• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can Charging Rivals Get Boost From Tesla?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The other charging service providers and manufacturers have had the same amount of time, the same pool of engineering talent, and the same real estate availability as Tesla for the last decade. They could have been installing charging infrastructure that isn't broken all along and they didn't. Tesla is not why other EV chargers are half broken down and malfunctioning all the time.

So there's no reason I should expect all of a sudden that will change based on Tesla doing anything at all.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
The other charging service providers and manufacturers have had the same amount of time, the same pool of engineering talent, and the same real estate availability as Tesla for the last decade. They could have been installing charging infrastructure that isn't broken all along and they didn't. Tesla is not why other EV chargers are half broken down and malfunctioning all the time.

So there's no reason I should expect all of a sudden that will change based on Tesla doing anything at all.
Excepting the fact that Elon started with a butt load more money and the revenue from car sales.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Excepting the fact that Elon started with a butt load more money and the revenue from car sales.
Which also isn't changing. It's not like Elon is diverting funding from his own network to other charging networks to help them make infrastructure that doesn't suck.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Which also isn't changing. It's not like Elon is diverting funding from his own network to other charging networks to help them make infrastructure that doesn't suck.
Tesla sales are down and he laid off a bunch of backoffice people that one could argue will have a negative on the charging network which, in turn, would make people move to rival networks which would enrich rivals thus allowing them to improve their networks. It's all just predictions but that's what the human brain does to keep us alive, it just makes predictions :)

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
The entire team that built and maintained the Supercharger network are now looking for jobs. No doubt most will be picked up by other automakers or charging networks looking to replicate Tesla's success. Without the investment from Tesla the Supercharger network's reliability will likely decline and this definitely gives others an opportunity to take the crown.

We may have lucked out because without the Supercharging team, the onboarding of other manufacturers such as GM to Supercharger network will be delayed. Downside is our free adapters are also delayed.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Tesla could also just rehire most of the Supercharger team. Elon likes to make big cuts, see what's broken, then rehire where critical. Glad I don't work there.

I just hope the rural Supercharger in my small hometown I was waiting for will still get built. I keep checking the Tesla website and it still shows "Coming Soon". However, it just dawned on me that the person(s) responsible for keeping that map up to date was probably fired. 😩
Sponsored