• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Volt, F150 Lightning Pro
Thanks for showing us what is possible! Just got the quote for my electrician to install the same when they come out to get my charger installed later this month (truck is in production now).
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I have a single-pole (120V) four-circuit manual transfer switch that is *not* neutral-switching. It was setup to use with portable backup battery systems--a large Goal Zero system in my setup (otherwise used for camping & such).

Breakers are 15 amps. In the event of a prolonged power outage, I use to it keep the (LED) lights on, TV, fridge, and other low-power stuff. Obviously no AC or heavy appliance use (my stuff is all gas anyways).

I haven't tested it yet with my F150L, but I assume I could isolate the ground with one of these: https://www.amzn.com/B01M0FXMFK/

This is what the Goal Zero system is doing after all...there's just a blank depression to accommodate the ground prong for the extension cord running from the Goal Zero pack to the transfer switch.
that link appears to be wrong... it just points to a 3pack of simple 3pole to 2pole adaptors

Tyler Durden

First Name
Cornelius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, F150 Lightning Lariat ER
that link appears to be wrong... it just points to a 3pack of simple 3pole to 2pole adaptors
This is my manual transfer switch, 4 circuits, 120V single-pole:

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?R104B

It is not neutral-switching. So the adapter (I only need one, not three but they're cheap) in the Amazon link above is just isolating the ground for a NEMA 5-15 outlet. As mentioned in similar threads on the bonded-neutral subject, this may mean that the truck won't detect a ground fault, but FWIW all my receptacles that need to be GFI (kitchen, bathrooms, outdoors) are GFI...so there's that.

I haven't tested the transfer switch yet with my F150L, but I've used it previously with a Goal-Zero portable power system.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I just need one of you guys to call my electrician and explain what I need done... maybe we need a forum expert to charge $100 to make calls and educate local electricians.

My house was purchased with a generator hook up installed. I don't own a generator and have never used it. If I could simply plug my truck into the existing setup somehow for not an insane amount of money, that'd be amazing. I know so little about how electrical works, I'm honestly embarrassed to even try to call an electrician to try to set something up.

OP
OP
capt_ramius

capt_ramius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 312A
I just need one of you guys to call my electrician and explain what I need done... maybe we need a forum expert to charge $100 to make calls and educate local electricians.
Sure, you can Venmo me $100 to talk to your electrician 😂😂

Sponsored

eopiela

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Attorney
Has anyone confirmed that third party bidirectional chargers like Emporia actually work or is the F150 firmware locked to the Ford HIS solution?

OP
OP
capt_ramius

capt_ramius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 312A
I should add that the circuit breakers DO NOT come with the transfer switch. Your electrician will have to get those separately.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Has anyone confirmed that third party bidirectional chargers like Emporia actually work or is the F150 firmware locked to the Ford HIS solution?
Also interested to know this. My hunch is no, but I'm hoping it's unlocked soon. That Ford joined the movement for virtual grids is encouraging that this will become reality.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
There's a zero percent chance that bidirectional power works with a different system.

LightingFast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT, BMW M3
I successfully sent power back into my home from the 240V/30A Pro Power outlet in the bed, the truck did not trip. I had an electrician install a Reliance LinkX neutral-switching transfer switch for GFCI generators, moved most of my home’s essential circuits into the transfer switch… tested it out by connecting my Lightning to the inlet, cut off utility power, manually turned on the transfer switch, and it worked like a charm!

This is basically the simplest and cheapest solution to power your house within code using the truck’s 240V bed outlet… no “suicide cord” and no questionable ground or neutral switch on the inlet. I won’t say what the cost (since there are so many variables to each installation) but it was a fraction of the reported cost of the Intelligent Backup Power system.

Please note: You have to use a transfer switch specifically designed for GFCI (neutral-bonded) generators. A normal transfer switch for backup generators will not work because of the neutral-switching issue.

30 amp generator cord connected to the Lightning:
AF596667-F15F-4D03-88BC-06403F46ACBC.jpeg

Generator cord inlet’ed to the transfer switch:
3EAE3556-075E-4F45-AB02-7A2F945FD48D.jpeg

The Reliance neutral-switching transfer stitch (it switches off one of the neutrals in the loop so you don’t get the fault in the truck):
182C948A-3413-453E-9E90-BE85CB370B34.jpeg

Pro Power Onboard powering the circuits in the transfer switch… only drew about 500W:
139A3F17-4B69-4145-9AAA-A635EC40388F.jpeg

Parts list:
  • 30 amp L14-30P/R generator cord
  • 30 amp generator inlet
  • Reliance XRK0303D 30 amp transfer switch for GFCI generators (updated version of the XRC3030D), see page 50 of the Reliance parts catalog https://api.reliancecontrols.com/media/DAFD6723826113254930/DAFL6723827471620578.pdf. You can order through local electric supplier.
    • Generac HomeLink 6852 is an equivalent 30 amp neutral-switching transfer switch for GFCI generators (can order through electric supplier, big box home improvement stores, or online).
  • A licensed, insured electrician to install

(I am not an electrician and this post is not advice or a “how to”… just sharing what I did, install at your own risk. Please consult a licensed electrician if you’d like to consider this option.)
Hey @capt_ramius thanks for the great post. Been reading around on the forum and one thing still seems iffy to me.

"

• Generac HomeLink 6852 is an equivalent 30 amp neutral-switching transfer switch for GFCI generators (can order through electric supplier, big box home improvement stores, or online).
"

Is the 6852 a neutral-switching transfer unit? I keep looking trying to confirm this and can't seem to get a true story. I'm about to to tear the new-in-box unit I have open and examine it myself. However, it would be easier to return if I don't open it before finding out that it is not actually correct.

Thanks!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Hey @capt_ramius thanks for the great post. Been reading around on the forum and one thing still seems iffy to me.

"

"

Is the 6852 a neutral-switching transfer unit? I keep looking trying to confirm this and can't seem to get a true story. I'm about to to tear the new-in-box unit I have open and examine it myself. However, it would be easier to return if I don't open it before finding out that it is not actually correct.

Thanks!
I have a 6852 installed and can confirm that it is a 3 pole switch. Here’s a photo of the inside. I also did a post on the site about my install.

Ford F-150 Lightning PRO POWER OUTLET SUCCESS! Powering My House With Transfer Switch for GFCI Generators IMG_0155

LightingFast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT, BMW M3
I have a 6852 installed and can confirm that it is a 3 pole switch. Here’s a photo of the inside. I also did a post on the site about my install.

IMG_0155.jpeg
Thank you! Feeling very confirmed now. Ready to install soon!

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I successfully sent power back into my home from the 240V/30A Pro Power outlet in the bed, the truck did not trip. I had an electrician install a Reliance LinkX neutral-switching transfer switch for GFCI generators, moved most of my home’s essential circuits into the transfer switch… tested it out by connecting my Lightning to the inlet, cut off utility power, manually turned on the transfer switch, and it worked like a charm!

This is basically the simplest and cheapest solution to power your house within code using the truck’s 240V bed outlet… no “suicide cord” and no questionable ground or neutral switch on the inlet. I won’t say what the cost (since there are so many variables to each installation) but it was a fraction of the reported cost of the Intelligent Backup Power system.

Please note: You have to use a transfer switch specifically designed for GFCI (neutral-bonded) generators. A normal transfer switch for backup generators will not work because of the neutral-switching issue.

30 amp generator cord connected to the Lightning:
AF596667-F15F-4D03-88BC-06403F46ACBC.jpeg

Generator cord inlet’ed to the transfer switch:
3EAE3556-075E-4F45-AB02-7A2F945FD48D.jpeg

The Reliance neutral-switching transfer stitch (it switches off one of the neutrals in the loop so you don’t get the fault in the truck):
182C948A-3413-453E-9E90-BE85CB370B34.jpeg

Pro Power Onboard powering the circuits in the transfer switch… only drew about 500W:
139A3F17-4B69-4145-9AAA-A635EC40388F.jpeg

Parts list:
  • 30 amp L14-30P/R generator cord
  • 30 amp generator inlet
  • Reliance XRK0303D 30 amp transfer switch for GFCI generators (updated version of the XRC3030D), see page 50 of the Reliance parts catalog https://api.reliancecontrols.com/media/DAFD6723826113254930/DAFL6723827471620578.pdf. You can order through local electric supplier.
  • A licensed, insured electrician to install

(I am not an electrician and this post is not advice or a “how to”… just sharing what I did, install at your own risk. Please consult a licensed electrician if you’d like to consider this option.)

Thank you for the very informative thread! I want to get my electrician started on this project. Will this Generac switch work for this application?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Generac-6852-Upgradeable-Transfer-Switch/dp/B00V4NDFZO

OP
OP
capt_ramius

capt_ramius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 312A
Thank you for the very informative thread! I want to get my electrician started on this project. Will this Generac switch work for this application?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Generac-6852-Upgradeable-Transfer-Switch/dp/B00V4NDFZO
Happy to share!

I think that’s it. Double check the description/literature to make sure it says “for GFCI generators” or “neutral switching”… can always look up the item’s manual on Generac’s website to double check.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.