• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Console to column shift swap mod?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I know it's been discussed in various threads before, but I figured it was worth it's own thread. I love that the Lightning has a very tactile, physical shifter, instead of some dinky knob or flat buttons, but God, do I hate its location. Oooh ahh it can fold down with a motor that sounds like an amorous donkey, and you can fold out a table! But they could have forgone all that complexity by just using a column shifter and this would also allow for use of the work surface while the vehicle is in motion.

So I've seen for several years that it's common in the ICE F150 community to convert column shift trucks to console shift. (Why, I'll never understand) but I don't think I've ever seen the reverse done, although I imagine it would simply be the reverse process. I'll link a detailed video below on the procedure.

What I'm wondering is if this can be done on the Lightning. I have a Lariat so the biggest hurdle is probably figuring out how the dash comes apart. Ive taken apart the console area before to retrofit the deleted accent lighting in, but never the center stack/head unit area. The other question is whether or not the ICE column shifter will play nicely with the Lightning or if it'll work at all.

Sponsored

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you a technical/maker type of person?
I suspect the rotary knob from a vehicle like the explorer would work. What are the chances? Someone with the same opinions owns a lightning and a 2022+ Ford vehicle with the rotary knob and would be willing to take apart their console of both vehicles to swap modules and give it a try.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I know it's been discussed in various threads before, but I figured it was worth it's own thread. I love that the Lightning has a very tactile, physical shifter, instead of some dinky knob or flat buttons, but God, do I hate its location. Oooh ahh it can fold down with a motor that sounds like an amorous donkey, and you can fold out a table! But they could have forgone all that complexity by just using a column shifter and this would also allow for use of the work surface while the vehicle is in motion.

So I've seen for several years that it's common in the ICE F150 community to convert column shift trucks to console shift. (Why, I'll never understand) but I don't think I've ever seen the reverse done, although I imagine it would simply be the reverse process. I'll link a detailed video below on the procedure.

What I'm wondering is if this can be done on the Lightning. I have a Lariat so the biggest hurdle is probably figuring out how the dash comes apart. Ive taken apart the console area before to retrofit the deleted accent lighting in, but never the center stack/head unit area. The other question is whether or not the ICE column shifter will play nicely with the Lightning or if it'll work at all.

Sorry, I didn't address your final paragraph question. I have no idea how the column shift in trucks work these days. I would expect there to be some type of mechanical interaction, but with everything drive by wire these days maybe not. However, the rotary knob that fits in the exact same center console is a CAN module that is plug and play with the lightning gear shift module, that I can tell. Next time I rent one from Avis I'm going to swap modules and see what happens. I'm hoping shifting and normal driving would work the same, but there is a difference in the neutral button and the manual shift button in the middle. I have 40k miles on my Lightning and have not used the extended time neutral button once.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144847625266

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I appreciate the enthusiasm, lo e to see the results. The point about it stowing is to prevent driving while the table us deployed for safety concerns. I agree, I think it is overkill.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, I didn't address your final paragraph question. I have no idea how the column shift in trucks work these days. I would expect there to be some type of mechanical interaction, but with everything drive by wire these days maybe not. However, the rotary knob that fits in the exact same center console is a CAN module that is plug and play with the lightning gear shift module, that I can tell. Next time I rent one from Avis I'm going to swap modules and see what happens. I'm hoping shifting and normal driving would work the same, but there is a difference in the neutral button and the manual shift button in the middle. I have 40k miles on my Lightning and have not used the extended time neutral button once.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144847625266
Yeah I'm not a fan of knobs or buttons for shifting, but I definitely think it'd be easier to test the knob. What I do know is the column shift is simply done by wire as well so no linkage. Column shifts haven't had real linkages since the end of the panther platform in all likelihood.

But definitely let us know your findings if you do test it!

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Watching closely. I miss my floor space, console is going one way or another! I was planning on just the column shifter. First step will be to take off plastics around the steering column and see if mounting holes are there. I suspect, if so, it’ll be pretty easy to plug it in based on how easy it is to swap from column to console for the ICE folks

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I can report that bolts holes are not there for column shifter (2023 pro)
I’m hopeful the bolt holes are on another component that can be purchased and bolted to the steering tube, and not welded from factory. The search continues

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? IMG_8406

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? IMG_8404

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
looking at some eBay salvage parts it appears the bracket is normally welded to the extension tube

so that would require either a column swap or a custom bracket. I’m not keen on using non oem components around the column

im looking at the dash thinking the spot beneath the brake control would be a great location for the explorer dial. I look forward to hearing more about potential compatibility with that component

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? IMG_8414

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can report that bolts holes are not there for column shifter (2023 pro)
I’m hopeful the bolt holes are on another component that can be purchased and bolted to the steering tube, and not welded from factory. The search continues

IMG_8406.jpeg

IMG_8404.jpeg
That's disappointing to see 😕

I was hoping it'd be a more straightforward swap. I wonder if ICE F150s that come with the console shifter also have columns missing the bracket? My guess is any truck that comes with the console shifter from the factory has a column without the bracket.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That's a nice smooth tube for the steering column. Any chance it is a standard size. Can you find a pair of calipers and measure it for us?

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I was also super bummed to discover this
That's a nice smooth tube for the steering column. Any chance it is a standard size. Can you find a pair of calipers and measure it for us?
This is the telescoping portion that slides in and out. You can see the bottom of it in the salvage part I posted a pic of above. This still has the flange welded to it the end that the rest of the steering wheel assembly bolts to
i Probably won’t have it off again to measure too soon but if I do, will be happy to measure

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I would look at relocating the existing shifter control switch onto the front of the dash. That seems a lot more viable than messing with the steering column.

See the E-transit van shifter location for an example.

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? 1695228464033

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Following... I also feel the console shifter is wasted space/annoying to the point that I never ever use the armrest work surface. That god awful noise of the motor... ugh.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I recently drove a Dodge RAM ICE and it has the knob shifter on the dash.
At first I scoffed, but after using it, it was very useful. Easier than than a column shifter and better than the Lightning shifter, which is way overkill for not actually engaging any mechanical gears.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Subscribing as well. In addition to wasted space, it's not a very premium feeling shifter. I have the redesigned Sierra Denali and its shifter is much better feeling across the board. An EV truck should have either had the column shifter or rotary know. Completely pointless to have a chunky console shifter.
Sponsored