• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maintenance Schedule - 10k service

Dan's Lightning

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Sometimes we forget to use common sense,
I will do visual inspection for tires myself,
When I see the need to rotate the front and back tires I will then, but not before..
Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
If you think 10k miles is a good interval to rotate your tires to prolong their life on something like a heavy EV with endless torque... you're in for a rude awakening.

Most independent tire shops recommend 5k or some even as low as 3k on these types of cars even at their own resource expense for those who buy tires through them and get free rotations. Don't be surprised if you don't even see 10k miles before you need to replace them on the OEM fitment soft tires. I've had several sets now replaced around that mark with a substantial prorated wear warranty credit.

No way would I even attempt to wait 10k miles for a tire rotation on a Ford Lightning. Conversely, much of what's listed in that list would easily go 10x that mileage before you even need to look at it let alone do anything with it.

The point is, this tire rotation item (much like everything else I see listed in that 10k list) is kind of an arbitrary interval at 10k. It kind of feels like they just threw a bunch of crap together to make it seem like you really need to do it because.. y'know... safety and such.
Maybe an anomaly, one of my fleet vehicles is a much loved (2003 bought new) f250 7.3 diesel. It’s driven daily, roughly 25k/year. It has 500k miles on it. We’ve never rotated the tires. I’ve replaced them at roughly 75k mile intervals (always Michelin ltx) whether they need it or not. That truck weighs about 1,000 lb’s more than the Lightning.

The treads always wear evenly, maybe slight cupping appears when it’s close to replacement time, very impressive imo.
if it’s getting brake work- we may ask to have them rotated, which happens every 150k miles or so.
if I had to bring the Lightning in every 10k miles for maintenance I’d never have bought it as a work vehicle.
While I don’t expect the Lightning to wear as evenly as the immortal 7.3, I sincerely hope rotating every 10k is simply a suggestion with an over-abundance of caution.

Last edited:

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I'll rotate mine every 10k, mostly because I want to say I followed the manufacturer recommendations during warranty. That's said, the recommendation for 5000 or even 3000 rotations earlier simply due to torque is nuts - unless you are daily just laying it down. I don't try to go 0-60 in 3.9 very often, so I'm treating mine like a normal vehicle.

MickeyWNC

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Route Coordinator
Just had 10,000 service completed. Rotated tires, checked battery, topped off wiper fluid, checked thread depth and brakes, a multi-point inspection: cost me about $26.
Nice! Just got my 10k done at my Dealer - bill was $80! (Tire Rotation, fluid top-off & inspection)
I voiced my surprise - they said "Ford just raised the price"; & offered 50% off - this time.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Tire rotation? all wheel drive, 50/50 weight, you would think tire rotation would be less needed?
The fronts ya take the cornering so yes need rotation during their tread life but you would think every 5,000miles would be over kill? Seems crazy to me...

So, which is it... rotate tires every 5,000, or 10,000 miles? If I can remember right, I rotated my tires on my old F-150 every oil change (5,000 miles) because I think I read it in the manual. I did a quick search in the Lightning manual and I saw the rotation pattern but I didn't see how often to rotate them. I rotated mine at 5,000 and I will have 10,000 miles this week.

Thanks.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Nice! Just got my 10k done at my Dealer - bill was $80! (Tire Rotation, fluid top-off & inspection)
I voiced my surprise - they said "Ford just raised the price"; & offered 50% off - this time.
I got my 10k done on Friday and was charged $30

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So, which is it... rotate tires every 5,000, or 10,000 miles? If I can remember right, I rotated my tires on my old F-150 every oil change (5,000 miles) because I think I read it in the manual. I did a quick search in the Lightning manual and I saw the rotation pattern but I didn't see how often to rotate them. I rotated mine at 5,000 and I will have 10,000 miles this week.

Thanks.
Officially the Lightning requires 10K rotations, but some of us old school thinkers go for 5k.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER

Thanks.
If you login to the Ford account dashboard, click on "view all vehicle details" and scroll all the way down to the tiles. One of them should say "Maintenance Schedule." It lists all the maintenance actions your lightning will ever need in 10K mile intervals, all the way up to 200K miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Maintenance Schedule - 10k service 1710029905481

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
If you think 10k miles is a good interval to rotate your tires to prolong their life on something like a heavy EV with endless torque... you're in for a rude awakening.

Most independent tire shops recommend 5k or some even as low as 3k on these types of cars even at their own resource expense for those who buy tires through them and get free rotations. Don't be surprised if you don't even see 10k miles before you need to replace them on the OEM fitment soft tires. I've had several sets now replaced around that mark with a substantial prorated wear warranty credit.

No way would I even attempt to wait 10k miles for a tire rotation on a Ford Lightning. Conversely, much of what's listed in that list would easily go 10x that mileage before you even need to look at it let alone do anything with it.

The point is, this tire rotation item (much like everything else I see listed in that 10k list) is kind of an arbitrary interval at 10k. It kind of feels like they just threw a bunch of crap together to make it seem like you really need to do it because.. y'know... safety and such.
You only got 10,000 miles on your 1st set of tires. I got 51,000 miles before buying new tires.

Sponsored

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I agree a Pointless inspection but will do it just so there isn't any question of warranty issue. Dealers will not honor the warranty for reasons less than doing the required maintenance. And $35.00 is nothing.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
They lied to you. Ford has nothing to do with the pricing.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Thanks.
You didn't read that in a F-150 manual, and the Lightning manual (as well as FordPass) clearly says 10,000.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
You didn't read that in a F-150 manual, and the Lightning manual (as well as FordPass) clearly says 10,000.

I've been rotating tires for 16 years, approximately every 5k for 95K miles. :unsure:

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been rotating tires for 16 years, approximately every 5k for 95K miles. :unsure:
Great. But you didn't read that in the manual. Many recommended every 7,500 miles.
Sponsored