• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Extension cable announced by Tesla at: https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging-other-evs#cable

Does the Supercharger cable reach all EVs?
Most Supercharger cables at NACS Supercharger sites should be able to reach your EV charge port, however, in some cases you might have to park over the line in order to charge comfortably. Avoid parking diagonally to reach the cable and try to obstruct as few charge posts as possible. Charge port locations vary by EV model, which requires cable sharing between adjacent stalls at many sites. Tesla is rapidly deploying our latest V4 Supercharger post which reaches all EVs in the same Supercharger stall. Additionally, we encourage all vehicle manufacturers to standardize charge port locations to the rear driver side or front passenger side.

We are working on an NACS to NACS extension cable, which will be available for purchase in the future.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 Lightning NACS Extension Cable Coming From Tesla 1709950846030

I think we mentioned this in another of the upteen threads about NACS, I don't recall which at the moment

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
quote from tesla:

Additionally, we encourage all vehicle manufacturers to standardize charge port locations to the rear driver side or front passenger side.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
quote from tesla:

Additionally, we encourage all vehicle manufacturers to standardize charge port locations to the rear driver side or front passenger side.
Rivian responded that Tesla shouldn’t dictate where manufacturers need to put their charge port and that Tesla should make their Charge cords long enough to reach all vehicles.

I agree with Rivian.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
CCS1 extension cables are already available for pre-order but they are not cheap.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This is Kyle’s report of a road trip with NACS.

Summary: when traffic was light, he finished the trip same time as CCS but during heavy times and high traffic traveling on superchargers would take less time. Kyle had two issues on Superchargers, Tom had zero on CCS. Two of the locations listed as available did not work for Kyle. Every supercharger need a CCS communication module and a compliant meter inside to work for us. And it seems like there are some V3s that is not on the approved map but does work. Cable length may potentially be the reason someone will take out a supercharger. If Location is 50% full, Lightning may not be able to charge without longer cable. There was a supercharger surge issue so Kyle had to move. And in another location, one didn’t work and he had to move.

Last edited:

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
there must be statistics on what possible chargeport locations are most and least likely to suffer accident damage. And I presume but don’t know for sure that a solid accident hit in Lightning or Tesla chargeport won’t cause a conflagration.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Could you elaborate? I don't see how hitting the charge port would have any particularly bad effects other than making it not work any more. I am certain that it has short circuit protection in the unlikely event that the pins somehow get shorted while power is live and the pyro fuse happens to fail.

I do wish that there was a standard location, life would be simpler if everybody had followed Nissan's lead. Unfortunately that is not where we are. It would be nice if the computer industry had started with USBC so I didn't have to have boxes of incompatible cables.

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
quote from tesla:

Of course Tesla would say that. A rear mounted port I'd pretty difficult to deal with if you're actually toeing something.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
there must be statistics on what possible chargeport locations are most and least likely to suffer accident damage. And I presume but don’t know for sure that a solid accident hit in Lightning or Tesla chargeport won’t cause a conflagration.

It's an input charge port, not an output path for electricity. No live high current produced. The charge port will not cause current to flow out.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Meh, I'm not buying a cable.

Maybe some dispenser standards are necessary now so that they can function for all.

99% of the ccs stations I used have long cables, it works and it's not rocket science.

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
This is kinda crazy actually, at least to me. Not the extension chord part, but the part where Tesla is saying we need to standardize charge port locations? Imagine if Toyota or Ford, came out and said we need to standardize fuel tank fill locations? It just blows my mind how gas stations figured this almost 100 years ago, yet with EV's the solution isn't to build better charging locations (that are more like gas stations) but the answer is to standardize the charge point, crazy.

Imagine pulling up to a charging station that was setup like this. Charge where you need to, covered, nobody is blocking any charger, trailer/no-trailer doesn't matter.
Ford F-150 Lightning NACS Extension Cable Coming From Tesla 1710033030118

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This is kinda crazy actually, at least to me. Not the extension chord part, but the part where Tesla is saying we need to standardize charge port locations? Imagine if Toyota or Ford, came out and said we need to standardize fuel tank fill locations? It just blows my mind how gas stations figured this almost 100 years ago, yet with EV's the solution isn't to build better charging locations (that are more like gas stations) but the answer is to standardize the charge point, crazy.

Imagine pulling up to a charging station that was setup like this. Charge where you need to, covered, nobody is blocking any charger, trailer/no-trailer doesn't matter.
1710033030118.png
I am guessing, like most issues in life it is all about money. Real estate needed to do it correctly cost more.
Sponsored