• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
OK so I did something today and I need some opinions. I changed out the running boards. I really like the way these new ones look, but.... they are wider than the OEM ones and from the side of the truck you can see they protrude about an inch beyond the wheels. Maybe it is ok? I feel like I am violating some kind of rule. I think it would have looked better if my wheel offset was closer to 0 then the +20 now...

Ford F-150 Lightning 2.6" Eibach Shocks Level, 295/60R20 Recon Grappler Tires, Fuel Rebel 20x9 Wheels IMG_0412

It is hard to capture in pictures, but it is noticeable to me when I stand next to the truck how they stick out a bit:

Ford F-150 Lightning 2.6" Eibach Shocks Level, 295/60R20 Recon Grappler Tires, Fuel Rebel 20x9 Wheels IMG_0410

What do you think? OK? Or not OK?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I mean, it's not illegal. If you like it, you shouldn't care what any of us think. I personally wouldn't go with that running board because I use the very back part of mine as a way to step up and access the bed, but as far as looks go, those are pretty sharp.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
OK so I did something today and I need some opinions. I changed out the running boards. I really like the way these new ones look, but.... they are wider than the OEM ones and from the side of the truck you can see they protrude about an inch beyond the wheels. Maybe it is ok? I feel like I am violating some kind of rule. I think it would have looked better if my wheel offset was closer to 0 then the +20 now...

IMG_0412.jpg

It is hard to capture in pictures, but it is noticeable to me when I stand next to the truck how they stick out a bit:

IMG_0410.jpg

Mine stick out a little too and it doesn’t bother me. But I like the boards better than the steps.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2.6" Eibach Shocks Level, 295/60R20 Recon Grappler Tires, Fuel Rebel 20x9 Wheels 1715912779474-f6

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

I like those. I’m considering something from RC or the Amp Research.

Sponsored

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
they are wider than the OEM ones and from the side of the truck you can see they protrude about an inch beyond the wheels. Maybe it is ok?

IMG_0410.jpg
I like my running boards to protrude a bit. Then they can act as a "bumper" for at least the front doors of small cars and suv's, as the bottom of the door will contact the running board before the top dings your paint. Helps that you lifted your truck a bit, as it will catch more vehicles.

Doesn't help for back doors though, as they usually have a cutout for the rear wheel well.

I like the look! Post range numbers from the wheel swap when you get them. How many kW/mile are you averaging?

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
I like my running boards to protrude a bit. Then they can act as a "bumper" for at least the front doors of small cars and suv's, as the bottom of the door will contact the running board before the top dings your paint. Helps that you lifted your truck a bit, as it will catch more vehicles.

Doesn't help for back doors though, as they usually have a cutout for the rear wheel well.

I like the look! Post range numbers from the wheel swap when you get them. How many kW/mile are you averaging?
Thanks! After a few days, I definitely like these steps, i am keeping them for sure. The thing that keeps bouncing around in my head is if I should try and swap these wheels for ones with more poke. Maybe not, but we will see. For now I am pretty happy with it. After about 400 miles i am getting 2.0mi/kWh. So about a 15-20% range hit, but IMO well worth it...

Pro or NO

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14 F150 ecoboost
Occupation
Areospace machinist
For reference these are 10 x 20 with a -19 offset. 275/55/20 tires though. Around zero offset might be perfect for ya. What running boards are yours? I was thinking of making extentions for mine, but maybe just replace them.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2.6" Eibach Shocks Level, 295/60R20 Recon Grappler Tires, Fuel Rebel 20x9 Wheels IMG_0189.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning 2.6" Eibach Shocks Level, 295/60R20 Recon Grappler Tires, Fuel Rebel 20x9 Wheels IMG_0188.JPG

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
For reference these are 10 x 20 with a -19 offset. 275/55/20 tires though. Around zero offset might be perfect for ya. What running boards are yours? I was thinking of making extentions for mine, but maybe just replace them.
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
Yeah I was thinking an offset close to zero would be better, but after having them on for a few days, I think I am happy with the way it is.

Here are the ones I got: https://www.oedro.com/2015-2020-ford-f150-supercrew-running-boards-0108

Their selector tool didn't have these for the Lightning, but the running board mounts are the same as an ICE supercrew, everything bolted up just fine. And these are pretty reasonably priced too.

Pro or NO

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14 F150 ecoboost
Occupation
Areospace machinist
Yeah I was thinking an offset close to zero would be better, but after having them on for a few days, I think I am happy with the way it is.

Here are the ones I got: https://www.oedro.com/2015-2020-ford-f150-supercrew-running-boards-0108

Their selector tool didn't have these for the Lightning, but the running board mounts are the same as an ICE supercrew, everything bolted up just fine. And these are pretty reasonably priced too.
Thanks. With the winters here i hate to give up stainless boards, But I like those.

Sponsored

Jdella31

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ER Lariat
Occupation
Construction Manager
Thanks! After a few days, I definitely like these steps, i am keeping them for sure. The thing that keeps bouncing around in my head is if I should try and swap these wheels for ones with more poke. Maybe not, but we will see. For now I am pretty happy with it. After about 400 miles i am getting 2.0mi/kWh. So about a 15-20% range hit, but IMO well worth it...
I am about to do the same setup. 2.3" stage 3 level, Fuel Flex 20 x 9 with +1, with 295/60/20 nitto recon. It's nice to hear that you are still getting 2.0mi/kwh. Is that a mix of highway/local roads?

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
I am about to do the same setup. 2.3" stage 3 level, Fuel Flex 20 x 9 with +1, with 295/60/20 nitto recon. It's nice to hear that you are still getting 2.0mi/kwh. Is that a mix of highway/local roads?
Yes, no about 1200 miles in and it's still 2.0mi/kwh, mostly a mix of highway and local roads. I can see that if I were to take a road trip, it would probably be around 1.7mi/kwh going 75-80mph for long stretches. But at least in my normal mix of driving it has stayed at 2.0. Also I am not driving in sport mode, just normal mode. I think I might gain a little in sport mode or if I used 1 pedal due to the regen, but I find that modes with more regen are not very passenger friendly.

Jdella31

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ER Lariat
Occupation
Construction Manager
Yes, no about 1200 miles in and it's still 2.0mi/kwh, mostly a mix of highway and local roads. I can see that if I were to take a road trip, it would probably be around 1.7mi/kwh going 75-80mph for long stretches. But at least in my normal mix of driving it has stayed at 2.0. Also I am not driving in sport mode, just normal mode. I think I might gain a little in sport mode or if I used 1 pedal due to the regen, but I find that modes with more regen are not very passenger friendly.
Thanks for the reply, I am curious if the +1 wheel to the +20 will be a big ride difference.

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
Thanks for the reply, I am curious if the +1 wheel to the +20 will be a big ride difference.
I don't think it will make much of a difference for the ride, but I think it will look better!
Sponsored