• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed?

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford was "forced" because they needed to reuse as much as possible to hit their price and timeline, which I think was the right decision for them, but it did force their packaging dimensions.

I think the rear seats in the CT are very close to the SuperCrew. That picture has the front seats artificially far forward. But we'll see.

CT will hold 6 people which Lightning currently doesn't offer as an option.
CT has 3500lb payload, 6.5' bed, big towing number, huge power numbers, will have a 200kWh battery or larger, 350kWh charging speed, bullet resistant skin, self leveling air suspension, etc..

We'll see if these specs change when it comes out.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I think the rear seats in the CT are very close to the SuperCrew. That picture has the front seats artificially far forward. But we'll see.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true - Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and with my seat Iā€™m the preferred position, the rear of the console is not far from that positioning. But feel free to take them all the way back:

Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? 0E4FA5F8-B51E-4A2C-8447-8E8A8D2A0A4A

Either way you cut it, whatever photos you use the CT rear seat appears clearly many inches smaller than the SuperCrew:

Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? 3FEA4599-69B9-41B7-8046-82BF3F900220
Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? 8D15636C-39A0-47BB-A546-64D8C680F1F2
Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? D64F5B3D-F350-45C9-A761-22DB7806F65D
Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? 6940B5C7-15DF-4622-ADE3-00CF87D406F1

CT has ā€¦ 6.5' bed,
Thatā€™s the question though - does it actually?

because if it doesnā€™t quite have a 6.5ā€™ bed (except for that bottom ~3ā€ knotch), and meanwhile has materially less rear seat cargo room, that will make it an in-betweener

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
The cybertruck is one crazy machine. The development of this thing is reminiscent of "the homer". Hopefully it has a better fate.

Ford F-150 Lightning How can cybertruck provides 6.5 feet bed? homer-simpsons

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I donā€™t think thatā€™s true - Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and with my seat Iā€™m the preferred position, the rear of the console is not far from that positioning. But feel free to take them all the way back:

0E4FA5F8-B51E-4A2C-8447-8E8A8D2A0A4A.jpeg

Either way you cut it, whatever photos you use the CT rear seat appears clearly many inches smaller than the SuperCrew:

3FEA4599-69B9-41B7-8046-82BF3F900220.png
8D15636C-39A0-47BB-A546-64D8C680F1F2.jpeg
D64F5B3D-F350-45C9-A761-22DB7806F65D.png
6940B5C7-15DF-4622-ADE3-00CF87D406F1.jpeg

Thatā€™s the question though - does it actually?

because if it doesnā€™t quite have a 6.5ā€™ bed (except for that bottom ~3ā€ knotch), and meanwhile has materially less rear seat cargo room, that will make it an in-betweener
Ergonomics look very challenging in all the photos I've seen. That back seat looks a lot smaller, and so does the entry door.

The lack of inside storage is another thing people will need to give up. No space in the center, seat backs, under the seats, in the doors, etc.

Since they've never fully demonstrated the interior, the frunk, or any other storage, that could just be a sign that they haven't finalized them.

They moved the production to 2024, so there's time to work them out. As I've mentioned before, by then the market will be a lot more crowded. They've lost the 1st to market advantage, so their only choice now is to use that time to improve upon the competitions favorite features. That's why they decided to add 4 wheel steering to compete with Hummer's crab walk mode, and they've repeated Rivian's 4 motor drive.

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Ergonomics look very challenging in all the photos I've seen. That back seat looks a lot smaller, and so does the entry door.

The lack of inside storage is another thing people will need to give up. No space in the center, seat backs, under the seats, in the doors, etc.

Since they've never fully demonstrated the interior, the frunk, or any other storage, that could just be a sign that they haven't finalized them.

They moved the production to 2024, so there's time to work them out. As I've mentioned before, by then the market will be a lot more crowded. They've lost the 1st to market advantage, so their only choice now is to use that time to improve upon the competitions favorite features. That's why they decided to add 4 wheel steering to compete with Hummer's crab walk mode, and they've repeated Rivian's 4 motor drive.
They said production would start next summer. The 2nd row space is really miserable, it is a full size truck. I would rather sacrifice bed length instead.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
They said production would start next summer. The 2nd row space is really miserable, it is a full size truck. I would rather sacrifice bed length instead.
They've missed quite a few promised start dates, but this time I think they're going to actually deliver something, but I think a lot of the features that were promised won't make the final cut... and others will be added.

One thing I don't expect to improve are the interior dimensions and ergonomics. The shape sets quite a few limits on what they can do on the inside. The outside dimensions match a Full Sized Truck, but the interior will be a mixed bag... some parts larger than normal, others smaller.

The 2nd row of the 4 door SuperCrew F-150 has always been hard to beat on every level... legroom, headroom, easy access and the space under the seats, especially when you put the seats up.

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The 2nd row of the 4 door SuperCrew F-150 has always been hard to beat on every level... legroom, headroom, easy access and the space under the seats, especially when you put the seats up.
I only wish 2nd row seats in F150 would recline a little more. It is super spacious.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
And these 2 photos show reason #278 why I much prefer the Lightning to the Cybertruck. Lightning has lots of leg room, climate vents, 12V, USB, and 120V power, cupholder, and a fold down armrest. Plus fold up seats for more storage.

Cybertruck has.....seats.

I have absolutely ZERO interest in Cybertruck for many reasons. (Other than watching the circus that seems to follow anything Tesla related)

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
As someone who is always the driver and has a bunch of friends who always bum a ride, a smaller backseat is a welcome feature. As long as the front is as spacious and comfortable as I need it to be, let the freeloaders get squeezed in the back. I'll take an extra foot of bed any day of the week. The Lightning cab dimensions have made my friends even more eager to ask me to drive.

halo36

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I have followed both vehicles and currently have the Lightning because I knew it would launch pretty close to the stated date, whereas the CT would be behind schedule like every other new Tesla ever made. That being said, there has been talk about the CT being shrunk from the original concept / prototype because it wouldn't fit in a standard garage. Ford insured this could happen, Tesla seemed to think of that as an afterthought, similar to the windshield wiper saga. If you don't care about standard sizes when you build a prototype, you can make the bed whatever size you want. But as others have stated, we will see what the final dimensions come out to be when they build one for sale.

Sponsored

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
The front is 12" shorter than a typical truck which gives the back 12" to grow. Ford was forced to keep the same proportions as a gas engine truck.
I am glad the Lightning looks like a regular F150 (mostly) and does not stand-out. I like to be just another vehicle on the road.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Iā€™m not sure ā€œforcedā€ is the right word. Itā€™s a design choice that was made to appease the legacy truck buyer. Much like the clumsy shifter handle and oversized door handles.
Big handles and other oversized stuff are important when wearing heavy work gloves.
Sponsored