• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do I need any documents from the dealer to claim the $7500 tax credit ?

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Do I need any documents from the dealer for the 7500 tax credit.

I usually file via turbo tax anyone know how it works with turbo tax ?

thanks
Sponsored

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
Do I need any documents from the dealer for the 7500 tax credit.

I usually file via turbo tax anyone know how it works with turbo tax ?

thanks
Look up "IRS form 8936" I think this is the form that will be filled out. The IRS has an about section and instructions too. Turbo Tax essentially fills out these forms by asking you questions, but I've never done one for an EV. Check to see if you need a better (more expensive) version of turbo tax too.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You don't need to include dealer docs with your return. I've had the IRS come back and ask for stuff, but most people do not have that. TurboTax will walk you through what is needed. States often request different things, depending on their incentive programs. Your profile says you're in Texas, and I believe they have a $2500 rebate for 2022. Once again TurboTax should guide you.

OP
OP

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
You don't need to include dealer docs with your return. I've had the IRS come back and ask for stuff, but most people do not have that. TurboTax will walk you through what is needed. States often request different things, depending on their incentive programs. Your profile says you're in Texas, and I believe they have a $2500 rebate for 2022. Once again TurboTax should guide you.

thanks for the info I think the tx rebate program ended months ago butI defiantly will go look again lol

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I think 4 years ago for a Tesla it asked for the delivery date and VIN. It was very simple and straight forward.

Sponsored

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I can confirm you need just purchase date, VIN and year/make/model for Form 8936. Did it for the 2021 tax year on TurboTax for our previous RAV4 Prime.

I believe there will still be the 30% credit on charging aka EVSE equipment and related circuits/wiring. I got a $174 credit for work I did myself inc the wiring + the Grizzl-E EVSE. Back when copper was cheaper, so the credit was less.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
All advice given above is accurate, but I would retain copies of:

The sales document,

A copy of the manufacturer's certificate/statement of origin, they usually make copies of this for the bank and your insurance company, before sending it to the registry of MV as those folks want the original to convert to a owners title, which (IN MASS) only gets printed after the financing agreement is paid in full.

The registration slip which you normally carry in your glove box.

Invoices or work order/contract/receipts for the electrical work done on your home to install the EVSE.

Any of this ~might~ be asked for in the future, either after return processing has started at the IRS to resolve QRDT (Questionable Refund Detection Team) flag, these folks are support workers for criminal investigation division, generally trying to root out gross fraud, this does not happen often but depending on how buggy the analytical code revisions are, SHTF on occasion.

Within 3 years you could be subject to a random TCMP audit (tax compliance measurement program) or a targeted project to sample percentage of claims for refund which involve a form 8936
Sponsored

Last edited: