• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cancelling “In Production” Order

clastevenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(ordered) 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER
Afternoon All,

Given the uncertainty and not wanting to risk my trade going down in value (car accidents happen every day, in addition to wear), I’m likely going to go with a lot Lariat (different dealer) and cancel my 8/14 production XLT ER.
Has anyone done this? Anything to be aware of/do other than telling the dealership you’re out? My understanding is nothing’s final until you sign and drive away, but just want to be sure based on folks’ lives experience.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Afternoon All,

Given the uncertainty and not wanting to risk my trade going down in value (car accidents happen every day, in addition to wear), I’m likely going to go with a lot Lariat (different dealer) and cancel my 8/14 production XLT ER.
Has anyone done this? Anything to be aware of/do other than telling the dealership you’re out? My understanding is nothing’s final until you sign and drive away, but just want to be sure based on folks’ lives experience.
It’s all up to the dealership. Some have let you have your deposit back and others have not.

I deposit is the worst you might be out.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Afternoon All,

You need to read the paperwork / forms you signed / filled out. The deposit may be refundable by state law, it may be refundable because of what you signed. It also may not be refundable.

Scott Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Space Lazer Repair Technician
I was wondering the same about the deposit. UAW will announce what plants go on strike tonight at 10PM. My XLT build is scheduled for 3 weeks from now 10/9. If the strike is going to drag out, I may consider another vehicle.

OP
OP

clastevenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(ordered) 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER
For what it’s worth, I just asked my dealer (I figured it couldn’t hurt so long as I was clear I was not going that route yet).
He confirmed there is no obligation to purchase and they would refund both deposits. However, I do recall the ambiguity at least about the second one (was looking for any trends)

Sponsored

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
Afternoon All,

Hey, I'm in Madison too - let me know what the dealership says.....

Whitewater64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Star White
Occupation
Singer/Conductor
I cancelled my order (Production week August 14) months ago. It took hounding the dealer until I got the right person on the phone. He told me that they were no longer allowed to cancel orders so I would continue to get updates and that he could not refund to the original credit card. So they sent me a check for the full $600. The truck has been shipped as of a few days ago and will go into dealer inventory.

I don't know if what the Finance Manager told me is true. Or if it's a California law that they have to refund the deposit (could be - we do tend to err on the side of protecting the customer over the business (and still have the world's fifth largest economy)). But there's all the info I have for you.

I DIDN'T tell the Finance Manager that I was cancelling because I'd already bought the truck from another dealer and had it brought to me. He didn't ask.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I cancelled my order (Production week August 14) months ago. It took hounding the dealer until I got the right person on the phone. He told me that they were no longer allowed to cancel orders so I would continue to get updates and that he could not refund to the original credit card. So they sent me a check for the full $600. The truck has been shipped as of a few days ago and will go into dealer inventory.

I don't know if what the Finance Manager told me is true. Or if it's a California law that they have to refund the deposit (could be - we do tend to err on the side of protecting the customer over the business (and still have the world's fifth largest economy)). But there's all the info I have for you.

I DIDN'T tell the Finance Manager that I was cancelling because I'd already bought the truck from another dealer and had it brought to me. He didn't ask.
Same here. They said kust ignore the emails. I feel bad. You'd think there's a way to prevent the waste of an orphaned vehicle, but I guess it's all about production and demand numbers.

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
Don't feel bad for cancelling an order. Stock orders were not allowed during this period. They are getting a vehicle that they can sell ...which is better than none at all...

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Don't feel bad for cancelling an order. Stock orders were not allowed during this period. They are getting a vehicle that they can sell ...which is better than none at all...
THIS!!! ^^^^

I kept ordering different vehicles, first time Ford's fault for changing the price structure, second order my Fault for choosing wrong color (very dumb of me to look at the Avalanche color on my computer and not in person), third order to rectify that.

Well the dealer was always "Don't worry, we'll credit your $1500 to the vehicle you buy". Later one of the other sales managers says "You know, the only way we get one for the lot is to have someone back out of an order -- we could sell a lot more of these if we had a few sitting around, we have not problem with you ordering several"

Now, if you switch dealers, it will be trickier. See if the dealer you have a deposit down with, will get the truck that is on another dealers lot. Seems possible and they might make you the same deal, or better.

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
I recently "cancelled" my 8/21 build because another dealership made me a much better offer on a new order ($5,000 below MSRP). Now I have an 11/13 build week.
My original dealership refused to drop below MSRP. They fully refunded my $100 reservation fee and $500 deposit with no hassle at all. I'm now a happy customer of both dealerships.
Sponsored