• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powering home w/o 30amp outlet

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
Using the 20 amps of available power I’m able to power a good majority of my house if my solar batteries aren’t well charged. Just enough to get us through the night. We obviously can’t run high draw utilities but fridge, tv, StarLink, etc.. are all low enough draw that it shouldn’t cause issue. I realize this may not be the RIGHT way but it is A way to do it. The green plug works with bonded neutral inverters, and that is wired to the 3 breaker generator switch.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powering home w/o 30amp outlet IMG_5006
Ford F-150 Lightning Powering home w/o 30amp outlet IMG_5005
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yep, you are just using the 'regular' ProPower in exactly the way you need to in order to provide 'whole home' service... the only difference between this, and your utility, is your 20amp maximum... and everything must be 120volt devices, appliances, etc., which is obvious, since you have only SINGLE breakers in your sub-panel : )

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yep, you are just using the 'regular' ProPower in exactly the way you need to in order to provide 'whole home' service... the only difference between this, and your utility, is your 20amp maximum... and everything must be 120volt devices, appliances, etc., which is obvious, since you have only SINGLE breakers in your sub-panel : )
Yeah it’s not ideal, but seeing as I don’t have the 30a outlet I had to make it work. And it beats having to run extension cords to every appliance I want to use. It was a PITA with the bonded neutral, and trying to setup a 120v system, but we got it to work.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've considered using the PPOB to charge the solar batteries when needed. I could run a 20-30 amp 240v charger from the L6-30 in the bed only when the batteries need a boost. I think this might be simpler and need less electrical gear. It also solves the ground problem since the 240v systems are isolated.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on the setup?

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've considered using the PPOB to charge the solar batteries when needed. I could run a 20-30 amp 240v charger from the L6-30 in the bed only when the batteries need a boost. I think this might be simpler and need less electrical gear. It also solves the ground problem since the 240v systems are isolated.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on the setup?
If I had a 240v outlet that’s what I do. That’s what I do with my generator now if my solar batteries need a boost.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
If I had a 240v outlet that’s what I do. That’s what I do with my generator now if my solar batteries need a boost.
It should also work with a 15 amp 120v charger just the same. It sounds like you can run a generator to charge your batteries - does it run a 120vAC --> DC charger? If so, you may be able to just tie into that.
Where did you find the green box? That would be some useful kit I think.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It should also work with a 15 amp 120v charger just the same. It sounds like you can run a generator to charge your batteries - does it run a 120vAC --> DC charger? If so, you may be able to just tie into that.
Where did you find the green box? That would be some useful kit I think.
It runs 240v to the inverters and the inverters distribute some DC power to the batteries and some AC to whatever I’m using in the house. I bought it off their website. EZ generator or something. It only works for 1 circuit unless it’s wired like how I have it.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Using the 20 amps of available power I’m able to power a good majority of my house if my solar batteries aren’t well charged. Just enough to get us through the night. We obviously can’t run high draw utilities but fridge, tv, StarLink, etc.. are all low enough draw that it shouldn’t cause issue. I realize this may not be the RIGHT way but it is A way to do it. The green plug works with bonded neutral inverters, and that is wired to the 3 breaker generator switch.
IMG_5006.jpeg
IMG_5005.jpeg
So was it just the EZ transfer switch that did the trick, or was there something more complex to get the Pro-Power on board to play nicely with household wiring?

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So was it just the EZ transfer switch that did the trick, or was there something more complex to get the Pro-Power on board to play nicely with household wiring?
The ez transfer switch did it. However it was a PITA to wire. It was not straight forward wiring. All the neutrals that were on the circuits I wanted to use had to be tied to the neutral coming off the sub panel. And the neutral from the ez generator box had to be wired to a neutral bus bar on the houses panel. I’m not sure if I’m remembering properly, I’ll have to check, but I think that’s how I wired it. But it works and it’s safe most importantly.
Sponsored