• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Better Range on Freeways - 1 or 2 pedal w/Bluecruise

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Going on a 1,100 mile trip soon (round trip) and it will mostly be freeway miles.

1. How much better is 68 mph than 70mph? I know it will help with range, but how much? (I'm here in Cali and it'll be 40 - 65º on the drive).

2. Is 2 pedal driving better than 1 pedal driving if Bluecruise is engaged most of the way?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Going on a 1,100 mile trip soon (round trip) and it will mostly be freeway miles.

1. How much better is 68 mph than 70mph? I know it will help with range, but how much? (I'm here in Cali and it'll be 40 - 65º on the drive).

2. Is 2 pedal driving better than 1 pedal driving if Bluecruise is engaged most of the way?
1PD vs. 2PD doesn't matter at all if you are using cruise control.

68 vs. 70 won't make that big of a difference and any benefit will likely be lost because charging stations won't be EXACTLY where you need them.

Here is my suggestion and how I would do it (after ~7,000 miles of EV road trips in the last year). Pick a speed that is reasonable but you are comfortable with. 70 is a good number. Then watch your remaining range vs. the distance to you next charger (or destination if it has charging). If you have a comfortable buffer, speed up a little. Time saved driving a little faster will more than offset any extra time needed to charge. If the buffer is shrinking or too small for you, slow down a little. You will need to vary a little bit for every trip since temperature, wind, traffic, etc. will all be different.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
1PD Vs driving it like a normal vehicle is irrelevant with blended braking. As long as you don't stomp on the brake pedal, there is no advantage to either method.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
You may be the only one to observe this because you can't eliminate the aerodynamics of the Lightning and the effect of speed on energy consumption. Speed kills range.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Simsonic

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Here is my suggestion and how I would do it (after ~7,000 miles of EV road trips in the last year). Pick a speed that is reasonable but you are comfortable with. 70 is a good number. Then watch your remaining range vs. the distance to you next charger (or destination if it has charging). If you have a comfortable buffer, speed up a little. Time saved driving a little faster will more than offset any extra time needed to charge. If the buffer is shrinking or too small for you, slow down a little. You will need to vary a little bit for every trip since temperature, wind, traffic, etc. will all be different.
This is good advice...watching the remaining range to the location (with charger) and if I can get there faster, then floor it!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
At 70 mph you should get anywhere between 2.0-2.3 kWh maybe better with slight decline.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I only have this much of what you are looking for. ;)
Credit goes to someone who posted it on the forum.

Ford F-150 Lightning Better Range on Freeways - 1 or 2 pedal w/Bluecruise Lightning Speed Charge Range Table

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
I only have this much of what you are looking for. ;)
Credit goes to someone who posted it on the forum.

Lightning Speed Charge Range Table.jpg
I'm not sure how ready I am to believe those numbers out of hand, the linear decrease in mi/kwhr per 5mph increase is immediately suspicious when the drag force is proportional to speed squared.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
68 vs. 70 won't make that big of a difference and any benefit will likely be lost because charging stations won't be EXACTLY where you need them.
It does how ever make quite bit of difference with blue cruise. It operates much smoother under 68 mph. You are going to have to experiment a bit to see the ideal sweetspot for blue cruise if you choose to use it.

My best mileage is actually without cruise control so I can neutral coast down the hills rather than regen. So 2 pedal then?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It does how ever make quite bit of difference with blue cruise. It operates much smoother under 68 mph. You are going to have to experiment a bit to see the ideal sweetspot for blue cruise if you choose to use it.

My best mileage is actually without cruise control so I can neutral coast down the hills rather than regen. So 2 pedal then?
I have never noticed any difference in operation of Bluecruise at any speed, so I am not sure what might be causing that in your truck.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I have never noticed any difference in operation of Bluecruise at any speed, so I am not sure what might be causing that in your truck.
To be honest I think a lot of it has to do with the pi$$ poor lane markings in my neck of the woods. But I have had issues from Indiana to Texas most highways at particular speeds.

There is a slight ping-pong resonance that builds esp. in low light around 70 mph that I have noticed. Once I drop to about 68 or even better 67 it goes away. Also notice the blue cruise drops out much less frequently. Also at 70 mph when driving past a Semi it pulls to wards it a couple of inches.

Just something I always keep in mind and tweak speed, usually around 68 mph works better.
Sponsored