• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
The post to which I linked says that they changed the default spec from the 10 kW model to the 4 kW model for "standard" installs. I haven't studied it, SunRun doesn't serve my area, and I don't have any special knowledge - just trying to pass on helpful info.
Yep I saw the referenced thread when it originally started at the beginning of this month…I thought it was interesting that SunRun “quietly” decided to change the provided equipment w/o explanation. To date, I haven’t been able to find out the impact of this change….there (you all) are much smarter/informed on this topic in general, so I’m going to continue to watch and learn before I do anything concrete besides install my included FCSP when it eventually 🤞🤔 arrives……

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
All 4 models are capable of 9.6 KW in off-grid mode. The lower ratings only apply when feeding the grid. We will have 9.6 KW available for emergency backup.
I see what you're saying, so if you don't plan to net meter or back feed the grid, it really won't matter? Our net metering policies are terrible. Higher base rate, demand surcharge, and wholesale buyback.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see what you're saying, so if you don't plan to net meter or back feed the grid, it really won't matter? Our net metering policies are terrible. Higher base rate, demand surcharge, and wholesale buyback.
Right. Only 4 kW feed-in capability if you have another source of grid power active.

For those who are interested in solar PV, it's going to add complexity and I think it's fairly short-sighted because they're going to have to deal with the interactions of several different inverters.

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
Right. Only 4 kW feed-in capability if you have another source of grid power active.

For those who are interested in solar PV, it's going to add complexity and I think it's fairly short-sighted because they're going to have to deal with the interactions of several different inverters.
How is that a complication? Most of the hybrid solar inverters you see now can blend and or prioritize multiple inputs (PV, generator, battery, grid). Many even include software for maximizing profit to time of use and net metering.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How is that a complication? Most of the hybrid solar inverters you see now can blend and or prioritize multiple inputs (PV, generator, battery, grid). Many even include software for maximizing profit to time of use and net metering.
It means that if you anticipate sending more than 4 kW to the grid, you'll have to pair the HIS with different inverters (micro-inverters or another string inverter). I'd rather have a single box do it, but the step down to 4 kW grid feed-in seems short-sighted.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
It means that if you anticipate sending more than 4 kW to the grid, you'll have to pair the HIS with different inverters (micro-inverters or another string inverter). I'd rather have a single box do it, but the step down to 4 kW grid feed-in seems short-sighted.
Probably more like upsizing 📈 profit margin’s 💵💵 from what was originally advertised/promised for the same price💵

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Oh, wondering if this solaredge ev inverter is the solution to our charging challenges. Replace our existing inverter, no new sub panel, no service upgrade, no digging, no new meter.. But I’m not tech savy when it comes to electrical stuff. Is it supposed to be able to use the truck as power source during peak periods.? This could easily pay for our ev charging without even adding to our solar. By

That's actually pretty good. They specifically mention an "off grid mode" and it looks like it can run an AC coupled or DC coupled external battery which adds some flexibility. It would still be pretty difficult to run a whole house with only 9.6kw and 40 amps though. You would need propane for water heating, general heating, cloth drying, and cooking. You could probably run a decent sized mini split though. I wonder if a propane generator could be substituted for the "grid" in their diagrams since they don't show a generator input.

For reference, the Solar Edge Energy Hub 11,400kw hybird inverter with Ev charging built in managed 10,300 watts in "back up power mode" and 43 amps continous for around $3,800 which is almost the same price as the Sunrun HIS equipment.

https://www.solar.com/learn/the-new-solaredge-ev-charging-single-phase-inverter/

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def...-prism-technology-high-power-datasheet-na.pdf

Sponsored

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
Oh, wondering if this solaredge ev inverter is the solution to our charging challenges. Replace our existing inverter, no new sub panel, no service upgrade, no digging, no new meter.. But I’m not tech savy when it comes to electrical stuff. Is it supposed to be able to use the truck as power source during peak periods.? This could easily pay for our ev charging without even adding to our solar. By
The SolarEdge Energy hub does not support V2H directly like the Sunrun system does. In the event of an outage with the SolarEdge system, you would rely on the 7.2kw@240v inverter located in the truck bed. Essentially, your LIghtning would just become a backup generator for the system. In theory, this should work just fine but it currently isn't known if the SolarEdge system would have a problem with the bonded neutral (instead of a floating ground) of the Lightning.

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
The SolarEdge Energy hub does not support V2H directly like the Sunrun system does. In the event of an outage with the SolarEdge system, you would rely on the 7.2kw@240v inverter located in the truck bed. Essentially, your LIghtning would just become a backup generator for the system. In theory, this should work just fine but it currently isn't known if the SolarEdge system would have a problem with the bonded neutral (instead of a floating ground) of the Lightning.
Thank you for the information. That is helpful…

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
Essentially, your LIghtning would just become a backup generator for the system. In theory, this should work just fine but it currently isn't known if the SolarEdge system would have a problem with the bonded neutral (instead of a floating ground) of the Lightning.
I contacted Sol-Ark about doing this same thing with their 12K model. Their response: "Our generator input accepts any stand alone 240V split phase power source (2 hots legs). The fact that the neutral is bonded in the circuit at the truck is ok. So, based on this it sounds like the proposed configuration would work. However, we have not tested capability with a configuration like you described, nor am I super familiar with the specifications of the output capabilities of the truck, so please do your due diligence."

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
watchmaker
I contacted Sol-Ark about doing this same thing with their 12K model. Their response: "Our generator input accepts any stand alone 240V split phase power source (2 hots legs). The fact that the neutral is bonded in the circuit at the truck is ok. So, based on this it sounds like the proposed configuration would work. However, we have not tested capability with a configuration like you described, nor am I super familiar with the specifications of the output capabilities of the truck, so please do your due diligence."
Thats great info! would you mind sharing why you like the Sol Ark hybrid inverter? I like the SolarEdge energy Hub because it really seems to offer everything including built in EV charging.

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def..._inverter_integrated_ev_charger_SetApp_na.pdf

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
Thats great info! would you mind sharing why you like the Sol Ark hybrid inverter? I like the SolarEdge energy Hub because it really seems to offer everything including built in EV charging.

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def..._inverter_integrated_ev_charger_SetApp_na.pdf
Only reason I looked at the Sol Ark is a local PV installer sells them. They are quite expensive and I haven't decided to get one yet. I will definitely research the SolarEdge too.
Sponsored