• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Assist (Public Charging) is Rolling Out!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi Owners – Charging is about to get even better with another way to activate your charge experience!

Now, with Charge Assist, soon to be known as Public Charging, you will be able to search for and start a public charging session on the BlueOval® Charge Network right from your vehicle’s touchscreen. The best part? You now have the option to use either the vehicle’s touchscreen or the FordPass App on your phone to charge your car and complete a payment. This is especially helpful if you need to lend your car to a friend!

You will also be able to filter charging stations by charging speed and network and have a more seamless way to receive real-time information on new chargers, like availability and those in-repair all from inside your vehicle.

Just like you could before, you can still use the FordPass App – we are just giving you more choices for how you charge. As a reminder, the BlueOval Charge Network, North America’s largest public charging network by an automaker, is a “network of networks” that provides Ford EV drivers with access to a variety of charging providers without the need for multiple apps and memberships. Charging providers currently include Shell Recharge Solutions, Electrify America, EVgo, ChargePoint, FLO, Blink, EV Connect, and Electric Circuit, with more on the way.

If you aren’t enrolled in BlueOval Charge Network no problem. You will see a QR code on the screen that will prompt you to enroll.

Below is a guide of how to use the new feature and you can find more information here. Let us know what you think!

How To Use Charge Assist:

Navigating to a Public Charger:

1. Select Home button
  2. Tap Charge Assist
  3. Adjust filters if desired then tap charger location for details
  4. Click the distance button to navigate to charger. Once you are at the charging location, click I’m Here Now

Start a Charging Session:
  1. Select Home button
  2. Tap Charge Assist
  3. Match charging stall name to the one you are parked at and click Activate
  4. Plug in the charger once you see the prompt change
  5. Charging will begin! When the blue bar reaches desired state of charge press stop
  6. Unplug the charger one the prompt appears
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Assist (Public Charging) is Rolling Out! 10224.PNG
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I wonder what database it uses to identify potential charge stations. I'm intrigued and will give it a try, but it'll only take a couple of times where it sends me to non-functional chargers before I go back to manually searching for one on my phone with plugshare.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just to be clear, this just appears. It isn't an OTA update.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what database it uses to identify potential charge stations. I'm intrigued and will give it a try, but it'll only take a couple of times where it sends me to non-functional chargers before I go back to manually searching for one on my phone with plugshare.
The BlueOval Charge Network.

It doesn't send you anywhere. You use the Navigation to get to a charger. As you stop, you use this tool to activate the charger and get out of the vehicle while the handshake is completing, and then plug in.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

It doesn't send you anywhere. You use the Navigation to get to a charger. As you stop, you use this tool to activate the charger and get out of the vehicle while the handshake is completing, and then plug in.
The first sequence of steps sound like it will give me a list of chargers after I enter some filtering criteria. Then it uses Ford's navigation software to show me how to get to the charge station I select. I simplified that to "it sends me."

The BlueOval Charge Network you mention is a combination of charge networks managed by other companies. If Ford is managing their own database comprised of the combination of those managed networks, I'm skeptical that it will update frequently or in a timely manner with newly built charge stations and/or remove non-functional ones that the owning company chooses not to repair or replace.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The first sequence of steps sound like it will give me a list of chargers after I enter some filtering criteria. Then it uses Ford's navigation software to show me how to get to the charge station I select. I simplified that to "it sends me."

The BlueOval Charge Network you mention is a combination of charge networks managed by other companies. If Ford is managing their own database comprised of the combination of those managed networks, I'm skeptical that it will update frequently or in a timely manner with newly built charge stations and/or remove non-functional ones that the owning company chooses not to repair or replace.
I used it this weekend. I knew what charger I was going to. You cannot use it while moving. So, you can play if you want, stopped, to figure out the charger, and have it navigate to it. I suspect after your first try you'll do the following:

- Figure out charging stop(s). As you pull into charging location, look at charger ID and then open the app and activate it.

You'll figure out whether it is useful to you or not.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used it this weekend. I knew what charger I was going to. You cannot use it while moving. So, you can play if you want, stopped, to figure out the charger, and have it navigate to it. I suspect after your first try you'll do the following:

- Figure out charging stop(s). As you pull into charging location, look at charger ID and then open the app and activate it.

You'll figure out whether it is useful to you or not.
Did you use it with your Mach-E because this software/feature set was first release on those cars or do you have the first version on your truck? The article read like it's yet-to-be-released.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you use it with your Mach-E because this software/feature set was first release on those cars or do you have the first version on your truck? The article read like it's yet-to-be-released.
Mach-E. Test group.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It is released. There are other threads here on the forum. There were Lightning owners that were part of the Early Access group (I was not one of them). Last week on the day the gag order was lifted many found the icon already on our trucks and have since played with and tested it.

Look on your app screen for Charge Assist.

Its a little undercover right now how and when they distributed it or how the uncovered the icon. As noted by @RickLightning it wasn't connected directly to a SW release when it appeared.

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
How is an "Active Payment Method" set up with Ford. Hope it is kept secure!

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
If you are a knowledgeable EV driver and already use PlugShare and have the apps for all the major CPOs this tool is really not very useful. It is really just a tool for EV novices who don’t understand all the nuances of charging. I think it is a great tool for that purpose because I see people at the chargers who are struggling to get a session started and this could benefit them. I tried it this weekend and all it did was slow me down. Also, you can’t take advantage of any discounts if you activate the charge through this tool.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

If you are a knowledgeable EV driver and already use PlugShare and have the apps for all the major CPOs this tool is really not very useful. It is really just a tool for EV novices who don’t understand all the nuances of charging. I think it is a great tool for that purpose because I see people at the chargers who are struggling to get a session started and this could benefit them. I tried it this weekend and all it did was slow me down. Also, you can’t take advantage of any discounts if you activate the charge through this tool.
Yeah Plugshare looks to be one of the better apps

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you setup your truck after you bought it, you provided Ford with a credit card when you turned on the free connected services, like Plug and Charge to use your free EA hours. That's what they use, the card in your Ford wallet.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The same as it’s always been. You gave them a credit card when you setup BOCN so you could get your 250 kWh that came with the truck.
Sponsored