• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet?

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
if there is any additional capacity it will charge the batteries.
Any idea if the solark can be configured to not charge the batteries through the generator port?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dolomasi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento PHEV
It's been a long time since I've posted to this thread, but I wanted to give an update since we just suffered an ice storm here in Maine that knocked out power to my town for about 40 hours.

We did install the Sol-Ark 15K along with 11KWH of batteries in the house and 13KW of solar panels. A generator port was wired to the Sol-Ark's GEN port from the garage. I disconnected the ground wire in that outlet and I'm able to power the house using the 30A/240V outlet in the bed of the truck.

During the outage the house batteries kicked in immediately and after a short time I activated the truck's outlets. The Sol-Ark was thus getting power from the house batteries, solar, and truck.

While we had a few issues charging the house batteries from the solar and truck, they were due to a communication issue between the batteries and Sol-Ark and solved with a restart of the house batteries themselves.

The truck's additional power worked fantastically and combined with the house batteries, I only used 25% of the truck's capacity in the 40 hours. I was very pleased the truck did so well and am happy I invested in the truck instead of putting that money towards a whole-home generator, which I originally planned for the house.

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
Just curious, I have a 12k Sol-Ark combined with 7kw solar panels and a 9kw battery back-up.
You mentioned this (A generator port was wired to the Sol-Ark's GEN port from the garage) is this GEN port Sol-Ark's Smartload connection?
I had my solar company hook up a 50 amp plug to that Smartload to charge my electric vehicles off the excess solar production during the sunny afternoons. That Smartload is a configurable input or output.
I have been wondering if there is a way to also hook up my truck bed 240 outlet to the same Smartload outlet and change the configuration. But of course I would rather use it almost daily to charge my vehicles from solar than for it to be used very rarely (10-20 hours a year) as a power backup.

OP
OP

Dolomasi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento PHEV
Just curious, I have a 12k Sol-Ark combined with 7kw solar panels and a 9kw battery back-up.
You mentioned this (A generator port was wired to the Sol-Ark's GEN port from the garage) is this GEN port Sol-Ark's Smartload connection?
I had my solar company hook up a 50 amp plug to that Smartload to charge my electric vehicles off the excess solar production during the sunny afternoons. That Smartload is a configurable input or output.
I have been wondering if there is a way to also hook up my truck bed 240 outlet to the same Smartload outlet and change the configuration. But of course I would rather use it almost daily to charge my vehicles from solar than for it to be used very rarely (10-20 hours a year) as a power backup.
I'm not sure about the 12K model, but on the 15K the port can be configured as a generator input or a Smartload output. That sounds similar to your from what I understand.

Sponsored

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
It is exactly the same. I have a NEMA 14-50 50 amp outlet wired to it to charge my ev's from my solar panels.

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Suggest you switch to Enphase. It is simply a better approach without a single point of failure.

And for the time being you want one of these to use the 240V 30A outlet in the bed for home backup. You can use a standard EVSE to charge the truck when the sun is up during said outage.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet? IMG_4541

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet? IMG_4540

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet? IMG_4538

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet? IMG_4539

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone use the Sol-Ark 15K with bed 30-amp outlet? IMG_4537

bluebaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Has anyone actually done this yet? I have a Sol Ark 12 I have yet to try this with.
I have got it setup with 4 Solark 12's in parallel...works great.

I had to not connect the ground to the solarks to prevent the ground fault. We have run the house for a few days from the truck with no issues.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Suggest you switch to Enphase. It is simply a better approach without a single point of failure.

And for the time being you want one of these to use the 240V 30A outlet in the bed for home backup. You can use a standard EVSE to charge the truck when the sun is up during said outage.

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg
Ugh, this is such an elegant solution, but I called about it and it's not approved by my utility, or I'd already have one. Lucky you!
-Zap
Sponsored