• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I am almost certain that you have to set up a preferred charging location to limit the charge to 100%. I am not sure about L3 chargers, but videos I have seen show them charging all the way to 100% or 90%+ before they disconnect it. I will test it on Wednesday and see if it will stop past 90% or keep going. I have a stretch of 220 miles I have to go without a charger, so I am going to take it to 90% and maybe a few more. I am pretty sure it will not stop since I don't have a preferred charging location set.

I know I have charged at other L2 chargers away from my home, and they will go all the way to 100% unless I set a limit.
You’re conflating the L2 limit which is determined by location settings, and the one time limit.
The one time limit affects the next charge (can be either L2 or DCFC) and will override any L2 location limit that would have been used had the one time limit not been set.
Location settings do not apply to DCFC.
Yes the default L2 (no location)is 100%, but if you set a one-time limit immediately prior to charging, it will be used.
Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? DCFCEC3A-326D-4467-B8BA-0816E40B5F12
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
over the last several days, I've seen that this is how the truck's Charging profile/limits work:

When at home, on LEvel2 240v power, it's going to charge to 100%, unless you tell it not to, or save some type of preset schedule.

When at a DC Fast Charger, it will default to 90%.
If you want to get past that, or to 100%, you have to tell it so. You are basically telling it for THAT one time only, even if you change this setting WHILE you are currently charging.
If you want to change it for the NEXT charging session, you have to do that when you are NOT yet charging.

That's what I've seen, but I find the 'setting' for all of this a little overkill and should be a lot easier and more intuitive. They provide a 'bar' to show your current 'set' Charge setting, but it's not something you would think you could simply move with your finger to set the charge level higher, it's just a pretty picture. And, the 'saving' of the change in your charge level is not really clear, either. I've made it work, but it is dog gone aggravating to have to do it every time.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Everyone has been super helpful!

Thanks - learned some more interesting tidbits about the Lightning.

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, Tesla Model Y
Suggest going and watching this interview starting at 27:02 to fully understand what Ford is watching the owners do with and to their vehicles (not always good things). Darren even explains that if Ford starts to see healthier charge habits that there is additional capacity that they may unlock for us. It’s a fascinating and honest look inside Ford and just how aware they are of what’s going on out here.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
over the last several days, I've seen that this is how the truck's Charging profile/limits work:

When at home, on LEvel2 240v power, it's going to charge to 100%, unless you tell it not to, or save some type of preset schedule.

When at a DC Fast Charger, it will default to 90%.
If you want to get past that, or to 100%, you have to tell it so. You are basically telling it for THAT one time only, even if you change this setting WHILE you are currently charging.
If you want to change it for the NEXT charging session, you have to do that when you are NOT yet charging.

That's what I've seen, but I find the 'setting' for all of this a little overkill and should be a lot easier and more intuitive. They provide a 'bar' to show your current 'set' Charge setting, but it's not something you would think you could simply move with your finger to set the charge level higher, it's just a pretty picture. And, the 'saving' of the change in your charge level is not really clear, either. I've made it work, but it is dog gone aggravating to have to do it every time.
The only difference between your narrative and the manual is that (according to the manual) you can set a one time limit during a session and it is used for that session, you don’t have to set before starting the charge. Manual is shown in post 16. It wouldn’t surprise me if the manual is wrong!

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I think what I meant was that you CAN set a 100% charge DURING your current charge, AND you can, afterwards, set it to 'one-time' charge the NEXT time to 100%, without then having to remember again to do so.

yes, they make it confusing - I want a SIMPLE way to set it to ALWAYS [DC FAST charge] to a certain rate that I WANT it to charge to, and then I CAN change that when needed. FORD doesn't need to decide these things for me. I know why they think they 'need' to do it, but I don't agree with it.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I think what I meant was that you CAN set a 100% charge DURING your current charge, AND you can, afterwards, set it to 'one-time' charge the NEXT time to 100%, without then having to remember again to do so.

yes, they make it confusing - I want a SIMPLE way to set it to ALWAYS [DC FAST charge] to a certain rate that I WANT it to charge to, and then I CAN change that when needed. FORD doesn't need to decide these things for me. I know why they think they 'need' to do it, but I don't agree with it.
Yes, it is confusing indeed.

I would like to see separate L3 vs L2 charge limits.

I believe that L2 is safe for 100% charge as the video above said.

Frequent use of L3 is not good for the batteries, I agree, but sometimes for a road trip, especially with unknown driving territory, that extra once in a while charge to 100% is necessary.

Glad that Ford is monitoring this data and will offer OTA updates to further unlock the capacity of our batteries.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I've had many DC stations stop my charging on cars before 100%.

It will be painfully slow to go 90-100 in terms of time unless you like slowwww.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Suggest going and watching this interview starting at 27:02 to fully understand what Ford is watching the owners do with and to their vehicles (not always good things). Darren even explains that if Ford starts to see healthier charge habits that there is additional capacity that they may unlock for us. It’s a fascinating and honest look inside Ford and just how aware they are of what’s going on out here.
Yes, they both watch the vehicle data AND social media very carefully.

On the Mach-E, they said the same thing. They did change our charging curve above 80%, used to be 14kW and now it's 44kW. They said they would unlock the 2021s to 91kW like the 2022s, it's unclear if that happened. Darren also said in a video last year that he would vary by usage - the responsible owner gets more capability, the person abusing the battery doesn't get it (my words). In short, he said they will do what it takes to have the 70% capacity at 8 years / 100,000 miles, including opening up more of the battery to achieve that.

Yes, it is confusing indeed.

I would like to see separate L3 vs L2 charge limits.

I believe that L2 is safe for 100% charge as the video above said.

Frequent use of L3 is not good for the batteries, I agree, but sometimes for a road trip, especially with unknown driving territory, that extra once in a while charge to 100% is necessary.

Glad that Ford is monitoring this data and will offer OTA updates to further unlock the capacity of our batteries.
Keep in mind that while in per kWh states, the TIME spent waiting to get to 100% costs you anything, in per MINUTE states it does. Per minute states are cheaper during the speedy part of the power curve, delivering between 1.5 and 1.75 kWh per minute (for the Mach-E). But, when they slow down, the per minute rates can get quite expensive.

You can see which states are per minute here - https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
it's true that 90-100% is painfully 'slow', relatively, but sometimes you just HAVE to have that full charge to get to where you are going - we don't have a DC Fast Charger on every corner, and certainly not in every city, and sometimes very few in any STATE... right now you don't need to 'skimp' on charging when you are traveling. In the future, charging up to 80% will be just fine, WHEN things change.

Sponsored
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I've had many DC stations stop my charging on cars before 100%.

It will be painfully slow to go 90-100 in terms of time unless you like slowwww.
Yes I am aware of that - I am trying to see if I can skip a very short DCFC station for my trip to Las Vegas.

ABRP says to stop at a 12 min charger and then to a longer 46 min charger stop before reaching Las Vegas.

My group (Tesla So Cal) is doing a 70+ EV group drive and another SR Lightning owner is saying that he has done the leg without stopping at the 12 min charger stop but requires a 100% charge before leaving So Cal.

So if I can get full 100% DCFC from start, I think I can get to the 46 min charge location without stopping for the short 12 min charger.
Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.51.09 AM

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yes I am aware of that - I am trying to see if I can skip a very short DCFC station for my trip to Las Vegas.

ABRP says to stop at a 12 min charger and then to a longer 46 min charger stop before reaching Las Vegas.

My group (Tesla So Cal) is doing a 70+ EV group drive and another SR Lightning owner is saying that he has done the leg without stopping at the 12 min charger stop but requires a 100% charge before leaving So Cal.

So if I can get full 100% DCFC from start, I think I can get to the 46 min charge location without stopping for the short 12 min charger.
Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.51.09 AM.png
What is your target End SoC setting in ABRP? Outside of starting SoC and the vehicle-specific mi/kWh (or calibration if you’re using a linked OBD), I’m finding that having biggest impact on charging stop recommendations in ABRP for any given route. What was the other Lightning owner’s SoC when he reached Vegas?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Someone did a spreadsheet but they could have converted it to a formula to input what is better sort of results.
If the short DC stop is close to route and well within the range at 70-80MPH travel then I'd stop there.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
What is your target End SoC setting in ABRP? Outside of starting SoC and the vehicle-specific mi/kWh (or calibration if you’re using a linked OBD), I’m finding that having biggest impact on charging stop recommendations in ABRP for any given route. What was the other Lightning owner’s SoC when he reached Vegas?
I am checking with the other Lightning driver about speeds he maintained and what SOC upon charger arrival.

I changed some parameters on the ABRP map and lowered the speed from 90MPH to 70MPH and SOC 10% at charger/destination.

I can make the trip with 90% at start and end up with 19% at Baker (EA charger).

So relieved !

Thanks @Firestop for the tips on using ABRP map!
Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.44.59 PM
Sponsored