• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

10k mile checkup, Coolant “Strength” question

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
I own several Fsuperdutys. The 2016 F250 6.7 runs the orange coolant and until ‘20 model year (I have one of those also) requires a refresher in Chemistry 101 every 15k miles. Not just checking level but ph, nitrates…. There’s a test strip and special additive, plus a quantity of orange removal / then additive replacing orange coolant required based on testing results.

My concern is, the local dealer was clueless about the engine block material science and how critical the right testing and resulting treatment every 15k miles could impact the engine life. I’m really concerned if there is a similar requirement when testing the “coolant strength” as deemed necessary in the bullet of the generic 10k screen pop sent by Ford.
What say you smart people? Any of you aware what the true definition of “coolant strength” is for a Lightning? I searched the web and this forum and found no mentions related to strength. Any of you Ford Master Techs wanna weigh in? Thanks in advance!
Ford F-150 Lightning 10k mile checkup, Coolant “Strength” question 40E4A84F-E7F3-4BDF-A00E-0A0EBC697C01
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I feel that the dealership should have access to Ford service manuals for the vehicle that I would imagine will outline and maintenance procedures.

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Having access to reference material and using it are sometimes polar opposites.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has had a 10k mile checkup and was told what coolant strength equates to or has real working knowledge.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The owners manual has you checking it every 6 months. It's also part of the 12month/10000mi checkup. Initial replacement is 10 years/ 222000mi and then every 5yr/111000mi.

Heres how you check it, from the owners manual:

Maintain coolant concentration within
48% to 50%, which equates to a freeze
point between -29–-35°F (-34–-37°C).
Check coolant concentration using a
refractometer. We do not recommend the
use of hydrometers or coolant test strips
for measuring coolant concentration.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What is this owner's manual you speak of? ;)

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Ford F-150 Lightning 10k mile checkup, Coolant “Strength” question IMG_1666

This is what’s in my manual. I am going to do the regular annual “service” myself and bring it in for the brake and fluid services. I keep a maintenance log book, so I should be good for warranty.

I put over 4K miles on it in month one, so those 10k inspections will be coming fast and furious. 😆

RickE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Having access to reference material and using it are sometimes polar opposites.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has had a 10k mile checkup and was told what coolant strength equates to or has real working knowledge.
I will need to schedule my 10,000-mile service next month. Just curious of what the cost is from anyone that has already done it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
$20 - $30.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I will need to schedule my 10,000-mile service next month. Just curious of what the cost is from anyone that has already done it.
More importantly...how long did it take?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Going for mine this Monday..
I was told it would be $90 but she didn't know it was a lightning, she then said $30

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I wasn't going to do it but if it's really only $30 bucks then might as well toss some money to the service bay.

I'm not too worried about the coolant because this is similar to water-cooled PCs. The temps are low, the pressures are low, and there's really nothing that would deplete the coolant's ability other than time as opposed to when it's constantly being heated/reheated, under high pressure, and flowing through mixed metals, etc.

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have called my dealer 3 time, 3 different service managers asking for the definition of strength. All 3 said they would get back to me. Crickets thus far. I will give the local dealer one last opportunity then I will be taking my business elsewhere.

ExCivlian brings up a good point. I wonder what the actual coolant loops temperature ranges are. Was 90 plus here in south texas today.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I received a call from my dealer yesterday telling me it is time to bring the truck in for the 10k mile service. She asked if I wanted to schedule an oil change and tire rotation.

I said sure, if I can watch the mechanic do the service.

She asked why I would want to do that.

I told her because I wanted to see the look on his face when he read the service order.

She was a good sport once she finally figured out I had a Lightning and I told her she brightened up my day.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
This shouldn't be confused with an ICE coolant system. We just don't get up to kind of the temps encountered in a typical V8. Coolant breaks down over time but only because of the extreme temps it's moving. Hence the 200k mile interval.

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have a personal fleet acquired over 40 plus years of purchases and elbow grease growth. Smallest engines are atv to UTV to multiple rubber tired tractors and track tractors and vehicles. What concerns me with Ford (I own 5 Ford pickup trucks a Mach E and a Ford tractor) is the chemistry class I go thru with a ‘16 Ford Superduty not because of temps but material science which is why I am questioning my dealership to define what’s to be done with the checkups.
Sponsored