• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone reserving: GMC Sierra EV Denali today 10.20.22 @ 5PM ET ??

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
@EVBill Agree with you!

Would have been nicer if either GM or Ford put charge ports on both sides or on front and another in the back to make it easier to use a public charge.

It's tougher to have to flip the truck around to get the short cord to reach.

Then with chargers that are out of service, it makes me scream when I have to move again!
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The 22% is just based on the EPA ratings and battery sizes. We won't get anything more accurate until the GM twins hit the street and people can do real world range tests.

Not just that...

GM battery size/range is just a pure estimate. Similar to Ford "targeting" 300mi but actually ending up with an EPA range of 320mi.

TBH, it would not look good if GMs efficiency was not noticeably BETTER than ford. The whole point of the Ultium battery project and the dedicated platform was to improve the efficiency vs just adapting a regular silverado.

If there is no advantage, there goes GMs advertising campaign and their perceived "advantage" over Ford...

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the charge port location is going to be a challenge on the Silverado and Sierra. DC fast charge stations have pretty short cables and I have found them to be a challenge for plugging into the Lightning with its location. Silverado and Sierras would have to be backed into most stations that I have made use of to date that are designed for pulling into head first and plugging into somewhere on the front of the vehicle.
Backing in is going to be a huge problem if you are towing. Without pull through chargers the situation with the lightning is less than ideal...but sometimes you can hang out in the aisle or pull sideways. That will be really tough to do with GMs placement...

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Backing in is going to be a huge problem if you are towing. Without pull through chargers the situation with the lightning is less than ideal...but sometimes you can hang out in the aisle or pull sideways. That will be really tough to do with GMs placement...
Exactly on point. Charging port location will absolutely require having to drop a trailer to charge, thus negating the benefits of greater range and faster charging rate than the Lightning..

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've owned three GM vehicles, which were all great until they weren't. They became my three most problematic vehicles and hardest to repair. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, shame on me! I love the Hummer and this reveal looks good, I just wouldn't want to spend six figures on a brand I don't have faith in.

...though I did reserve a Silverado. However that was before I had a Lightning, now that I do, I'm comfortable slowing my reservations. Fairly early CT reservation, Silverado, and Fisker Ocean should be enough of an insurance policy if something happens. At least one of these will come out.

Sponsored

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I do like where GM put the charge port, but 107k 🤣🤣🤣🤣
It's wild for me in the Midwest to see all the people that can or want to afford a $107k pickup. My whole ass house (which is a fairly nice all brick 3/2/2 in the suburbs on 1/3 acre) cost $143k in 2018 and felt like a huge accomplishment when I paid that off. I can't imagine paying almost what I paid for my house on a truck. Congrats to those that can but damn.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've owned three GM vehicles, which were all great until they weren't. They became my three most problematic vehicles and hardest to repair. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, shame on me! I love the Hummer and this reveal looks good, I just wouldn't want to spend six figures on a brand I don't have faith in.

...though I did reserve a Silverado. However that was before I had a Lightning, now that I do, I'm comfortable slowing my reservations. Fairly early CT reservation, Silverado, and Fisker Ocean should be enough of an insurance policy if something happens. At least one of these will come out.

Good luck with Fisker. I had an early reservation, but canceled it. Too risky..too many red flags. One month from start of production and a whole host of details missing. I'm not sure Fisker is ready for prime time...

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Exactly on point. Charging port location will absolutely require having to drop a trailer to charge, thus negating the benefits of greater range and faster charging rate than the Lightning..
I think GM is counting on more pull through chargers being available for that scenario, otherwise it’s in the worst place if you have a trailer.

I would have no problem backing into a charger. Currently with my lightning I have to get within an inch of the charger to make the cable reach. The charging port is too far back and the cables aren’t long enough.

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
I read in one of the reviews of the reveal that GM had reached out to previous Denali owners to allow them to make a reservation up to two days ahead of it opening to the general public at 5:00 pm EST 10/20.
I got confirmation of that. Called a dealer to check on my reservation and there were like 7-8 ahead of me already from earlier dates.

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I think GM is counting on more pull through chargers being available for that scenario, otherwise it’s in the worst place if you have a trailer.

I would have no problem backing into a charger. Currently with my lightning I have to get within an inch of the charger to make the cable reach. The charging port is too far back and the cables aren’t long enough.
Who will / does GM partner with for public DCFC network?

Since Ford partners with EA (owned by VW)....

Does anyone know ??

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
@metroshot I seem to recall a thread here that mentioned GM partnering with Pilot and EVgo to build out a network of chargers at Pilot stations.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Is anyone looking to reserve a GMC Denali EV truck today during the reveal ?

https://www.gmc.com/future-vehicles/sierra-ev
The only thing that caught my eye was the range and the super fast charging (100 miles in 10 minutes), but a starting price of $107,000 is way out of my league.

I rarely go more than 150 or so miles on a trip, and when I do, I don't mind stopping.