• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers)

Big guy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ranger, 2008 Shelby GT, 2013 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
Agreed but I think the 1st step is making sure PG&E accepts that it will work with Lightning. Once that get confirmed I could go to my local electric company and ask for approval to install. I would have to pay for it of course. With the increase of EV ownership and the increase in demand for home EV charging (local building codes here now mandate 240V available for EV charging in new home builds) It would seem the local electric company should have no reason not to agree to do it if I pay for the unit. I would
have to buy the unit direct from the MFG not PG&E.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Agreed but I think the 1st step is making sure PG&E accepts that it will work with Lightning. Once that get confirmed I could go to my local electric company and ask for approval to install. I would have to pay for it of course. With the increase of EV ownership and the increase in demand for home EV charging (local building codes here now mandate 240V available for EV charging in new home builds) It would seem the local electric company should have no reason not to agree to do it if I pay for the unit. I would
Keep us updated if you make headway. The similar product, Generlink (which truly looks like it will not work with the bonded neutral) is not embraced by Oncor (North Texas transmission and distribution only - they own the meters) at all. Other electrical distributors in the area do allow them and have some installed, but Oncor doesn't seem to want to even talk about it. I'm poking the bear and trying to find individuals to reach out to, but the general answer is no - won't even discuss it.

I have to assume they believe something about the devices are not safe, won't properly protect a back feed with the internal switching or feel threatened by a device like this for an area they haven't been very inventive with.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
“F150” is on PG&E’s approved list - see post 50.

Big guy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ranger, 2008 Shelby GT, 2013 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
“F150” is on PG&E’s approved list - see post 50.
I saw that on the list before but I don't see that it differentiates between an ICE F150 and the Lightning.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I saw that on the list before but I don't see that it differentiates between an ICE F150 and the Lightning.
ProPower is ProPower…..

Sponsored

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
As some of you may know, PG&E has been in the headlines for flipping the breaker when certain areas are under threat of fire. Usually during high wind events in CA. We live in the country and depend on a water well. PGE has tried to mitigate the issues by offering free powerwalls (I missed that one), free 240V generators (meh, got that already) but recently they’ve offered a device like this one. https://www.generlink.com/ for free to us. I read the specs and signed up. a Few weeks ago they showed up and installed it on our meter in under 30 minutes. Their guy had me sign the paperwork, he briefly explained it, handed my a 35 foot cord and instructions and took off. Although the plug should fit our 240V bed outlet, it’s too fat and hits the dust/rain flap so it cannot be inserted properly. So I ordered an 8 foot heavy duty extension here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JJPS7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details and it’s perfect for the job. So now for under $50 I have exactly what I need to power our house (I’ll have to shut off the spa, one water heater and not run the dryer) but otherwise we should be good to go for the winter. I know not everyone can get One of these from their utility but in some states you can purchase one and the utility will install it for you. For us, it’s really a great solution. We lost power for a week a few years ago and playing Games with a noisy generator and extension cords, gas cans etc for old real quick. Hope this helps others. The whole setup takes me under 2 minutes to connect in the event we lose Power. Some pics and few relevant links.
https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...ngs-programs/backup-power-transfer-meter.page

IMG_2910.jpeg
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg
IMG_2898.jpeg
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2884.jpeg
A
Interesting looks like it just goes in between the smart meter and the panel? Do you know if this has any affect or complicates things for solar or solar battery backup?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I hope that PG&E has enough of these distributed to show their worth. It just came to light yesterday that the big TX fire burning for the last week or two was likely started from a downed wire. I can see more power companies taking the stance of shutting off some power in a bad storm or high wind. Doesn't seem plausible, but just maybe it would if nearly every home had a device that likely only costs a couple hundred to build in mass and over the years more homeowners would invest in a reasonable generator or will end up with a massive battery in the vehicle they drive every day.

Oncor in TX has decided to just put their head in the sand, or at least they won't talk about the meter add on's.

Jeffgtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning
FYI in case this isn’t covered elsewhere in the threads….

i was approved for this, but they could not install it because i have a 400A service panel and this device is only for 200A.

also, it is not an automatic transfer. The loads have to be taken down in order for the backup power to be let through by the meter. It will automatically go to the utility service once it comes back on, but there cannot be any load present before it switches to the backup. So you will still have to reset all your clocks. :)
Sponsored