• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

22’ Raptor owner to Lightning! Help needed.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Im in central NJ. I didn’t filter for fast chargers when looking. There are a ton of chargers but not many fast chargers at all…

the update is that i left the dealer, unable to decide, and they were pissed. Still debating.

as you all have said, it’s an amazing machine to drive!
nicely done. Don’t sweat it. They are pissed they didn’t get you to buy off emotions. These trucks aren’t going anywhere.
Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I've had an 08 F350 7.3 Power stroke, 2018, F150 5
0 Platinum, 2020 F150 Hybrid 6.5' Platinum, a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER, and now a Limited every option, Max Recline, Massage Seats, etc CPO 21 Powerboost F150. Lightning I towed double axle Dump trailer with 10,000 #s of rock and it felt like nothing was being towed. The ride, power, handling is the Best Truck out there, it's that good. Would still have the Lightning if we didn't tow spontaneously 250-300 miles one way often and have to return the same day. If we just towed within 50 mile radius, would have been fine.

Lightning is amazing but I've always wanted a Raptor as they look so amazing so I think I'd have some regrets. Or maybe I'd be over it. Tough call.

If you or anyone reading this remembers one thing, Always walk away for a few days even with 800-1200$ better deal in order to make the sale. As end of month comes, dealers can and do lose money on our sale, but it will be made up for in Volume Bonus, Allocations, etc.

Your Raptor has done it's huge new vehicle depreciation. The rate of depreciation is much slower already, the Lightning is going to go through that plus some as all Evs do, so another consideration.

We have our second MachE, and Evs are amazing. One of our vehicles will always be an EV, it's just charge at home and no maintenance, (tires I guess) never charged our MachEs or the Lightning anywhere but the house and off Solar no less.

Good luck.

OP
OP
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
my Raptor seats are unreal. I have the standard not the sport seats. Does anyone have any pros and cons with the Lariat seats?

I think i have a weird ass lol and need to make sure car seats don’t mess with my Siatica. Piriformis syndrome is real.

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
When I drive an ICE vehicle (i.e. Newer Tahoe) for long periods my body aches getting out. I don't have that problem with my Lariat.

Guppie Driver

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Pilot
I had a 2013 Raptor with the 6.2, a 2019 Raptor now the 2022 lariat. I love the lightning, occasionally miss the look of the Raptor. Didn't take the Raptor out in the dirt enough so I don't miss it. I love the ride of the lightning. It's so quiet and smooth. Took my 2019 Raptor in for routine maintenance and took a test drive in the lightning and decided I needed it. I hadn't done a ton of research on it but I don't regret it at all.

Sponsored

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Im in central NJ. I didn’t filter for fast chargers when looking. There are a ton of chargers but not many fast chargers at all…

the update is that i left the dealer, unable to decide, and they were pissed. Still debating.

as you all have said, it’s an amazing machine to drive!
Remember, you only need the fast chargers when you travel. During my ownership, I have used them for one trip, maybe two. I charge at night with my wall charger and 240 plug, truck is filled up every morning.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
OP
OP
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Executive
Remember, you only need the fast chargers when you travel. During my ownership, I have used them for one trip, maybe two. I charge at night with my wall charger and 240 plug, truck is filled up every morning.
Mapping trips now trying to find fast chargers.

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
Is this a good trade or bad trade?! I know it’s ultimately my decision, but has anyone here done a similar trade (Raptor to lightning)? Are you happy? Are you sad lol? The purchase would be a Lariat ER.

The Raptor is an awesome Baja looking, gas drinking, predator of a truck. I test drove a lightning and fell in love with the handling, acceleration, lack of fuel cost, and, well, the practicality of the frunk with 2 kids. I rarely go over 280 miles in a single day and wouldn’t mind a 20 minute stop for lunch if I do.

I do this “wavering” with every big purchase. I’d love the audiences feedback in good idea vs bad.
Had two F150 ICE vehicles in past, then purchased a Tesla and drove it for 3 years to get used to "range anxiety," then purchased my Lighting Lariat ER new and have had it since April '23. Personally I love electric, love the handling, acceleration, and even comfort of my Lighting. My family loves it too. I loved my purchase and wouldn't trade my Lightning for anything else. I'm officially spoiled with the awesomeness of electric vehicles lol. I have no problem with the battery range of my Lightning, it suits my needs, but I don't drive more than an hour and a half from home or tow anything. That said, Ford definitely hyped these Lightings and probably should have perfected some of the bugs before release, but that's just what auto manufactures do nowadays right. There are some known concerns out there: infrastructure/charging, service or lack of trained resources, software bugs, and sporadic battery issues. But all things I'm sure Tesla owners probably experienced years ago. Fyi- I just happen to have my Lighting at my Ford service station right now to replace battery module #9. But I'm patient to wait with the Mach-e GT loaner they gave me. I knew as an early adopter of a generation 1 vehicle, I would be somewhat of a guinea pig for issues or buggy software, but I'm ok with that. I'm confident Ford will get issues resolved and the technology will get better. Admittedly though, I have compared the technology and ease of charging of my Tesla with my Lighting. But they are simply different vehicles and companies. There are some anti-EV and negative folks that aren't OK with these issues so I'm sure you saw those forums. Overall though, just do your research, manage your expectations daily, and just be patient. I bet you'll love your Lighting and probably never go back to a gas guzzler again. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

Sponsored
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
If you make the trade make sure it is an extended battery not the standard, otherwise I don't think it would be an even trade. The VIN number has "EV" for extended and the standard has an "EL" in the middle of the VIN. Get a Lariat or above.

The Lightning is my first truck. I could never rectify the gas mileage for running errands, daily driver.....etc when I would rarely use it for any off-roading, towing, hauling big items. The Lightning is like driving around the most gas saving vehicle and having all the other great things with it. Like the old saying "You can't have your cake and eat it too" only you can in this case. My power went out at my home for the entire night and morning because of sub-station issue. I plugged everything in necessary including a portable AC (live in Florida) and in the morning my truck only gone down 30 kwh. That was so cool no generator have to get out and no noise all night. No Raptor can do that.

All the comments about Lightning loosing value I saw I only have this to say. While all the naysayers are complaining because one thing or another in the long run I think the Lightning will far surpass valued an old worn out Rapter and who knows how it was abused and maintained.

If they keep cutting back on production Lightnings will be rare. Everywhere I look I see that if you take care of your battery and only charge to 100% for rare occasion long trips and charge to 80-85% the rest it should still be at 85% or better percent at 200k miles. By the time you reach 200k battery tech will be better and lower cost just look at the new battery from Tesla using it in the cyber truck.

Wesley

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford raptor
Occupation
Retired
We went from a 2020 Raptor to a 2023 Lightning. Love both trucks but they are so different but each makes it's own statement. Would have kept the Raptor but our daughter ended up with it so it is still in the family. You can't go wrong with either one.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Get a Lariat or above.
Your only point I disagree on. After having a MME for awhile I specifically went XLT so I can have dedicated buttons and knobs for Climate control and a those few other things. It's a little more limited in the "'tainment" part of infotainment, but overall superior for me. I found the touchscreen interface slow and clunky, and thus distracting while driving. I'd suggest playing with both to see which you prefer. If BlueCruise is important to you, then yeah, go Lariat, but I also prefer the adaptive CC and lane keep in my XLT over full-on blue cruise that gripes at me when I look over at the screen long enough to change the climate control or radio station.

Honestly I'm really glad I was able to get a '23 cause I really wanted the ER, but won't be able to get it in '24 without the giant screen.

Reactions: JRT

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Mapping trips now trying to find fast chargers.
Don't just find the chargers. Make sure they work. Many either are often broken, or don't deliver the advertised charge rate.

Get the PlugShare app, find the chargers you are likely to use, and scroll through the user posts. Here are a few of the negative ones from the one that I rely on if I go out of town.

#2 offline and there were at least 3 Rivians, a Polestar, and a slow-charging Mini waiting to use the 3 functioning chargers.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2022
COULD NOT ACTIVATE Charged 2 min and failed.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2022
CCS/SAE 28 KilowattsSlowwwww at charger 02. Moved to 03 and got 115kw

There are many people on this forum who have good experiences charging, or don't mind waiting to charge. I'm not one of them, because my options are limited. I just want you to go into this with eyes wide open. Love the truck. Hate to take it out of town, so I take the wife's car. If you can deal with that, get the truck. It's soooo smooth. Not just fast. Smooth. You won't miss the Raptor drama, and that's coming from a guy who loves the sound of powerful motors.

And like someone above said, they are having a hard time giving these away right now. Bargain hard.

Mache_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT, 2023 Lightning, 2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance