• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cannot stop the truck from charging to 100%

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Raptor ā€˜21 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Pilot
Regardless of setting a limit in the truck or not it goes all the way to 100% when I charge. The FordPass is a joke as I can only manually stop the charge not adjust the stop time or adjust the target percentage.

Am I doing something wrong?
I should be able to set a max charge percentage in either the truck or the app no? Iā€™ve only been able to set a ā€œone time limitā€ and the truck doesnā€™t honor it.
Anyone else?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Regardless of setting a limit in the truck or not it goes all the way to 100% when I charge. The FordPass is a joke as I can only manually stop the charge not adjust the stop time or adjust the target percentage.

I should be able to set a max charge percentage in either the truck or the app no? Iā€™ve only been able to set a ā€œone time limitā€ and the truck doesnā€™t honor it.
Anyone else?
As far as I know, the one time limit is just for DC fast charging. To limit at home charging, you need to set up the location (after charging once), and then set the limit for that location. You do this in the truck.

It is a shitty system and I have no idea why Ford chose to do it this way, but once set up it should work fine.

OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I see, ok thank you!

Ajjra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat

Anyone else?
Just double checking that you are actually hitting Save after you set the charge level below 100%
(Iā€™ve made this mistake a couple of times)

Sponsored
OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Just double checking that you are actually hitting Save after you set the charge level below 100%
(Iā€™ve made this mistake a couple of times)
Yep, Iā€™ve gone back and rechecked it multiple times.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
actually, I've used the APP more exclusively than working the center screen in the truck to set up Charging Schedules, change the Charge Percentage, etc... seems to work just fine.

I have found, though, that the truck will OVERRIDE your schedule, and start EARLY, if it determines that it needs that extra time to reach your Charge Percentage goal, by your end time.
This confounded me for many days, until I recently found a work-a-round, at least until Ford provides an OTA update to give us more OPTIONS for charging:
If you have a Charge Schedule set for 11pm to 7am, during the lowest-rate times from your utility, and you arrive and plug in at 5pm with 40% SOC, it may start IMMEDIATELY, rather than waiting until it's prescribed 11pm start time. It 'thinks' you want it to reach the Charge Schedule, no matter the start time.
I want it to WAIT, no matter, but it will not.......SO, I decided to play around with the Schedule Times and found a solution: Move the 'END' time to 15-18 hours from the 'start' time. The truck then doesn't have to 'start' earlier than your scheduled start time, and you can STOP the truck anytime you wish simply by using the app.
So, in my situation, the 'Start' time is 11pm, and I have an artificial 'End' time of 6pm... and it works perfectly. If I have a day where a lot of miles are put on the truck, and I arrive with less than 40-50% SOC, the truck still waits until 11pm to start charging. I may not have 80-100% by 7am, but I can determine from the APP if I've already received enough for the days needs.

One thing, though, is that while you might 'assume' that the end 6pm Schedule time is the next day, Ford's internal system doesn't view it that way. What I mean is that if you arrive home and plug in BEFORE 6pm, the truck will IMMEDIATELY start charging - it thinks that 6pm is the START time! Crazy, but true. So, I have to WAIT until after 6pm to plug in the truck, even if I arrive home at 5pm.
Ford's system just views Schedule Times as 'time', not as whether in the 'future', or not. It's simply a 'trigger' to flip an internal switch.

I'm also lucky to be using a third-party 240v 32amp Adjustable Charger module(EVSE) from MaxGreen. It works great, and it gives me good 'visual' feedback of what is happening, and from a long distance away. I can look from my bedroom window and see whether it is Charging, Not Charging, or 'WAITING' for the charging to start.
The issue with the Ford Mobile Charger is that is has little to no 'visual' output, and I have a hard time even seeing the blue 'blinking' light even when I'm close to it. I keep it in my truck for emergency needs while traveling.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
To limit at home charging, you need to set up the location (after charging once), and then set the limit for that location. You do this in the truck.
It's also well-buried in the app.

Vehicle>Charging>Charge Settings>Preferred Charge Times>Select Radio Button 'Use Preferred Charge Settings'>(Tap on your Saved Charging Location)

There's a preference slider for MAX CHARGE LEVEL and you can choose your utility rate plan. After saving, it has honored both my time-of-use rate and preferred charge level.

OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I found it now but only after saving my charger as "home". I didn't realize that was necessary. Compared to my wife's Telsa this software is absolutely atrocious

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
As far as I know, the one time limit is just for DC fast charging. To limit at home charging, you need to set up the location (after charging once), and then set the limit for that location. You do this in the truck.

It is a shitty system and I have no idea why Ford chose to do it this way, but once set up it should work fine.
iā€™ve used the one time limit on public AC charging as well. I set the max to 80% when i charge at work. Itā€™s worked for me. Could be a public vs private thing? I donā€™t know, I havenā€™t tried to set the limit at home. I donā€™t have any ā€œlocationsā€ set up.

Sponsored

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
I'm having the same issue as well. I'll have to try the suggestions listed in this thread. I still can't get child locks to turn off even though I've followed the directions properly in the manual.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I don't understand the "one time charge limit", when i set it it stays set until I cancel it. I set it to 85% on Monday and I'm charging for the third time now. It's still set and my target charge level says 85%. I charged twice at work and now I'm charging at home.

OP
OP
SeanOC

SeanOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
As mentioned earlier in the thread the ā€œone time charge limitā€ is for DC fast charge locations.. possible AC as well not sure. Iā€™m guessing you have limits set for those chargers as saved charging locations? If so you should be able to adjust that limit in FordPass once you start charging

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
I'm having the same issue as well. I'll have to try the suggestions listed in this thread. I still can't get child locks to turn off even though I've followed the directions properly in the manual.
Are you still having the child lock issue? I have the same happening to me so frustrating šŸ˜©
Sponsored