• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

22’ Raptor owner to Lightning! Help needed.

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
Is this a good trade or bad trade?! I know it’s ultimately my decision, but has anyone here done a similar trade (Raptor to lightning)? Are you happy? Are you sad lol? The purchase would be a Lariat ER.

The Raptor is an awesome Baja looking, gas drinking, predator of a truck. I test drove a lightning and fell in love with the handling, acceleration, lack of fuel cost, and, well, the practicality of the frunk with 2 kids. I rarely go over 280 miles in a single day and wouldn’t mind a 20 minute stop for lunch if I do.

I do this “wavering” with every big purchase. I’d love the audiences feedback in good idea vs bad.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I went from a 2017 Raptor to my Lightning (Lariat ER). Unless you off road a LOT, the Lightning is a better truck in just about every category and far more fun to drive on pavement. No regrets and I wouldn't go back if I could.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Is this a good trade or bad trade?! I know it’s ultimately my decision, but has anyone here done a similar trade (Raptor to lightning)? Are you happy? Are you sad lol? The purchase would be a Lariat ER.

The Raptor is an awesome Baja looking, gas drinking, predator of a truck. I test drove a lightning and fell in love with the handling, acceleration, lack of fuel cost, and, well, the practicality of the frunk with 2 kids. I rarely go over 280 miles in a single day and wouldn’t mind a 20 minute stop for lunch if I do.

I do this “wavering” with every big purchase. I’d love the audiences feedback in good idea vs bad.
Is this your first EV? If it is do your research, take your time.

I'm a truck guy, would not drive anything other than a truck. I went from a 2017 Nissan Titan that I loved but it was a Gas guzzler. I did my research, I spent a lot of time on this forum prior to executing my order. I knew all most the Pro's and the Con's, and whether my situation would be negatively affected by the Con's or not. Summary: I am VERY VERY happy with my Lightning ER Lariat as a first time EV owner. It is the only EV on the market I would own.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Go in informed. The lighting is better in pretty much every way, BUT the range estimates are optimistic, and heavily affected by speed and cold weather. Even in Phoenix I only count on my ER to make it 250 miles on a charge. You will spend more time "refilling" so make sure your kids have entertainment on long trips.

FWIW, my whole family loves this truck, except my wife hates parking it compared to her Wrangler. It's been worth the extra time spent charging on road trips.

Sponsored

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor

went from a 22 raptor to 23 lighting.
Don’t miss it.

raptor R possibly I would.
But I get everything the raptor did minus the lift and off road capabilities. But now I can be super fast without being annoying like the v6 sounded at some settings.

the raptor is still a very cool truck though.
About to out a 2” lift on my lightning and get some of that stance back

OP
OP
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
This is an active forum! I really appreciate all the input so far. I nerded out, or better out, obsessed over all aspects of the EV this past week. The range is something I’ll get used to but would rarely max it out. Being in the north east I have chargers everywhere and them lining both the Nj and PA turnpikes in case of a need.

I’m excited but nervous…. “It’s my first asi… I mean EV”. (Wedding Crashers quote).

The planned pickup is in a few hours. Nothing like crossing the i’s and dotting t’s last minute. :ROFLMAO:

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Zaptor > Raptor ... but I may be biased... ;)

You'll love the Lightning and it's costing me 1/18th the fuel cost to operate compared to gas.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is a tough one because the Raptor is a classic and will always hold its value.

The Lightning will be a future classic as far as Ford trucks go but doesn’t hold its value….

Tough choice but @sotek2345 was spot on in his assessment

OP
OP
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
This is a tough one because the Raptor is a classic and will always hold its value.

The Lightning will be a future classic as far as Ford trucks go but doesn’t hold its value….

Tough choice but @sotek2345 was spot on in his assessment
this message comes from the dealership. I’m sitting here still torn. lol.

Ford F-150 Lightning 22’ Raptor owner to Lightning! Help needed. IMG_1767

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I have chargers everywhere and them lining both the Nj and PA turnpikes in case of a need
2010 6.2 Raptor owner ( I was 29 then and took it off roading daily ) to 2016 Platinum , to 2022 lariat er .. life long truck owner and first time ev owner here

- like others have said , you need to know exactly what you are getting into in charging . Like I have to go to Atlantic City for trade shows unfortunately and there are no chargers that are fast within 60 miles of it coming from NY .
- you will need a charger at home so make sure your house does not require expensive mods to accommodate . ( or on the bright side you may be able to add home backup for $600 with the generac switch work around )
- you will Get 270miles range in the summer if you drive fast like me and 190 in the winter .
- you will not get the looks of status of the raptor.

once you get through those things it’s an absolutely fantastic truck with amazing technology and that linear electric torque is chef’s kiss. I’m in love with my truck nearly 50,000 miles later but I rented EVs on vacation to make sure I knew what I was getting into first and did all the research .

Look forward to hearing how happy you are when you buy it .

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Only buy the Lightning if you want ANY and ALL passengers to say, 'HOLY SHIT!' as you accelerate.

Also, I bet you don't get invited to EV events by Ford when buying an old gas Raptor :) . EV is it.

OP
OP
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
2010 6.2 Raptor owner ( I was 29 then and took it off roading daily ) to 2016 Platinum , to 2022 lariat er .. life long truck owner and first time ev owner here

- like others have said , you need to know exactly what you are getting into in charging . Like I have to go to Atlantic City for trade shows unfortunately and there are no chargers that are fast within 60 miles of it coming from NY .
- you will need a charger at home so make sure your house does not require expensive mods to accommodate . ( or on the bright side you may be able to add home backup for $600 with the generac switch work around )
- you will Get 270miles range in the summer if you drive fast like me and 190 in the winter .
- you will not get the looks of status of the raptor.

once you get through those things it’s an absolutely fantastic truck with amazing technology and that linear electric torque is chef’s kiss. I’m in love with my truck nearly 50,000 miles later but I rented EVs on vacation to make sure I knew what I was getting into first and did all the research .

Look forward to hearing how happy you are when you buy it .
Im in central NJ. I didn’t filter for fast chargers when looking. There are a ton of chargers but not many fast chargers at all…

the update is that i left the dealer, unable to decide, and they were pissed. Still debating.

as you all have said, it’s an amazing machine to drive!
Sponsored