• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can I make do with the standard range battery? Do I want to?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
1. How many miles do you drive a year?
2. Do you have home charging?
3. What trips do you make?

Keep in mind you operate on 75% of range in summer and 60% in Winter for daily driving. EV batteries are only charged to 85% and discharged to 10% on a day to day basis to save on battery wear and tear. That drops another 15% in Winter, more in severe winter with temps and snow.

Look at the day to day range and how you drive and see if it fits.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
That is why I suggested Ford Options - if the depreciation is bad, let Ford take the hit (with the agreed to buy back value).
Makes sense. I'm not familiar with Ford Options.

EDIT: Looks like it's just a closed end lease. Makes sense unless Ford gives you a crappy residual, which is likely. I doubt it will be a good deal, they know resale will be bad on SR trucks.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Makes sense. I'm not familiar with Ford Options.

EDIT: Looks like it's just a closed end lease. Makes sense unless Ford gives you a crappy residual, which is likely. I doubt it will be a good deal, they know resale will be bad on SR trucks.
Ford Options isn't a lease - it is a balloon payment loan with an automatic buy back value. Difference is you own the truck and you get to keep the tax credit. For the Mach-e Ford was also offering rate and rebate incentives to use the plan (I got 1.4% financing and a $2,500 rebate on my Mach-e GT, but I also know it wasn't as good for non-GT buyers).

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Ford Options isn't a lease - it is a balloon payment loan with an automatic buy back value. Difference is you own the truck and you get to keep the tax credit. For the Mach-e Ford was also offering rate and rebate incentives to use the plan (I got 1.4% financing and a $2,500 rebate on my Mach-e GT, but I also know it wasn't as good for non-GT buyers).
Are there any mileage restrictions on it?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
300 mile range will be the MINIMUM truck standard by 2025. I'm assuming most will be 400 mile batteries like GM. Your 3 year old 200 mile truck probably won't be worth much next to the competition. Resale value will be bad. Look at resale on pre 2018 LEAF's.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are there any mileage restrictions on it?
Yeah - you pick it just like a Lease. We did 10,500/yr. which matches what we have seen on my wife's car for the last 3 years.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Functionally, it looks a lot like a lease except you "own" the vehicle, which is obviously a huge bonus because of the tax credit. I'm curious what Ford will bring to the table for 36 month residual values.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The SR would be a great option if there was a guarantee that Ford would update the capabilities (range) with software updates. Unfortunately, like we have seen with the Mach-E Ford will not do that. IMO, the SR in a Pro with Ford Options would be a good started to get the feel of an EV which you can upgrade to the second gen in 2025

Krypto

First Name
Krypto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
........Your 3 year old 200 mile truck probably won't be worth much next to the competition. Resale value will be bad.......
I had a similar assessment and then got thinking. While in percentage terms that would be very true that the depreciation would be higher for SR vs ER, in actual dollar value will it be true?
$45k vs $75k is huge price delta.

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The SR would be a great option if there was a guarantee that Ford would update the capabilities (range) with software updates. Unfortunately, like we have seen with the Mach-E Ford will not do that. IMO, the SR in a Pro with Ford Options would be a good started to get the feel of an EV which you can upgrade to the second gen in 2025
I'm in a similar position. I originally wanted the XLT Extended Range which was projected to be around 60k based on the summer survey. Now with the Tow Package added and the Extended Range it's about 75k. The Lariat ER which include the Tow Package is 77K. It makes no sense to get an XLT ER in my opinion.

So how I'm comparing the costs of an XLT with the Tow Package vs. the Lariat ER. It's about 55k vs 77k. Is the ER battery along with the 80A Charger worth 22k? The kicker is Massachusetts will provide an additional $7500 rebate for the extended range batterie dropping the delta down to 15K.

Are there any calculators out there for the Ford Options to see how this would work? All the calculators that I'm seeing are based on traditional financing. Ford Options might be a good idea for an EV like this.

Sponsored

Krypto

First Name
Krypto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
What's everyone else's opinion on the SR battery?
I have had a BEV only car (various makes and models) since 2014, started with 80 mile range and moved up to 250, had a blast with the 80 mile BEV drove it everywhere and reached home with near zero charge. Ironically I have more range anxiety with the 250 mile BEV. Adding 10K for ER is totally worth it, even if you use it only on occasion, but it seems like retail customers have to pay upwards of $25k to upgrade to the ER. At that price point I'm thinking I could buy another car for the occasional use.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I'm in a similar position. I originally wanted the XLT Extended Range which was projected to be around 60k based on the summer survey. Now with the Tow Package added and the Extended Range it's about 75k. The Lariat ER which include the Tow Package is 77K. It makes no sense to get an XLT ER in my opinion.

So how I'm comparing the costs of an XLT with the Tow Package vs. the Lariat ER. It's about 55k vs 77k. Is the ER battery along with the 80A Charger worth 22k? The kicker is Massachusetts will provide an additional $7500 rebate for the extended range batterie dropping the delta down to 15K.

Are there any calculators out there for the Ford Options to see how this would work? All the calculators that I'm seeing are based on traditional financing. Ford Options might be a good idea for an EV like this.
I messed with the Ford Options Calculator for the Mach-E Performance GT just to get an idea. Of course the Ford Lightning numbers will be slightly different based on residual and the higher demand for Trucks. I'm wondering if we will see actual Ford Options numbers for the Lightning a month prior to deliveries. I know it's only 70 miles of range, but if you drive more that 150 miles a day it might be worth it. Just remember that daily charging will be anywhere from 50-90% depending on your daily driving needs. Charging to 100% you will need to discharge quickly to avoid degradation, then factor in a 10% degradation in the first couple of years. That 230 quickly goes down to about 165 miles charging to 80% and then factor in cold weather depending on where you live.
Sponsored