower costs than fast charging. Under the pilot people can request City Light install a charging location on their block at curbside. There is a need for both fast charging and local J1772 in my experience.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Live in eastern Washington and so far everything Seattle and the west side has touched has screwed up royally. So please don't hope your state follows Wa, Oregon, Or California.
Sponsored