• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adapters for mobile charging

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You have commented on this subject in another thread. I agree with the member who posted the following comment: “I seem to get better regen with one-pedal driving than I do standard brake application. I get 100% regen with 1-pedal almost all the time and anywhere from 85% to 95% with braking.” I am very familiar with Fords brake coach having owned both a CMax and Fusion Hybrid. I currently own a TM3 LFP which has the option for blended braking. I only turn it on during the winter when regen is poor due to the battery being cold.
The Lightning has blended braking. Actual pads aren't used until end of stop.
Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
The Lightning has blended braking. Actual pads aren't used until end of stop.
I am aware of that, but like I said with 1- pedal selected, I get better results with the brake coach/regen. I have been driving 1 pedal since owning a 2017 Bolt. I also owned an Ioniq 5 that allowed for many different levels of regeneration. It was a debate in that forum as well regarding efficiency with maximum regen enabled/disabled. I know Ford’s literature states all drive modes have the same efficiency.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I am aware of that, but like I said with 1- pedal selected, I get better results with the brake coach/regen. I have been driving 1 pedal since owning a 2017 Bolt. I also owned an Ioniq 5 that allowed for many different levels of regeneration. It was a debate in that forum as well regarding efficiency with maximum regen enabled/disabled. I know Ford’s literature states all drive modes have the same efficiency.
If you get better efficiency with 1PD, that means that your braking technique when not in 1PD isn’t optimal and the friction brakes are being used (in part) to stop the truck.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
If you get better efficiency with 1PD, that means that your braking technique when not in 1PD isn’t optimal and the friction brakes are being used (in part) to stop the truck.
I wouldn’t know, I am always in 1 pedal. I rarely hit the brake pedal unless in emergency situations. I don’t drive aggressively and I anticipate stopping. I drive my Tesla the same way and that’s not using blended braking as far as I am aware. Even if improved efficiency is just my imagination, I can’t understand why not using 1-pedal isn’t just easier! Why move your foot around if you don’t have to? I also prefer automatic lane centering/intelligent cruise for its ease of use.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
You mentioned worry 2 times in your reply to OP. I was making a pun regarding your choice of words. Whether you worry or not the outcome is the same right?
Having the ability to charge at Tesla destination chargers comes in handy, why would you limit them?
I like unexpected outlets especially the free ones 😉.
Because TeslaTaps are expensive. I felt as the OP did when I first got my truck, and it's a really nicely machined $300 piece of plastic that's been sitting in my glovebox completely unused for near 10k miles now.

I certainly hope that you're not plugging into unexpected outlets without permission.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn’t know, I am always in 1 pedal. I rarely hit the brake pedal unless in emergency situations. I don’t drive aggressively and I anticipate stopping. I drive my Tesla the same way and that’s not using blended braking as far as I am aware. Even if improved efficiency is just my imagination, I can’t understand why not using 1-pedal isn’t just easier! Why move your foot around if you don’t have to? I also prefer automatic lane centering/intelligent cruise for its ease of use.
I agree. I switched 1PD on before I drove it off the lot. It’s still on.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Because TeslaTaps are expensive. I felt as the OP did when I first got my truck, and it's a really nicely machined $300 piece of plastic that's been sitting in my glovebox completely unused for near 10k miles now.

I certainly hope that you're not plugging into unexpected outlets without permission.
I use my Tesla Tap a lot: at home (Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector) at friends/relatives who own Teslas and at hotels etc. Teslas are becoming as common as iPhones around me. Tesla Tap is not cheap, but the build quality and dependability support the price. Sell yours on eBay if you don’t need it, the added convenience might not support the price. Sorry, the reference to free charging was public chargers.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I use standard driving with 2 pedals, Normal mode, and I get 2.7-2.8 mi/kWh on my daily commute (55 miles round trip). Only time I don't get 100% on the brake coach is when the light changes at the perfect distance where you'd have to gun it hard to get through or (what I typically do) brake hard to stop in time. 1 PD is not for me and I'm happy that I can choose to drive normally and get just as much regen.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Pull on the cord
Yeah, I found the "answer" to the adapter removal problem from the Ford Mobile Charger in a Tom Moloughney State of Charge YouTube video. The link is to the time in his video at which he discusses the difficulty of removal:

He says many of his viewers have contacted him about the difficulty of unplugging an adapter from the Ford Mobile Charger supplied with Mustant Mach-Es. He answers that you just have to yank hard on the adapter cord to pull it out! (and he's a pretty strong guy!).

It seems like there ought to be a better way, and I'm going to supply feedback to Ford on the difficulty of unplugging an adapter.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
To be fair, the topic is on adaptors and not portable EVSE. That said, your point is 100% valid, we always need to know what power source we are plugging into and use the correct equipment for the job. (e.g. an adjustable rate portable EVSE so we don't blow a 30A dryer outlet).
This makes me worried. I have been using a 30A dryer outlet to charge all of my EVs since 2014 with no problems. None of our EVs have chargers that pull that much electricity. Is the Lightning ER going to pull more than the cord I bought off Amazon can handle? It is a 10 Ft N14-30P to N14-30R Extension Cable for Level 2 EV Charging with a 30Amp 14-30P Male to 14-30R Female 125V/250V STW 10 Gauge. I think the cord will limit the amount of electricity going to the truck so it shouldn't blow out the outlet but if anyone can confirm, I would be very appreciative! 🙏

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This makes me worried. I have been using a 30A dryer outlet to charge all of my EVs since 2014 with no problems. None of our EVs have chargers that pull that much electricity. Is the Lightning ER going to pull more than the cord I bought off Amazon can handle? It is a 10 Ft N14-30P to N14-30R Extension Cable for Level 2 EV Charging with a 30Amp 14-30P Male to 14-30R Female 125V/250V STW 10 Gauge. I think the cord will limit the amount of electricity going to the truck so it shouldn't blow out the outlet but if anyone can confirm, I would be very appreciative! 🙏
It depends on the rating of the EVSE you use. Cords don’t limit the “amount of electricity.”

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I use my Tesla Tap a lot: at home (Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector) at friends/relatives who own Teslas and at hotels etc. Teslas are becoming as common as iPhones around me. Tesla Tap is not cheap, but the build quality and dependability support the price. Sell yours on eBay if you don’t need it, the added convenience might not support the price. Sorry, the reference to free charging was public chargers.
I've been to a few hotels and destinations with Tesla chargers, but I've yet to be at one where they were either available or working, and I needed power. I've picked places to stay because they have a J1772 hookup... but I've yet to manage to get time on one of those either. There are plenty of fast chargers along routes around here though. And I've even gone for a winter weekend 100 miles away without charging at all.

I don't feel the need to sell it. My only point is that there's no reason to go out and buy a bunch of adapters in advance "just in case". If you're going somewhere that only has a Tesla destination charger, you'll know in advance, and you can buy that adapter then.

That way you always have the right one, and you don't spend money on expensive adapters that you may never use.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
It depends on the rating of the EVSE you use. Cords don’t limit the “amount of electricity.”
I don't have an EVSE .. just the dryer plug connected to the 10G cord and the car charger that I plug into my EV. It a Leaf cable that can support level 2 charging

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I've been to a few hotels and destinations with Tesla chargers, but I've yet to be at one where they were either available or working, and I needed power. I've picked places to stay because they have a J1772 hookup... but I've yet to manage to get time on one of those either. There are plenty of fast chargers along routes around here though. And I've even gone for a winter weekend 100 miles away without charging at all.

I don't feel the need to sell it. My only point is that there's no reason to go out and buy a bunch of adapters in advance "just in case". If you're going somewhere that only has a Tesla destination charger, you'll know in advance, and you can buy that adapter then.

That way you always have the right one, and you don't spend money on expensive adapters that you may never use.
I carry a Tesla mobile connector (includes: 2 adaptors), a Tesla tap, an extension cord, and a lithium-ion car battery jump starter pack. Total cost was $600. To each his/their own.

What’s your stance on having a spare tire for “just in case” purposes?
Ford F-150 Lightning Adapters for mobile charging IMG_4133

Ford F-150 Lightning Adapters for mobile charging IMG_4134

Last edited:

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I got this tesla adapter and have used it at hotels many times already. It's like 50-50 whether a hotel has j1772 VS ONLY tesla wall connectors.

I also carry my old J1772->Tesla adapter even though it's useless now for me. I've lent it to forgetful Tesla drivers who were at the same conference at J1772-only hotels. One guy bought me a gift basket as a thankyou.
Sponsored