• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers)

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, Tesla Model Y
As some of you may know, PG&E has been in the headlines for flipping the breaker when certain areas are under threat of fire. Usually during high wind events in CA. We live in the country and depend on a water well. PGE has tried to mitigate the issues by offering free powerwalls (I missed that one), free 240V generators (meh, got that already) but recently they’ve offered a device like this one. https://www.generlink.com/ for free to us. I read the specs and signed up. a Few weeks ago they showed up and installed it on our meter in under 30 minutes. Their guy had me sign the paperwork, he briefly explained it, handed my a 35 foot cord and instructions and took off. Although the plug should fit our 240V bed outlet, it’s too fat and hits the dust/rain flap so it cannot be inserted properly. So I ordered an 8 foot heavy duty extension here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JJPS7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details and it’s perfect for the job. So now for under $50 I have exactly what I need to power our house (I’ll have to shut off the spa, one water heater and not run the dryer) but otherwise we should be good to go for the winter. I know not everyone can get One of these from their utility but in some states you can purchase one and the utility will install it for you. For us, it’s really a great solution. We lost power for a week a few years ago and playing Games with a noisy generator and extension cords, gas cans etc for old real quick. Hope this helps others. The whole setup takes me under 2 minutes to connect in the event we lose Power. Some pics and few relevant links.
https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...ngs-programs/backup-power-transfer-meter.page

Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2910
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2909
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2900
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2898
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2899
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_2884
A
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for this info, I had not heard of this device or the PGE program to provide them for free. Note that the PGE link you provided mentions that the program is over for 2023 but will be resumed again in 2024.

I am in a Tier 2 Fire threat area, so should qualify. For anyone wondering, I found the Tier map here: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5bdb921d747a46929d9f00dbdb6d0fa2

Do you know what the max power usage can be when using the 240 outlet? I assume it's about 7.2 KW (30 amp x 240V), does that sound right?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like you've already done a test, no problems with main panel bonded neutral tripping the PPOB GFCI?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you know what the max power usage can be when using the 240 outlet? I assume it's about 7.2 KW (30 amp x 240V), does that sound right?
Yes.

zeus2023

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER Agate Black Metallic
The Generlink website has a list of compatible generators which indicates it is not compatible with F-150 (which I assume includes the Lightning.....
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) Generlink.JPG

Sponsored

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Hi @Wsh68 thanks for posting!

Have you had a chance to test it out yet? Just wondering if it actually works without throwing any faults.

If it works well, then this looks like exactly the solution I've been looking for!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Watched the video. I'm guessing he can't test until power actually goes out. The auto-transfer switch is internal to the device and between the meter and main breaker.

OP
OP

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watched the video. I'm guessing he can't test until power actually goes out. The auto-transfer switch is internal to the device and between the meter and main breaker.
I asked the PGE installer if I could do a quick test. He said “not really since it’s grid dependent“. I think the biggest challenge will be for me to calculate what I can leave on and what I need to turn off in order to not pop circuits on the Lightning. We are 100% electric so there’s lots of things to leave on and or turn off until we get full power back. We also have a 14KW solar array but that won’t be of any use when the grid Is down.

OP
OP

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Generlink website has a list of compatible generators which indicates it is not compatible with F-150 (which I assume includes the Lightning.....
Generlink.JPG
Interesting that they even list it. I won’t know until we lose power and if need be I’ll haul out the big Yamaha genset we have.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
will be interesting to see
Interesting that they even list it. I won’t know until we lose power and if need be I’ll haul out the big Yamaha genset we have.
will be interesting to see. have bookmarked this thread and waiting until you can report. thanks for the info

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Holy cow that is so much easier than the neutral switching transfer switch I installed!

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
But you know yours will work.
If I had to place a bet, my money would on GFCI trip for the Generlink.
I think you are probably right. There's no getting around the fact that branch circuit neutrals are bonded to ground at the main panel. The Lightning really hates that.

OP
OP

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
will be interesting to see

will be interesting to see. have bookmarked this thread and waiting until you can report. thanks for the info
See below.

FYI…see below. Had the chance this morning to test it.

OP
OP

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I figured we would go all season without a power outage. Some bozo hit a pole around 8 AM this morning and took out power to our side of town. I didn’t know how long it would be out so I raced to set it up. Took me longer to back the truck up than anything else. 3 minutes and we were powering our house with the Lightning. We are still out of power and I’ve played Around a bit to pressure test it. Tesla charges no problem, well runs fine, water heater all good and the coffee maker does its thing All at the same time and we didn’t even get close to the limit. Granted, we won’t fire up the hot tub nor the electric clothes dryer but this is perfect for our situation. Basically, our house is fully functioning. my wife signed up for PG&E text alerts so we know when it comes back on. Otherwise, we’d have no idea And that’s how I like it. Anyway, this is the ticket to getting power in to your house and it was FREE from PG&E. I think the off the shelf system is about $600 in other states.
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4223

Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4226
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4224
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4225
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4228
Ford F-150 Lightning Easy way to safely access backup power for home and free (for some PG&E customers) IMG_4229
Sponsored